LATEST HERESY REDO WITH QUARTER CUT FIGURED ETIMOE VENEER

longdrive03

Got another set of Hs in the oven.  These are a set of 1982 consecutive serial number birch ply H models.  K-22-E woofers, (which I'm replacing) K-52H mid drivers and square magnet K77 tweeters with Type E crossover which will be recapped with Sonicaps.

I cut off the front trim flush with motorboard to veneer the motorboard after inserting neo magnets to hold the original grills.  Installed new front edge trim with veneer on the inside of the trim, then veneered the sides and top then veneered the front trim on the front.  I installed front to back brace to reduce resonance which is screwed and glued to the motorboard and one the sides with 2 screws through the back into the edge of the brace.  Six coats of poly and about to final sand/wax.  Grills have neo magnets attached.  Will have these for sale upon completion over in garage sale section.

This veneer is really beautiful.  Lots of figure.

Will probably use Crites 1228 woofers.  I dropped my blower and it  bounced against one woofer cone and tore it.  😩  YIKES!! I will repair but will go with two new woofers on these puppies. 

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

• Like 9

Than for the compliments Shakeydeal.  

Oldtimer i use Heatlock iron on veneer glue from joewoodworker.com    Works great.  I  buy it by the gallon.  If you buy in the winter be sure to add the  extra charge to prevent freezing of the glue during shipping.  Joe  is a great guy.  If you don't have a glue roller Joe sells a good one cheap and you can buy extra foam rollers (not the cheapy kind).

joewoodworker.com;

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rockhound,

Kinda hit a slow spell due to cold wet weather and burnout.  I got these final sanded and waxed with steel wool and they're slicker than a boil onion.  Just need to get the new Crites woofers and install components.  A local friend might want to trade for two pair of beat up Heresys.  

Need to clean up the shop ( I think I have a tablesaw in there somewhere) and get crackin.  A friend wants me to build some small towers for him so that might be my motivation

IMG_6841.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are so beautiful! So that is some sort of veneer that you glue to the outside of the existing boxes? Where does one buy veneer? I never tried something like that but I might want to some day. Simply amazing.

Absolutely gorgeous veneer, but I've never been much on appearances as I am performance! My Raw Birch La Scalas and my new-to-me Heresys look like crap but SOUND incredible!

I'm having so much FUN with them, playing my Djembe to great musics! :-) And I don't suck too badly at it

John Kuthe...