New Receiver, Did I get enough power??

chasec2021

1 minute ago, Pinball_pw said:

Both make good amps and have price points you can move up within their respective product lines. Honestly you should see a nice improvement with even their low end ones like the A300. Emotiva has a bumpy past with some people, but they seem better in recent years. Lots love their stuff. 

Thanks man. The amount of money to just power these things is ridiculous when you look at what you are already spending on the av receiver alone. I have always just run things through the AVR, but the more I read the more I feel that I am underpowering my speakers as it is. With the 4400 having the capability to add 2 channels through an external amp, that would put me at 400 +900 for a total of 1300, which is still less than the 11.2 6400 or 6500, with true RMS of 150 watts to my mains. I feel like spending 1000 just to get a parasound A23+ would be a tough one to pitch my wife to spend...

3 minutes ago, chasec2021 said:

Thanks man. The amount of money to just power these things is ridiculous when you look at what you are already spending on the av receiver alone. I have always just run things through the AVR, but the more I read the more I feel that I am underpowering my speakers as it is. With the 4400 having the capability to add 2 channels through an external amp, that would put me at 400 +900 for a total of 1300, which is still less than the 11.2 6400 or 6500, with true RMS of 150 watts to my mains. I feel like spending 1000 just to get a parasound A23+ would be a tough one to pitch my wife to spend...

You can always spend more money. This doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby, but it isn’t cheap either. Good luck with the new setup. I think you will be happy. Personally, I have put more into amps lately as they will stick in my system longer than an AVR or processor.  Tech changes frequently, but raw power lasts longer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chasec2021 said:

My question to you guys is, is this going to be a noticeable upgrade from the 2200? For 899, I felt like this would be enough over the 95 watts I was getting from my 2200, but the RF 82  ii call for 150. Just wanted to know what you guys think about whether the 4400 should be enough power for what I now have.

I would think it would be. Cross over at 80 Hz to your sub and see what you think. Honestly, that may be where you want to spend a little more money and forgo an amp you may not even need. I have run everything below with an AVR for almost 15 years on a nightly basis and hours at a time. :) 

12 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I would think it would be. Cross over at 80 Hz to your sub and see what you think. Honestly, that may be where you want to spend a little more money and forgo an amp you may not even need. I have run everything below with an AVR for almost 15 years on a nightly basis and hours at a time. :) 

Thanks for the input, Zen. I guess the reason I am going to do an amp is not only for the extra power, but this receiver can go up to 11 channels if you add an amp, so I will eventually want to have 11 channels. Until I am ready to jump to 7.1.4, I will let the 4400 power what I have. 

• Like 1