Anyone using RP-500SA as heights channel ?

lampsy86

I have them in this set up set to 80hz and switch to surround..

rear heights mounted to wall above listener..

as far a mininum setting that would be starting at 80hz and try 70hz and see if you like it, if not go in 5-10hz changes until your happy.

really depends on you and your room/equipment.80hz is always a good strating point mine are set at 80hz and my surrounds at 70hz fronts and center at 60hz.

11.2 SET UP.png

Edited by captjoe
update

21 minutes ago, captjoe said:

I have them in this set up set to 80hz and switch to surround.

rear heights mounted to wall above listener

Cool illustration.  You are certainly well setup for immersive sound with that setup. 

And please don't think I'm being "that guy" with my next comment, but you might want to check your spelling of "Heresy."  I only mention because I love your pic and I know speaking for myself, it's always hard to see my own spelling mistakes.

I also notice you are using Front Heights and Rear Heights, but not really Atmos.  I'm curious what kind of sound you're looking for by not using Atmos, and I presume your AVR supports another surround format such as Neural:X.  I think that's what my Marantz 6011 calls it.

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Cool illustration.  You are certainly well setup for immersive sound with that setup. 

And please don't think I'm being "that guy" with my next comment, but you might want to check your spelling of "Heresy."  I only mention because I love your pic and I know speaking for myself, it's always hard to see my own spelling mistakes.

I also notice you are using Front Heights and Rear Heights, but not really Atmos.  I'm curious what kind of sound you're looking for by not using Atmos, and I presume your AVR supports another surround format such as Neural:X.  I think that's what my Marantz 6011 calls it.

I'm using a Denon Avr-X6400H for receiver. I tried the set up with the RP-500 on top of my front RF-7 and realyl did no get  much from them. Moved them to the rear when I purchased the RP-600M bookshelf which I use as front heights. I am trying to get the upper fill with my heights and and greater separation.

• Like 1

I have them in this set up set to 80hz and switch to surround..
rear heights mounted to wall above listener..
as far a mininum setting that would be starting at 80hz and try 70hz and see if you like it, if not go in 5-10hz changes until your happy.
really depends on you and your room/equipment.80hz is always a good strating point mine are set at 80hz and my surrounds at 70hz fronts and center at 60hz.
304524923_11.2SETUP.thumb.png.ce4197626e0641914bf9f08a9b650c34.png
Tks [emoji4]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

@lampsy86 hi .. I have 2 pairs RP-500SA is awesome..if you have used for surround turn off switch.. in back .. (Atmos or surround height)  and crossover for surround is 80HZ for me .. but if you want to use Dolby Atmos crossover minimum is 150HZ ( https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-500sa-dolby-atmos-elevation-surround-speaker#product-specs) details manufacturer.. I used 200HZ ..is more dynamic and involvement for me .. read the link ..when you watch john wick scene cemetery raining with umbrellas talking (john and marcus) you will understand all

@schwock5

@wvu80

my system is 

Home theater 7.2.4 

AVR Marantz 7012 

Bluray 4k Panasonic DP ub820 

Front  klipsch RP-280F

Klipsch Center RP 504C  

Subwoofer klipsch R-110SW

Subwoofer SVS PB 1000

Klipsch Surround RB-41 II and 

Klipsch Surround back Rp-160m

Klipsch Dolby Atmos Rp 140SA front

Klipsch Dolby Atmos Rp  500SA back

Panamax MR4300

Emotiva BasX A-700 (7 channels used, 2 pair Dolby Atmos front and back L-C-R)

living Room size 13 x 31 (403 sq feet complete) (used front TV is 13 x 12 sq feet)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys - I’m still very confused by the crossover switch on 500sa. I have them setup as front heights and still not clear whether that specific application is designed for the switch to be on Atmos or Surround. 

I have a Marantz 5013 with a 5.1.2 setup, upgrading soon to a 5.1.4, will be adding another pair of 500sa as rear heights. Haven’t changed any crossover settings in the amp, just designated the speaker as front height. I want to be able to get this right first and then play around. 

Would be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks 

@Haffster

hi .. I have 2 pairs RP-500SA is awesome..if you have used for surround turn off switch.. in back .. (Atmos or surround height)  and crossover for surround is 80HZ for me .. but if you want to use Dolby Atmos crossover minimum is 150HZ ( https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-500sa-dolby-atmos-elevation-surround-speaker#product-specs) details manufacturer.. I used 200HZ ..is more dynamic and involvement for me .. read the link ..when you watch john wick scene cemetery raining with umbrellas talking (john and marcus) you will understand all..

4 hours ago, Haffster said:

Hi guys - I’m still very confused by the crossover switch on 500sa. I have them setup as front heights and still not clear whether that specific application is designed for the switch to be on Atmos or Surround. 

I have a Marantz 5013 with a 5.1.2 setup, upgrading soon to a 5.1.4, will be adding another pair of 500sa as rear heights. Haven’t changed any crossover settings in the amp, just designated the speaker as front height. I want to be able to get this right first and then play around. 

Would be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks 

If you are using the 500sa as upfiring speakers then the switch must be in the Atmos position.

1 hour ago, JefDC said:

If you are using the 500sa as upfiring speakers then the switch must be in the Atmos position.

Thanks. I’m not using them as up firing (in which case I would’ve turned it Atmos). I’m using them as front heights, installed on the front wall, flush with the ceiling, pointing downwards to the listening position. In that situation, should the switch be on Atmos or Surround?

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 3:07 PM, Macho9556 said:

Why surround and not Atmos? If I have them mounted on the ceiling I would assume Atmos

Because the Atmos switch utilizes a crossover that is only intended for upfiring mode to reflect off the ceiling.  Just because the other setting says "surround" doesn't mean anything, that is the setting you would use if you have them in any other position except upfiring. 

Does anyone know if the angle of the RP-500SA is the same as the other Klipsch Atmos speakers?  20 degrees? 

Also, is the keyhole bigger on the RP-500SA compared to the R-41SA or the same?

Edited by goomba

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, goomba said:

Because the Atmos switch utilizes a crossover that is only intended for upfiring mode to reflect off the ceiling.  Just because the other setting says "surround" doesn't mean anything, that is the setting you would use if you have them in any other position except upfiring. 

Does anyone know if the angle of the RP-500SA is the same as the other Klipsch Atmos speakers?  20 degrees? 

Also, is the keyhole bigger on the RP-500SA compared to the R-41SA or the same?

This makes sense.  So elevated pointed downward still uses Atmos, it's just a different crossover than firing upward bouncing off the ceiling.

• 1 month later...

first time long time. Hi guys how's it going during this crazy time hopefully you guys are well. I have pioneer elite vsx 303 with klipsch rc 52 ii and rb 51 ii bookshelves and then 4 rear klipsch satellite with klipsch 8in sub. My question is I'm buying either kliosch rp 140 sa or 500 sa but was curious where my fronts are 10ft apart could I mount the 500 sa say above my tv or corner of tv instead of above my bookshelves.  my theory is that I'd get more separation instead of just a taller sound stage  by doing so any thoughts??? or just use as dolby enabled ??

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 4:05 AM, lampsy86 said:

Tks emoji4.png

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

tell me about your experience..RP 600 M in height(back and front) ..using height is like atmos? because klipsch has line dolby atmos Rp-140SA  Rp-500SA  that I have ..I am very happy ,,but I want to know about your story using this.. because crossover is different..too like surround and dolby atmos..