New Receiver, Did I get enough power??

chasec2021

Hey guys, over christmas I upgraded my mains to RF 82 iis. My current setup is this:

Fronts- RF 82 iis

Center- RC 62 ii

Surrounds- RB 51 ii

Front Heights RB 61 ii

BIC Accoustec Sub 

All of this is run off of a Denon 2200h. This receiver has been problematic since I bought it used. The left terminal has an issue, and have already paid to fix it once for around 200 bucks. Long story short, I made the decision yesterday to just go ahead and scrap this unit, and upgrade to something that has more channels and more power. I went with the Denon 4400h, which has 125 watts rms. My question to you guys is, is this going to be a noticeable upgrade from the 2200? For 899, I felt like this would be enough over the 95 watts I was getting from my 2200, but the RF 82  ii call for 150. Just wanted to know what you guys think about whether the 4400 should be enough power for what I now have. 

32 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

It'll be fine.  Although, if $900 is your price range I would very highly suggest this receiver:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7011/marantz-sr7011-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Can you elaborate why this unit is better than the one I got? They look more or less the same when it comes to specs.

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It is not as much about the power spec as it is about how well it handles impedance dips.  One way to know this is through the power specs at different impedances.  A quality amp will double power as impedance halves, in other words 125 at 8 ohms and 250 at 4.

How will i know if it will will drop from 8 ohms to 4? This is the kind of stuff I have never really understood

27 minutes ago, chasec2021 said:

Can you elaborate why this unit is better than the one I got? They look more or less the same when it comes to specs.

It's original retail is over $2,000.  It is nearly the flagship Marantz receiver.  Marantz is the higher end line in the company that owns them and Denon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

It's original retail is over $2,000.  It is nearly the flagship Marantz receiver.  Marantz is the higher end line in the company that owns them and Denon.

I guess I am more comfortable with sticking with my purchase since it will come with a 3 year warranty as opposed to a refurbed one year. Specs look pretty even in most aspects. Thanks for weighing in!

4 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

Here is a thought.  Keep your old Denon and repurpose it as an external amp.  You could use it to power your surround speakers to keep that lad off your main AVR. 

How can I know if my current AVR can even do that? Would I have to use specific terminals on there depending on which speaker they will be assigned to?

4 minutes ago, chasec2021 said:

How can I know if my current AVR can even do that? Would I have to use specific terminals on there depending on which speaker they will be assigned to?

Your DenonX-2200h does not have pre-outs so you can not use it as a pre-amp. That feature is usually found on upper/mid level AVRs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Your DenonX-2200h does not have pre-outs so you can not use it as a pre-amp. That feature is usually found on upper/mid level AVRs.

Does the AVR he is looking at have them?  I thought it did. 

Edited by Pinball_pw
  • Like 1

So your new receiver, the 4400, has pre-outs. Take the front left and front right and hook them to your stereo input of choice. Then hook up your front left and right speakers to your old 2200 and you should b good to go. 

Edited by Pinball_pw
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

Does the AVR he is looking at have them?  I thought it did. 

My bad....I missed this: 

7 hours ago, chasec2021 said:

I made the decision yesterday to just go ahead and scrap this unit, and upgrade to something that has more channels and more power. I went with the Denon 4400h

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pinball_pw said:

No worries Zen Traveler. We are both trying to help :)

11 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

My bad....I missed this: 

So, if i go this route, sending rca from my new preamp to my old 2200, can I use any terminals I want? or do they have to run through specific terminals depending on the speaker similar to how it comes from the actual av. For instance, if I want to add surrounds and use my old 2200 as the amp for the extra channels, can I use whatever speaker terminals? I ask because my front right speaker terminal only works half of the time, and if i have to use front left and right, then I will be in the same position I am already in. I am looking at just grabbing an Emotiva A 300 to add on and let those power my mains and let the 4400 handle the other 9 channels

Let me know what yall think!

1 minute ago, chasec2021 said:

So, if i go this route, sending rca from my new preamp to my old 2200, can I use any terminals I want? or do they have to run through specific terminals depending on the speaker similar to how it comes from the actual av. For instance, if I want to add surrounds and use my old 2200 as the amp for the extra channels, can I use whatever speaker terminals? I ask because my front right speaker terminal only works half of the time, and if i have to use front left and right, then I will be in the same position I am already in. I am looking at just grabbing an Emotiva A 300 to add on and let those power my mains and let the 4400 handle the other 9 channels

Let me know what yall think!

Unfortunately you will have to use the front left and right terminals. Emotive makes fine budget amps. You can buy more if you look for used,  but your plan is a good one.  I definitely understand buying new after your most recent experience with the Denon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinball_pw said:

Unfortunately you will have to use the front left and right terminals. Emotive makes fine budget amps. You can buy more if you look for used,  but your plan is a good one.  I definitely understand buying new after your most recent experience with the Denon. 

That was what I worried about if it would even work with the issue I am having. It would give me better power to roll with the Emotiva A 300 as it gives my 150 watts compared to the 95 coming from the 2200. I am new to the amp game, so would you be able to advise on whether emotiva has any large drawbacks compared to parasound when it comes to quality over paying the extra? 

1 minute ago, chasec2021 said:

That was what I worried about if it would even work with the issue I am having. It would give me better power to roll with the Emotiva A 300 as it gives my 150 watts compared to the 95 coming from the 2200. I am new to the amp game, so would you be able to advise on whether emotiva has any large drawbacks compared to parasound when it comes to quality over paying the extra? 

Both make good amps and have price points you can move up within their respective product lines. Honestly you should see a nice improvement with even their low end ones like the A300. Emotiva has a bumpy past with some people, but they seem better in recent years. Lots love their stuff. 

• Like 1