Controlling echos and sound reflections

SDoutdoorsman

Im curious what everyone is using in their home theater for sound proofing and controlling echos and reflections to make the movie experience a quality one. Is there a system that works that doesnt break the bank, I have seen a lot of acoustic panels but they are like $100 for a 12 inch square. My theater room is about 15 ft wide by 24 ft long and 8 ft high 1 of the 24ft walls is cement the rest are drywall and the floor is also cement. any recommendations on affordable sound control devices? 

You can make your own 2'x4' ones out of 1x4s and Roxul r60. It is very simple to do. Lowes has Roxul rockboard (special order...last time I purchased was $55 per bundle which had 6 or 8 pieces per bundle). I used some 2", and also some 3" (r80 I believe). You get the Roxul, and measure for a frame to enclose each sheet, build a frame around it, and then get some cheap material I used Muslim. Stretch it across the back of the frame, and staple it. Then place your Roxul in the frame (it should be firm but not compressed). Once you have this done...get some Acoustically transparent fabric (go to a local fabric store, and find a fabric you can breath through and looks like you want)...lay the fabric on the floor or table, and then pur the frame on top of it face down. Cut the material so you have enough to extend down the sides, and a inch or so onto the back piece. Grab the middle of the piece of material and staple it to the rear...then go to the opposite side of the frame and stretch the material, and staple it. Then go to the top or bottom of the frame, and do the same as you did for each side. You then work your way around the frame stretching  from the center out until you get to the corners. At the corners you can stretch and fold...then staple. Once you are done you can do as I did , and get a French cleat from a local hardware store, and attach it to the rear of the panel, and the other end to the wall. You can also make your own cleats by taking a piece of wood, and ripping it with a 45 degree angle cut then just cross cut the wood to the desired width of the cleat. 

You can do these easily on a weekend once you have all the materials at hand. 

Duct board!  2" is better.  Wrap in attractive fabric, trim with  frame if desired. Also, heavy, insulated drapes, closely bunched, even on your concrete wall.  In a home theater the speakers generate the ambiance, so the room needs to be relatively dead. 

https://dcpd6wotaa0mb.cloudfront.net/mdms/dms/EIS/57577/57577-QuietR-Duct-Board-Data-Sheet.pdf?v=1545470798000

The duct board is also a great idea! I have done some searching and found that roxul is not available near me but found owens corning thermafiber fire and sound guard which looks pretty much the same, ill have to look for duct board as well. I did come across a site with way more reasonable foam (48 Sq ft 3 inch thick for $180) has anyone ever tested if the foam is better then making the panels out of roxul or other homemade materials?