WTB: Newbie, Interested in Klipsch in Texas, Budget Ideas?

lkirkpatrick

Hello Klipsch experts...should I upgrade my speakers and what Klipsch would you recommend:

I am running:

- Dynaco ST 70 with Bob Latino mod board,

- VTA Pre-Amp SP 14 Tube amp by Roy,

- Rega RP1 with Ortofon Red2M

- Schiit Modi DAC

- Advent Heritage Speakers 

My cousin has a set of Heresy's III that sounds pretty amazing with a tube amp (I don't have that kind of budget).    I do need to get another pair of speakers for a similar set up to one above for my brother-in-law.   My hope was to find a deal on old Klipsch and rework them with Bob Crites upgrades or wait until I can afford a Cornscala new or used - and give him my Advent Heritage speakers.   I do not see myself ever spending more than $1,200 to be honest.  Was bummed to miss the Forte 2, updated with Bob Crites tweeters.

I have found a single Forte III that has damage to the cabinet (repaired) for sale at $500, but only one speaker - seems like might be tough to match or find another damaged one?  Do cracked damaged cabinets impact the sound dramatically?  

Given I am a budget buyer, does it even make sense to head down this road with a max budget of $800 to $1,200 max?   Heresy or KG-4 seem to be somewhat reasonable and with performance upgrades might be a way to get the Klipsch sound without dropping more than $1,000. 

I will try and learn more.   I do not really care about cosmetics, really just the sound.   My system sounds pretty amazing to my ears, but it got me thinking I spent $1,400+ plus on my system but only $150 on my Advent Heritage speakers? Am I missing out on the sound envelope? I do have a small house so not sure why I feel I need larger speakers, but I do love to listen to records.

Looking forward to learning more and getting more familiar with the terminology, et al. 

Forte 1, 2, 3, Heresy 1, 2, 3

other recommendations on vintage speakers or speakers that would run well with Dynaco ST 70. 

Cheers, 

Loren

Austin, Texas     

• Like 2

I second the La Scala suggestion.  If you have patience, you’ll likely find a pair in acceptable shape within a reasonable distance from you.  It’s less expensive in the long run than buying smaller Klipsch speakers and then eventually upgrading to the La Scalas that you wanted in the first place, plus you get to enjoy their great sound that much sooner.  

Start saving now, so you’ll have the cash to jump on a bargain as soon as it appears.  Later, when your budget is ready, add a sub, and you’re all set!  Mods can come later, if you ever feel the need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Islander said:

I second the La Scala suggestion.  If you have patience, you’ll likely find a pair in acceptable shape within a reasonable distance from you.  It’s less expensive in the long run than buying smaller Klipsch speakers and then eventually upgrading to the La Scalas that you wanted in the first place, plus you get to enjoy their great sound that much sooner.  

Start saving now, so you’ll have the cash to jump on a bargain as soon as it appears.  Later, when your budget is ready, add a sub, and you’re all set!  Mods can come later, if you ever feel the need.

Male no mistake, Cornwalls are no joke.   If you find a pair in good shape, don't hesitate.   If LA scala come up sooner, so be it.   Don't settle for ONLY LA scalas.   Chorus and Cornwalls are EXCELLENT speakers, don't care heat others say.  It isn't my opinion, it's a fact.   

• Like 1

There will be many options with your budget in the used market, so just be patient.  The fortes especially the forte IIs are probably the best bang for the buck and are very well balanced speakers.  I have forte IIs and Chorus IIs, and would never part with the forte IIs unless there was a catastrophe.  I like them better than cornwalls, I also like the Chorus IIs better than cornwalls.  No subs needed, unless using for ht for the rumble effects in movies.  All of the options mentioned are worthy, don't waste your time on Heresies.

• Like 3

Just now, jimjimbo said:

I'm pretty sure that I said you could potentially ALSO find La Scala in that budget.  Settle for La Scala's?  Ah, I don't exactly think that would be settling for anything.  

I didn't say that.   LA scalas woudk be settling OBVIOUSLY.   ONE will LIKELY find Cornwalls or chrous's for the right price faster than LA sclass.  If you find LA scalas first, PLEASE snatcy them up FIRST.   Does this please the veterans?  Jim, I know where you live, where I live?  There are ZERO lw scalas for sale. Almost always. I know NOTHING of the market where OP is... 

