Please advise whether i should buy these?

docrugby

Hi there,I have the opportunity to buy these Klipsch speakers.
Can someone please advise me whether these are still good considering their age.
They are said to be in very good condition.
Klipsch RF62 Floor standing,

RC62 Centre,

RB51 Rear,

plus Velodyne 10 inch sub CHT10R
I can get all of these for $950 NZD

Klipsch speakers.jpg

Hmmm now I have been offered these Bowers and Wilkins Bowers and Wilkins complete speaker system/Marantz Amplifier

2 x 685 bookshelf speakers
2 x DM600 S3 rear speakers
ASW610XP sub woofer
LCR60 S3 centre speaker
Marantz SR4200/N1B amplifier

Good used condition, approx 7-8 years old but for $1600 NZD = $1,085 USD.Which speakers would you go for?The Klipsch set up or the B&W?

B&W.jpg

Edited by docrugby
Forgot to add information about specs.

I have owned many of the speakers you are considering and I can tell you that both are great deals and you will be happy either way.

The Klipsch is probably the better deal, since they are nearly 1/2 the price of the B&W set but they do have different sound. If you are into movies and video games, I would lean towards the Klipsch. If music is your main focus, for this system, I would lean towards the B&W’s. That isn’t to say that the Klipsch isn’t good for music or that the B&W’s won’t meet expectations for movies either, just that I prefer the dynamics the Reference line offers. 

What receiver are you planning on using? I ask because the Klipsch setup is quite a bit more efficient so if you are planning on using a entry level receiver to start, the Klipsh setup would provide better results in your average sized living room. 

The B&W subwoofer is definitely the better out of those two subs but the RF-62’s will dig deeper than the 685’s. This is likely a wash, when it comes to the low end. 

I wouldn’t think about it too long, as I am sure others are already communicating with the sellers. Around my area, these would already be gone as both are great deals by highly regarded speaker manufacturers...

Hey thanks.I have not decided on a receiver yet but I have a LG 65 OLED C8 TV and watch a lot of bands I like on the Youtube app and the TV has Dolby Atmos so would need to get a receiver that is 7.1 and add a couple of Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to complete the set up.Any suggestions on receivers?

This conversation usually ends up like the “who makes the best car?” question. There are hundreds of members here with thousands of differing opinions on what brand makes the best receiver.

My advise is to get one of the models towards the top of the lineup, but last year’s model where you can likely save around 50% off. The new receivers are like computers and manufacturers try to add new technology, to get consumers to keep upgrading. The truth is that most higher end models will have all the features you will ever need, even if it is a year or two old. Examples of these newer technologies are Atmos, DTS-X and this year’s releases IMAX and with 8k around the corner, you will go broke or insane trying to keep up.

Now to my opinion on brands.. I prefer Denon receivers as they seem to check all the boxes and fall in the middle of the price ranges. Marantz owns Dennon and are similar but a little higher quality. My other favorite brand is Pioneer Elite. Yamaha Aventage also has a very loyal following. 

Just prepare yourself for the “if you don’t have a dedicated amplifier, you are missing out on 70% of the experience” people. This is an entirely different conversation though.  

The B&W's are nice and that seems to be a good price.

The Klipsch set is a better deal, in my opinion, with better dynamics and easier to drive.

5 hours ago, K5SS said:

The B&W subwoofer is definitely the better out of those two subs

I agree with this.

Bill

I can get the Pioneer VSX-932 7.2 CH Receiver for $472 USD and after reading the reviews it looks like it will  work well with the Klipsch speakers I have bought.

I will also add two Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to complete my set up.
Do you have any advice on the Pioneer receiver?

14 hours ago, K5SS said:

This conversation usually ends up like the “who makes the best car?” question. There are hundreds of members here with thousands of differing opinions on what brand makes the best receiver.

My advise is to get one of the models towards the top of the lineup, but last year’s model where you can likely save around 50% off. The new receivers are like computers and manufacturers try to add new technology, to get consumers to keep upgrading. The truth is that most higher end models will have all the features you will ever need, even if it is a year or two old. Examples of these newer technologies are Atmos, DTS-X and this year’s releases IMAX and with 8k around the corner, you will go broke or insane trying to keep up.

Now to my opinion on brands.. I prefer Denon receivers as they seem to check all the boxes and fall in the middle of the price ranges. Marantz owns Dennon and are similar but a little higher quality. My other favorite brand is Pioneer Elite. Yamaha Aventage also has a very loyal following. 

Just prepare yourself for the “if you don’t have a dedicated amplifier, you are missing out on 70% of the experience” people. This is an entirely different conversation though.