Adequate Receiver For Speakers

Atomic4877

Hi all, My current speaker setup is two R-820F's, a set of R-51M', the R-34C, four R-41SA Atmos modules and a R-120SW. My receiver is a Denon x4300h. My question is if my receiver has adequate power for my speakers, or do I need an power amplifier as well? I just got these speakers and do not want to damage them by sending two little power to the speakers. I only watch movies with these and at the very most will have the volume on the receiver set to -10db, but mostly watch between -20db to -15db. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. These are my first set of Klipsch and I know they are efficient, but I am not sure if they paid well with my receiver. 

Your Denon 4300 should be good to go for listening the way you describe. 

You might ad an amp if you want higher performance such as greater headroom, more dynamics.  You have a great setup, I think I'd run it as-is.

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Your Denon 4300 should be good to go for listening the way you describe. 

You might ad an amp if you want higher performance such as greater headroom, more dynamics.  You have a great setup, I think I'd run it as-is.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I just wasn’t sure if A: the receiver was powerful enough (had a 5.1.4 Pioneer Andrew Jones setup before this) and b: if an power amp in the $350 range would make that much of an audible difference in my setup. If it will make a large difference I may go ahead

and do it, but if negligible I will hold off. I forgot to mention in the previous post that my room dimensions are approx. 16’ x 16’.

Edited by Atomic4877

11 hours ago, Atomic4877 said:

and b: if an power amp in the $350 range would make that much of an audible difference in my setup.

That's a specific number, do you have something in mind?  Or is that your budget amount?

The reason I'm asking is power amps are expensive, in the $1000 range and up.  Used amps can be found but they are in high demand and usually sell fast.  I found a used Emotiva XPA-5 last year for $300 but I was extremely lucky to find it for that price.  It was being advertised on a non-standard  (not CL, not Ebay, etc) on-line sales forum and a forum member let me know it was out there.

I used the 200 wpc XPA-5 with my 100 wpc Onkyo 717 AVR as a pre-amp.  I found it gave a fuller sound to my power-hungry CF-4 especially in the bass.

I am pretty new to the idea of an external amplifier. I was looking at different amplifiers on Best Buy and Crutchfield websites. It looks as if there are some brands that are around the $350 price range. I believe some of the brands range from Behringer, Rosspower, Samson etc... I was also looking into the Emotiva UPA-200, but it looks as if that model is no longer sold. I am honestly not sure what I need, what brands are good and what power the amplifier should have per channel at 8 ohms to power my two R820f’s.

If you are open to doing a little work, I have a suggestion. You could pick up a used Crestron 16x65 amp. They are designed to be whole home audio amps that work with Crestron control panels. Many are being removed from homes where they are updating to newer tech. You can pick these up for under $300. You can then bridge the 16 channels into 8 which nets you 8 channels at 220 watts per channel all channels driven. It is an incredible amount of clean power for super cheap. You would need to spend closer to 3,000 to match it. If you are interested, let me know and I can send you more information. I use this as one of my amps and it works great. 

Cheers, Paul

I dug a little deeper and it definitely is looking like I will need to bump my budget to $400-500. I believe I have narrowed it down to three amplifiers that should suit my setup well. The three I am looking at are the Audiosource AMP310VS $499 at Crutchfield, the Emotiva A-300 $399 and the Emotiva A-500 $499. Thoughts on these and which one would be best?