What do you think about damaged cabinets on Forte III?   I found two unmatched with cabinet damage for $500.  Total would be $1,000 for both.  Would be hard to resell them but that is not my plan.   https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/houston-klipsch-forte-iii-single/6791166308.html  & https://www.adorama.com/us 1029325.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wVqMUR0R-PBW0SKj-SF-0MF6MYghxRu7HDNb_jO5ApZzmCCz5ygJF0aAr7aEALw_wcB 

I am in no hurry, and will likely wait until I drive to MN in summer to increase my area of searching.  Otherwise, I will keep scouring for Chorus II or Cornscala D. 

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Even better, come to the Pilgrimage at the end of April in Hope AR, meet lots of good people, listen to speakers at the factory and form your own opinions.

Ask here for forum members close to you that have vintage speakers you can listen to. Listening to speakers first is a great idea. I would not touch cabinet damaged Forte III's under any circumstance. There are two pairs of Forte I's for sale right now on Craigslist near you for $800 and $700. Probably get them for less and they would make great speakers for a first buy. They are close enough to go listen to also.

• Like 1

You should be able to find a used pair of Forte's for well under $1k. I see them locally for $500-$600. Quartets are a smidgen smaller than Forte's but usually at a lower price.

Kg4's are a good option, and pair sold locally recently for $450.. Heresy's don't play as low but they have tons of "muscle" and grunt. They're about as plentiful as Forte's on the used market. They're selling locally for $400-$600. Forget the version I, II, III stuff; any of the model speakers mentioned are close enough to each other to scratch your itch and bring a smile to your face.

12 hours ago, lkirkpatrick said:

What do you think about damaged cabinets on Forte III?   I found two unmatched with cabinet damage for $500.  Total would be $1,000 for both.  Would be hard to resell them but that is not my plan.   https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/houston-klipsch-forte-iii-single/6791166308.html  & https://www.adorama.com/us 1029325.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-JXiBRCpARIsAGqF8wVqMUR0R-PBW0SKj-SF-0MF6MYghxRu7HDNb_jO5ApZzmCCz5ygJF0aAr7aEALw_wcB 

I am in no hurry, and will likely wait until I drive to MN in summer to increase my area of searching.  Otherwise, I will keep scouring for Chorus II or Cornscala D. 

Have you looked on Craigslist? Several Forte Is and I am debating on parting with my KLF-30s though might be a little current hungry for your amp.

12 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Male no mistake, Cornwalls are no joke.   If you find a pair in good shape, don't hesitate.   If LA scala come up sooner, so be it.   Don't settle for ONLY LA scalas.   Chorus and Cornwalls are EXCELLENT speakers, don't care heat others say.  It isn't my opinion, it's a fact.   

I was looking for Cornwalls, when the LS came along..

13 hours ago, lkirkpatrick said:

Hello Klipsch experts...should I upgrade my speakers and what Klipsch would you recommend:

I am running:

- Dynaco ST 70 with Bob Latino mod board,

- VTA Pre-Amp SP 14 Tube amp by Roy,

- Rega RP1 with Ortofon Red2M

- Schiit Modi DAC

- Advent Heritage Speakers 

My cousin has a set of Heresy's III that sounds pretty amazing with a tube amp (I don't have that kind of budget).    I do need to get another pair of speakers for a similar set up to one above for my brother-in-law.   My hope was to find a deal on old Klipsch and rework them with Bob Crites upgrades or wait until I can afford a Cornscala new or used - and give him my Advent Heritage speakers.   I do not see myself ever spending more than $1,200 to be honest.  Was bummed to miss the Forte 2, updated with Bob Crites tweeters.

I have found a single Forte III that has damage to the cabinet (repaired) for sale at $500, but only one speaker - seems like might be tough to match or find another damaged one?  Do cracked damaged cabinets impact the sound dramatically?  

Given I am a budget buyer, does it even make sense to head down this road with a max budget of $800 to $1,200 max?   Heresy or KG-4 seem to be somewhat reasonable and with performance upgrades might be a way to get the Klipsch sound without dropping more than $1,000. 

I will try and learn more.   I do not really care about cosmetics, really just the sound.   My system sounds pretty amazing to my ears, but it got me thinking I spent $1,400+ plus on my system but only $150 on my Advent Heritage speakers? Am I missing out on the sound envelope? I do have a small house so not sure why I feel I need larger speakers, but I do love to listen to records.

Looking forward to learning more and getting more familiar with the terminology, et al. 

Forte 1, 2, 3, Heresy 1, 2, 3

other recommendations on vintage speakers or speakers that would run well with Dynaco ST 70. 

Cheers, 

Loren

Austin, Texas     

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/d/cleburne-klipsch-cornwall-1s/6799532063.html

• Thanks 1