Original capacitors in type B crossover

Kreg

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I have recently purchased a pair of Cornwall 0nes. I really like them. I am looking for advise for finding great capacitors for the Type B crossover. The reason I'm looking into a cap upgrade is this, I noticed that the original capacitors in my  Cornwall's have been replaced with Sonicaps-Gen1. I'm interested to know if there are better caps for the Cornwall. I would really like to be able to try the original caps, as they were part of the speaker's original voicing.

If any of you have any advise please share. Kreg.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:21 AM, Kreg said:

I would really like to be able to try the original caps, as they were part of the speaker's original voicing.

No you don't. They are most certainly out of spec. Even when new would not have measured as good as those Sonicaps.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deang said:

He doesn’t want the old caps. He wants capacitors that are similar in type to the originals. 

Thank you to you all for your replying.

How do you think the Arizona Blue cactus caps will work compared to the Jupiter and Jensen. The are reasonably priced and come in 4 and 2uf.

Regards, Greg

I’m getting ready to start using them in my tweeter circuits. I didn’t mention the brand because I didn’t know they came in 4uF - and I didn’t want to complicate the response by suggesting using different types for different parts of the network. 

Where are you getting the 4uF? Thanks. 

I also have a pair of networks for a different loudspeaker that I’m going to use them in. Higher values would be beneficial. 

I second the Jupiter caps.  I have them in my type b crossovers.  I realize that they are a more expensive option but they have a very natural tonal quality.  I have not heard the sonicaps but the Jupiter’s were far superior to my original oil caps.

8 hours ago, Deang said:

I’m getting ready to start using them in my tweeter circuits. I didn’t mention the brand because I didn’t know they came in 4uF - and I didn’t want to complicate the response by suggesting using different types for different parts of the network. 

Where are you getting the 4uF? Thanks. 

I also have a pair of networks for a different loudspeaker that I’m going to use them in. Higher values would be beneficial. 

Hi Deang, you are not mistaken, there is no 4uf cap is made by Arizona. I would have to use two 2uf to make a 4uf. Do you think the Arizona caps would work well in both positions of the Type B cross over? or should I use something different?

I noticed that Jupiter doesn't make a 2uf or a 4uf cap. It seems not many capacitor company make those values.

Thanks, Greg

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Yes. It can be problematic.

You should do 3.9uF Jupiter VT at the primary, and Arizona Blue 2uF for the tweeter section. 

Thanks Deang, I really appreciate your help. Now I have have a few more questions before I place my order.

- What combo do you think would be the best (A combo) 3.9uF Jupiter VT at the primary, Arizona Blue 2uF for the tweeter section would be better than (B combo) 3.9uF Jupiter VT at the primary, and 2uF Jupiter VT at the tweeter section. Would you explain why one combo is better than the other please.

- Where would you suggest as the best place to purchase the caps? I usually order parts from Parts connection as I live in Canada, but for some reason they don't carry a 3.9uf Jupiter VT. I looked at Sonic Craft and they have all the Jupiter VT caps as well as all the Arizona Blue caps.

- Do you think going from the Sonicaps to the Jupiter/Arizona is a good up grade?

Thanks, Greg

20 hours ago, Schu said:

"Best" is a very subjective idea... you wont know until you try it. 

Yes I understand what you are saying. I would like to now what the experienced klipsch forum members think are the best caps for the Cornwall's. I hope this will help me get things right and save me money by avoiding a lot of trial and error. Saving money and great sound is important to me.

Thanks, Greg

5 minutes ago, Budman said:

are you anywhere near me in cincy, ohio i would let you try out a set of Deang's ALK's i have for the Cornwall

have them listed in the garage sale section

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I won't be able to take you up on it, as I live in Victoria BC Canada. I will go to the garage sale section an take a look though.

Regards, Greg

18 hours ago, Kreg said:

Yes I understand what you are saying. I would like to now what the experienced klipsch forum members think are the best caps for the Cornwall's. I hope this will help me get things right and save me money by avoiding a lot of trial and error. Saving money and great sound is important to me.

Thanks, Greg

As one would expect, there are just different opinions about this. It's an age old debate and I think most of us are just tired of it.

The Sonicap is a good part, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Most seem to be more than satisfied with the results, but ...