Help me with an amp or receiver for the KG4s

rjmartin

Klipsch people,

I have a set of KG4s that I purchased. I want to get an amp for them. Just sold my TX-8050. Right now I'm using a Klipsch Powergate. Feel free to comment. Take me to the cleaners. I'm doing the best I can. On a budget, if you know what I mean. 

I was thinking about the Onkyo a-9110. A guy on a website that it wouldn't be able to drive the KG4s well. Is this true?

So I went back to looking at Yamahas. I want to try to keep it under $330. Right now, I've got a guy who will sell me a slightly used a-s501 for $330. Got to drive an hour to get it. An option, but there are important members of my family who think that is a waste of my time. 

Then there's some a-s500s laying around on internet sites for even less. I'm not sure I need the DACs in the a-s501. 

Then there's the receiver r-n50x and r-s50x. And then, finally, there's always an a-s301. 

Any recommendations here? I feel a bit bewildered. I know some of you are going to tell me to test them, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and not a lot of time. I want things to sound good. I don't need to overpower my middle-sized living room. 

Help me. Please.

Edited by rjmartin
Add tags :)
  • Like 1

I think the A-S500/501 will do a great job driving the KG4s. 

Not sure about the Onkyo A-9110 or the Yamaha A-S301. 

Probably okay for a small room or computer stereo rig.

For a short while, I drove my KG4s with an 80's NAD preamp/amp combo that was only 25w/channel and it did a superb job as long as I kept the volume at reasonable levels in my large family room/kitchen.

Bill

• Like 2

Martin,

Welcome to the forum :D 

Suggest you look at vintage receivers/amps also. Had a set of KG4's and used a Marantz 1060 with them ... very clean sound with enough power (30W/ch).  Sold that amp, but liked it so much, I just bought another one for $300 off CraigsList :D  Another good Marantz is model 2238B, at the higher range of your $$ budget. If you want to save more, look at a Yamaha CR-620 or CR-820.  About $100-200 and (? think) 35-40W/ch.

The KG4's are fairly efficient (94dB's), but you will need at least 25 (real) W/ch. Not familiar with the Yamaha a-s500/501, but I am sure they will do a fine job. They spec at 85W/ch which probably is comparable to the 35-40W/ch for the older Yammies I mentioned. (And ... a dedicated amp will sound much better than the Onkyo AVR you sold.)

Have fun ... good luck.

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... check your KG4 tweeters ... the titanium diaphragm is a "must have" update for those

• Like 3

+1 to what Emile said, but the Yamaha would be a solid choice also. I have KG2's purchased new in 1985. For years, ran them with an HK 25 wpc receiver. Recently, I thought they sounded a bit dull, so replaced the tweeters (left the crossovers original) with the crites Titanium diaphragms. Made a huge difference in the crispness and clarity, IMO. Well worth the $62. Would recommend the mod. Easy to do. Good luck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Martin,

Welcome to the forum :D 

Suggest you look at vintage receivers/amps also. Had a set of KG4's and used a Marantz 1060 with them ... very clean sound with enough power (30W/ch).  Sold that amp, but liked it so much, I just bought another one for $300 off CraigsList :D  Another good Marantz is model 2238B, at the higher range of your $$ budget. If you want to save more, look at a Yamaha CR-620 or CR-820.  About $100-200 and (? think) 35-40W/ch.

The KG4's are fairly efficient (94dB's), but you will need at least 25 (real) W/ch. Not familiar with the Yamaha a-s500/501, but I am sure they will do a fine job. They spec at 85W/ch which probably is comparable to the 35-40W/ch for the older Yammies I mentioned. (And ... a dedicated amp will sound much better than the Onkyo AVR you sold.)

Have fun ... good luck.

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... check your KG4 tweeters ... the titanium diaphragm is a "must have" update for those

Thanks for taking the time to input, Emile. I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the sound quality compares between something like network receiver like the R-N602 and the integrated amp like a A-s501?

RJM

Not to the specific models, but I can speak to the lines they are related to. The A is going to sound better. The R will sound really good. Go with the one that appeals to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rjmartin said:

Does anyone know how the sound quality compares between something like network receiver like the R-N602 and the integrated amp like a A-s501?

RJM

You know, most like only a slight difference in sound between the two.  I say if you want the extra feature set the R-N602 possesses then go for it.  I'll bet the average ear will not hear an audible difference between the two.  But, the slight weight advantage with the A-S501(22.7lbs) vs R-N602(21.6lbs) most likely is in power supply.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks, Bill

That's a great price for that amp! I did end up getting the a-S501 for $330, and I love it. The clarity of the instruments or vocals producing the music is really great. I've never heard something like this. 

Thanks for the link. I had already completed the purchase with the guy from CL by the time you posted that. 

• Like 1

I had a pair of KG4's that I stupidly sold (before I knew how great a vintage Klipsch speaker is) that I powered with a Rotel RA-985BX Integrated Amp.  They sounded incredible.  Now, 2 years later I found a pair of KG5.5's that I power with that same amp and those also sound amazing.  I love the KG line from Klipsch, and prefer them when listening to 2 channel audio compared to my RP-280FAs.

Glad you found a good fit.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump this older topic, but wanted to ask a few things if theyve changed in 3 years:

I have a pair of Klipsch KG-4s connected to a Luxman R-115 and I love the sound. But it seems the left channel (a relay issue?) is failing in the Luxman, which means I need it fixed again. I already just got it fixed in Spring of 2021. I might just get it fixed again, but I dont want to keep throwing good money after bad on this system, I am considering just buying new. But I have other speakers as part of a surround sound setup with this R-115. Can anyone recommend a good receiver or amps for the following speakers in a 5.1 setup?

Klipsch KG-4 

Klipsch Academy

Klipsch 0.5 Rear bookshelf speakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloo said:

Sorry to bump this older topic, but wanted to ask a few things if theyve changed in 3 years:

I have a pair of Klipsch KG-4s connected to a Luxman R-115 and I love the sound. But it seems the left channel (a relay issue?) is failing in the Luxman, which means I need it fixed again. I already just got it fixed in Spring of 2021. I might just get it fixed again, but I dont want to keep throwing good money after bad on this system, I am considering just buying new. But I have other speakers as part of a surround sound setup with this R-115. Can anyone recommend a good receiver or amps for the following speakers in a 5.1 setup?

Klipsch KG-4 

Klipsch Academy

Klipsch 0.5 Rear bookshelf speakers.

Yes, diminishing returns unless the repair shop will stand behind their work.

Likely not a fix but could try hooking to B speaker terminals.

Since going with Home Theater now, almost any new or used Yamaha AVR with remote control would work.

How much your looking to spend comes into play here.

@Baloo

• Like 1