New Mcintosh Turntable, with Power Amp and Tubed Too.

Shiva

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

$10,000.....................no thanks.

No one can criticize that view, but not everyone will share it, either, IF they can willingly afford it AND if it sounds like it's worth it..  After all, one gets a tube preamp and classy TT and cartridge for that package price.  I am certain you're aware of LP setups that, in combination, are priced considerably north of that amount.

Components would have to be exceptionally well chosen to sound better and more musical than the best of something like this.  (Note that I don't think they don't automatically sound better!). For just one thing, I don't think a moving-magnet cart is going to equal the equality  of really fine setups.

The company saved a bundle by not having MC electronics and a costly MC cartridge.  And it doesn't cost $30-$60k +, either.  It might be a market test to see how popular the idea is.

It's just another entry in the audio market sweepstakes, for people to choose from.  

On 1/24/2019 at 11:53 PM, LarryC said:

No one can criticize that view, but not everyone will share it, either, IF they can willingly afford it AND if it sounds like it's worth it..  After all, one gets a tube preamp and classy TT and cartridge for that package price.  I am certain you're aware of LP setups that, in combination, are priced considerably north of that amount.

Components would have to be exceptionally well chosen to sound better and more musical than the best of something like this.  (Note that I don't think they don't automatically sound better!). For just one thing, I don't think a moving-magnet cart is going to equal the equality  of really fine setups.

The company saved a bundle by not having MC electronics and a costly MC cartridge.  And it doesn't cost $30-$60k +, either.  It might be a market test to see how popular the idea is.

It's just another entry in the audio market sweepstakes, for people to choose from.  

I have to say that I have to second Larry's trenchant remarks on this piece of equipment. I'd also like to add that this is probably marketed towards the market segment of well-heeled folks dipping their toes into vinyl that don't want to deal with all the muss and fuss. Just think if you are of a more current generation that barely remember cd's  and simply stream their music. Class D can sound very good. The turntable components look like they are from VPI and step up and LOMC carts are a very small portion of the cartridge market. 

It would be interesting to listen to this setup with some decent speakers.

On another website they're saying it's $6500 US.  I wouldn't buy it, but I can definitely image a customer who would:  Someone who has very very limited space and has caught the vinyl bug.  ..Oh, and makes a lot of $$.   Paired w/ a pair of Heresy III's I'm sure it would sound quite nice.  50w/ch would drive the H3's to crazy loud levels.  

Not every would be audiophile can accommodate the component-clutter and associated tangle of cables that goes along w/ separate Amp/ Pre/ and streaming receiver.  ..And since a TT can only be reduced so much in size, what not build those ever-shrinkable components into a sold, well-engineered TT??  In a small Manhattan, Chicago, or San Francisco loft, a wealthy millennial might find this to be a perfect solution.

To criticize this on the grounds that you could do so so much better w/ $6500 by going w/ separate components is to state the obvious but also totally misses the point.

I give McIntosh credit for coming up with a new category of product.