Using Equalizer on KI 396

jwc

14 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

I think the 396 is tuned around 34 hz. Adding about 4-6 dB will change the cutoff of the speaker. And because of the way a vented system works, will add very little additional distortion. I may try this in the lab.......

That is what I was looking for.  This unlocks a whole new potential for this speaker.

4 hours ago, Chris A said:

It seems to support the Bode plot:

1880728398_KI-396Zplot.thumb.JPG.86d01a85deb0181205361a749ed917c7.JPG

But adding 8th space (corner) over half space (floor) loading usually does produce about one octave more low end FR with well-designed Klipsch models. 

Chris

Chris this plot does support the appropriate 34hz tuning Roy mentioned.

=== in layman’s terms can someone help explain these findings? Exactly what does “tuned to 34hz mean”? I have thought off/on on a pair of 396 and decided they are more of a large space, marginal bass design. Am I wrong - or is a powered sub all the help they need - or do they need electronic/active assistance to be their best? 

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

have thought off/on on a pair of 396 and decided they are more of a large space, marginal bass design. Am I wrong - 

You are wrong.   They will work with powered subs. If you want to push them, you will need AT LEAST one 18' IMO, ideally two.  Seems like most on the forum aren't into that sort of thing.   So for stated 85 dB or so, you could get by with one powered 15" I think depending on the size of your room.   An SVS SB13-Ultra kept up fine with the pair even up to high 100 dB mark if I had wanted.  

Now I am confused. I think you just told Richie he was wrong, then agreed with his assessment of just adding a sub if you want low, low end.

If I remember correctly from reading the thread on the Pilgrimage, they had a pair set up outside with a 1502 (may have been 1802) sub, and it blew everyone away. Now that was outdoors. Indoors you could probably get by with a sub that is not the size of a Buick.

Back to the question at hand, is the EQ needed to avoid using a sub or is it needed even with a sub?

I have a pair of custom KI-362's (same cabinet and woofer as the 396's) and bass seems plentiful to me, very similar to the Chorus 1's maybe a little tighter / faster but they seem to reach just as low and I don't feel the need for a sub at all. Bass guitar and drums sound real like they're in the room with great impact. I would be curious to see what could be done to extend the low end if a simple EQ tweak could make a significant change without sacrificing sound quality it may very well be worth while I suppose.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Now I am confused. I think you just told Richie he was wrong, then agreed with his assessment of just adding a sub if you want low, low end.

If I remember correctly from reading the thread on the Pilgrimage, they had a pair set up outside with a 1502 (may have been 1802) sub, and it blew everyone away. Now that was outdoors. Indoors you could probably get by with a sub that is not the size of a Buick.

Back to the question at hand, is the EQ needed to avoid using a sub or is it needed even with a sub?

I was starting wrong to the "large space, marginal bass design comment".   I use them indoors in a small space and they have PLENTY of bass output, they just don't extend deeply.   With corner reinforment, they do quite well, but the tonal balance is all wrong and they become bass heavy and lacking up top IMO.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

My point would be to use without sub.  I had suspected a low tuning point as stated and the idea of adding EQ without distortion.

• Like 1

No matter what tuning you use, you can't get to 20 Hz. without a sub. In my case 2 subs (soon to be 4) that can get to 16 Hz.......................bring on those pipe organ recordings and Blue Ray movies!! But, I must admit, most of the music is above 35 Hz. (31 Hz. for the fat string on a 5 or 6 string electric bass).