Superbowl 2019 & Playoffs

wvu80

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The more I listen to Romo the more impressed I am with him. It's amazing how fast he recognizes what's about to happen in the upcoming play and why.  I hated him when he played as, of course, he was a Cowboy and I hate everything about that organization but really enjoy his commentary. 

Romo sure knows what's going on, kind of like an autistic brother.

JJK

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Should Andy Reid called a timeout to let his defense catch a breath?

YES.

Should we make interference calls reviewable?

YES

Should the NFL adopt the college football overtime rules?

Yes

Should Shawn Peyton have simply run the ball with a minute and change left in the game?

Yes

• Like 2

So, for the last 10 years or so, I've placed $10 on each of 2 x NFC and 2 x AFC teams in April or so ... straight bet to win SuperBowl.  I've had both teams 3 times, including this year, Rams and my Pats.  So I'll pretty much break even if Pats win and will make a tiny bit if Rams win.  It keeps the season interesting.  In 10 years of doing this I am pretty much break even.

I think NO was robbed, due to that call, but really their coaching is not good.  That team had no business allowing the Rams to win.

I really like KC, esp. Andy Reid.  But, I love the Pats.  Yes, some people are bored with their constant attendance in playoffs.  I want them to tie the Steelers for most SB wins (one more will do it).  Then, Brady and BB need to ride off into the sunset with their megamillions and let the youngsters take over.  NE will need a pretty big overhaul and I'll have to cheer on the Bears for a few years until recovery sets in.

Go Pats! (or Rams for the money).

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

As well he should.  Thst non call changed the course of people's lives, legacies and careers.  Not to mention how it changed the path of millions if not billions of dollars.

Speaking of money, do you think the NFL should look at the bank accounts of the refs for suspicious activity?

JJK

I’m naive, but I’d like to see a mechanism, at least during playoff games, whereby a senior official has the authority, the duty, to direct the officials to review no-call situations like that at the end of the Saints-Rams game.  On field officials want to get it right.  Without the benefit of multiple camera angles and slow motion,  it’s unrealistic to expect perfection.  EVERYONE, including the participants, who had the opportunity to review the replays agreed the hit preceded the arrival of the ball.  Not to mention the high hit issue.

A supervising official should be able, required, to direct the field officials to review the replays.  This could be independent of the challenge system.

Regarding the Chiefs-Pats game, how stupid must #55 Ford feel for lining up offside?  That mistake cost KC the game.  A mistake prompted by agressive play; excusable.  A mistake caused by stupidity; inexcusable.

49 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I’d like to see a mechanism, at least during playoff games, whereby a senior official has the authority, the duty, to direct the officials to review no-call situations like that at the end of the Saints-Rams game.  On field officials want to get it right.  Without the benefit of multiple camera angles and slow motion,  it’s unrealistic to expect perfection.  EVERYONE, including the participants, who had the opportunity to review the replays agreed the hit preceded the arrival of the ball.  Not to mention the high hit issue.

I agree with you to a point, certainly I agree in principle, but what about the slippery slope?

Do you review the holding in the second quarter which wasn't called?  Do you review pass interference away from the ball on every play?  Do you review that roughing the passer call where the QB was hit in the face, but it really wasn't that bad but led to an INT?

I just don't see a path forward to make it fair for both sides, and not delay the flow of the game.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I agree with you to a point, certainly I agree in principle, but what about the slippery slope?

Do you review the holding in the second quarter which wasn't called?  Do you review pass interference away from the ball on every play?  Do you review that roughing the passer call where the QB was hit in the face, but it really wasn't that bad but led to an INT?

I just don't see a path forward to make it fair for both sides, and not delay the flow of the game.

Then there is the other scenario, was the ref out of position because he was tired?

JJK

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

In my perfect world, a senior official would have the opportunity, the authority, and the discretion to review any aspect of the game that suggests, mistake or missed opportunity on the part of field officials.  Naturally, discretion would allow the super official to overlook the types of situations you mention.  Those situations tend to balance each other out.  Although not perfect, it beats the snot out of a system without any mechanism to afford the opportunity to the field officials to avoid an egregious error that is easily avoided after reviewing from multiple angles at reduced speed.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

In my perfect world, a senior official would have the opportunity, the authority, and the discretion to review any aspect of the game that suggests, mistake or missed opportunity on the part of field officials.

Coaches get a couple of challenges a game (oversimplified for brevity)  and all challenges in the last two minutes of a game are booth reviews.

I saw Joe Thiesman on Fox News a few minutes ago and he may have the solution you are suggesting and addresses the concerns that I had.

Thiesman said coaches should get a special challenge ONCE per game, where an incident NOT OTHERWISE CHALLENGABLE in the rules like penalties called/not called, can be challenged.  The only thing that can be reviewed is the specific incident and no other action on the field.

What say you?

I like Joe’s suggestion, but I still see no reason to not allow a super official to invite, or order, the on-field refs to take advantage of replay technology to be certain they get it right.  The Super officials would use their discretion to ignore incidental holding, offsides, etc., and wield their super powers only when appropriate.

• Like 1