Original capacitors in type B crossover

Kreg

On 1/21/2019 at 2:21 AM, Kreg said:

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I have recently purchased a pair of Cornwall 0nes. I really like them. I am looking for advise for finding great capacitors for the Type B crossover. The reason I'm looking into a cap upgrade is this, I noticed that the original capacitors in my  Cornwall's have been replaced with Sonicaps-Gen1. I'm interested to know if there are better caps for the Cornwall. I would really like to be able to try the original caps, as they were part of the speaker's original voicing.

If any of you have any advise please share. Kreg.

My advice would be that if they are already recapped with Sonicaps spend your money on better electronics.  Recapping once already done with good caps will change your tone and clarity slightly, it will be incremental..........but significantly better electronics is something I personally found can make a huge difference.  This costs, but stuff lasts.

2 hours ago, Deang said:

As one would expect, there are just different opinions about this. It's an age old debate and I think most of us are just tired of it.

The Sonicap is a good part, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Most seem to be more than satisfied with the results, but ...

Thanks Dean, I like the but part in your replie.  For me I want to hear my new babies with caps that are more like the originals. I'm sure the originals when health were great!

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

My advice would be that if they are already recapped with Sonicaps spend your money on better electronics.  Recapping once already done with good caps will change your tone and clarity slightly, it will be incremental..........but significantly better electronics is something I personally found can make a huge difference.  This costs, but stuff lasts.

Thanks for your reply Mark,

I agree about Better gear. I use a Quick Silver Pre/Power, Audio Note Pre/Power, Audionote CDP and a Lenco Table, and I am considering vintage SS with V-fets. I use all Audio Note cables. I am looking forward to trying better caps in the Cornwalls.

Greg

15 minutes ago, Kreg said:

I'm sure the originals when health were great!

Well, they really were not "great".  They were OK, and pretty much what was available at the time and within the budget constraints of Klipsch.   Since none of us will ever know (or remember) what crossovers/caps that are 40 years old sounded like, it's not really feasible to be chasing that, IMHO.    Take Dean's advice and go with the Jupiters or Jensens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, they really were not "great".  They were OK, and pretty much what was available at the time and within the budget constraints of Klipsch.  

You don't remember hearing Klipsch speakers in the late 70's?  That's what started me on my Klipsch journey.  They sounded pretty darn good from what I remember.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

You don't remember hearing Klipsch speakers in the late 70's?  That's what started me on my Klipsch journey.  They sounded pretty darn good from what I remember.

I do. Carlin Audio in Dayton Ohio with Crown stuff. Gawd auwful. So I bought a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s. 

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

10 hours ago, Deang said:

I do. Carlin Audio in Dayton Ohio with Crown stuff. Gawd auwful. So I bought a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s. 

Same time (late '70s), same notion, but I was more a fan of the JBL pro stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glens said:

Same time (late '70s), same notion, but I was more a fan of the JBL pro stuff.

I lived in central Illinois, a would visit the only music studio close to me (played guitar and dobro), worked at local tv station. All I could afford were the 4311s at a little over $300 each. I paid about $260 each I think. Today that would make them list at &1700 each.

That makes the current Klipsch lineup look really good.

Bruce

Thanks!!!! to every one for taking the time to reply to this topic, you are all awesome. So far I am leaning towards a 3.9uf Jupiter VT and a 2uf Blue Cactus. Parts Connection said that they will bring in a 3.9 Jupiter VT for me.

I hope you all have a Grr8888888888 weekend,

Greg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I put them in a set of Zu. Granted these only have a Capacitor for Xover. Did a blind test with some audio gurus. 10 out of 10 picked the vcaps over the stock and the upgrades from Zu. Think the upgrade was clarity can’t remember. It was a night and day difference. I have them in am my Atma-sphere amps and ores amps. They did make a difference in them also. As I did incremental upgrades. Since I am only 20 minutes from Atma-Sphere…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And here comes a further good working alternative for your likes.

https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=1433&osCsid=6fmme2bsbd1q3j4k1oaeggq293

It's not a competition what it the best, but I don't know what Jupiter or other caps suggested here cost, that's why KBG PIO will be the next ones I will try. They are NOS but in a glass container virtually forever protected against drying out or leaking.

Edit,

Oh in the meantime I have looked that we talk about caps which cost between 60 and 150 USD per piece or more. Not for me. I did it ones when buying Mundorf silver oil caps which are located here in Cologne Germany for a project 20 years ago, same price range or even much more expensive today than the caps mentioned in this thread.

Really not worth it but I was young naive and too silly. Only my 2 cents.

It is a free world of course and everyone should enjoy what he or she likes to purchase.

• Like 1