DFW -- KLF-20s in Zebrawood

J M O N

So I should add that while I have no affiliation with the sellers, I have met them.  They bought a set of speakers from me a few months back.  As has been mentioned before, they are a nice father and son team that has turned their experience as long-time cabinet-builders into a hobby of refurbishing Klipsch speakers.  They do work on other brands such as JBL and Altec, but Klipsch is their favorite.  Now, they don't just refurbish the cosmetics, they also replace drivers and crossovers when needed and use Bob Crites for those components.

As far as pricing goes, from what I remember, they seem comparable to the prices charged by a forum member here that used to do similar work.  He seemed to have made enough money to start his own speaker company.  However, they do not modify the speakers, they refurbish them to what they were like when new.

Here is the kicker -- I was told they had 50 Klipschorns in their current inventory (among other speakers).  They have Klipsch speakers scattered throughout the house.  So, I would think, if you wanted a certain speaker in a veneer and finish of your choosing, I'm sure they could accommodate your request.  Maybe I'll start a new post to highlight this "alert."

By the way, they are not forum members.  When I met them I mentioned the forum to them and they told me they had not joined as they had heard from others that the members here were only interested in buying "Ferraris at Pinto prices."  😉  I told them there were thousands and thousands of forum members from across the world and despite what they were told there is a market for their work.

2 hours ago, JMON said:

Here is the kicker -- I was told they had 50 Klipschorns in their current inventory (among other speakers). 

Wow..... 

2 hours ago, JMON said:

they had heard from others that the members here were only interested in buying "Ferraris at Pinto prices."

Is there some truth there? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:
3 hours ago, JMON said:

they had heard from others that the members here were only interested in buying "Ferraris at Pinto prices."

Is there some truth there? 🤔

That's me: Champagne taste on a beer budget.

3 hours ago, JMON said:

As far as pricing goes,

I posted in your other thread before seeing this. I don't believe that they are not out of touch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So apparently they are buying them at "not so great" prices, or just regular prices, and then redoing the veneer work with whatever they think is going to sell.  There are not many exotic veneers I'm really that fond of that I would want tb be wrapped around a pair of speakers that I would have to stare at while listening.  I think the zebrawood veneer looks really good on Jubes as it's in one area and the primary black look makes the veneer "pop", so to speak.  But we are all different in our likes.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, JMON said:

they told me they had not joined as they had heard from others that the members here were only interested in buying "Ferraris at Pinto prices."  

That's not totally true. Sometimes the reverse is true also.

Keith

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, JMON said:

By the way, they are not forum members.  When I met them I mentioned the forum to them and they told me they had not joined as they had heard from others that the members here were only interested in buying "Ferraris at Pinto prices."  😉 

Too bad. Aubrey, TX is across the street from us and it would be interesting to see his speakers and workshop. I also agree that the exotic finishes look more 'retro' than I would like but older dudes may have that kind of taste and money....Again, nice work and wish I were that much of a craftsman. 

On 1/28/2019 at 3:38 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Too bad. Aubrey, TX is across the street from us and it would be interesting to see his speakers and workshop. I also agree that the exotic finishes look more 'retro' than I would like but older dudes may have that kind of taste and money....Again, nice work and wish I were that much of a craftsman.  

If you're close by I don't see why you can't stop by and see their shop an inventory.  I'd bet they wouldn't mind.  I actually just had a thought about letting them know about the Lone Star Audio Fest. Maybe they'll sign up and display their goods.  There would be plenty of more expensive speakers there.

• Like 1