AVR for Chorus II pulling double duty

Sam S.

Hi---I have a secondary system in my basement with Chorus ii for mains. For the 2-channel part, I have a Marantz PM-700AV (circa 1990) that I bought new in 1991 that I'm pleased with when listening to vinyl and CD's. I'd say this system is 75% 2-channel, and well the question relates to the other 25% movies/video games. Right now, I have a lower end Yamaha (5810 I think) and I'm switching the speaker cables back and forth because it doesn't have any pre-outs.

I'm looking to simplify things, but considering the fact that this is maybe 25% HT, I don't want to spend a lot. Budget is likely about $500 max. My thoughts so far --- I have a Marantz SR6012 on my other system I'm pretty happy with (so another Marantz is an option) but maybe trying something new. The NAD T748 looks attractive to me. Any thoughts or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Sam S. said:

The NAD T748 looks attractive to me.

I think the T748 would be great in double duty especially if stereo music is it' main purpose.

1 hour ago, Sam S. said:

My thoughts so far --- I have a Marantz SR6012 on my other system I'm pretty happy with (so another Marantz is an option) but maybe trying something new.

If you are happy with the sound then why not?

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks. Two reasons, really. 1. Wanting to try something different in the other system. 2. price.  I'm looking at refurb, and the T748 can be had for around $420, while another Marantz in the 60xx line runs in the $750 (give or take) range.

When I say double duty -- I guess that needs to be clarified a bit because I'm looking to add just an AVR to my already existing 2-channel Marantz PM-700AV. So the Chorus II's are pulling double duty, but I'm looking to add just an AVR to the 2-channel integrated amp I already have. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the replies, but I already have an older Marantz that I'm using for the 2-channel/music that I'm happy with (see first post/question). I want to add an AVR to the mix for the 25% approx. of the time I'm using this system to watch a movie or xbox games.

Thanks for the suggestion on the speaker selector, but couldn't I just get an AVR and use the pre-outs to run the older Marantz I'm using for 2-channel?

• Like 1

Tough to get the best of both worlds from an AVR trying to do double duty.  I stopped doing surround stuff after I got out of that business...30 years of audio/video, automation, car audio manufacturers rep.  I guess I haven't had a surround setup since late 2008 and really don't miss it.  Now, I might do a little surround rig in my new upstairs music room in the new house but it will be 2 separate systems...one for 2 channel and one for 5.1 (don't care, really) with 5 smaller speakers and a small sub.  It would get occasional use at best as no one in the house really cares....including me.  But, it is fun on occasion to watch a movie in surround.  Wait...that's been over 10 years.  lol

If you could find a reasonably priced used Sunfire receiver that works and is in good shape, those are a beast.  I was the Manufacturers rep for Sunfire, NAD, & Onkyo/Integra for 10 years so I do have a preference to  those lines of which 3 I can still get at rep price.  :D  (not Sunfire, as they aren't part of the group they once were).  NAD was great when they were working right but I believe they got most of the bugs worked out.  They always seemed to be about 2 years behind everyone else in the technology but they were known as "a 2-channel company that has some AV stuff".

They are very few AVRs that will do music as good as a 2 channel stereo receiver. I always used one system like what you are suggesting until I heard a dedicated stereo setup and I won't go back. I have 2 setups now in my living room, but if I was using the same speakers on both, I would use this switch with 2 receivers. Obviously check for yourself, you might be fine with the quality.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sam S. said:

couldn't I just get an AVR and use the pre-outs to run the older Marantz I'm using for 2-channel?

Yes; why not?  I've got an Onkyo RZ810 AVR and use the pre-outs to feed a Marantz 2252B with KPT-904 speakers ... AWESOME! :D 

• Like 1