Marantz SR7009 enough for RF7?

Alx

Hi all,

First time poster/long time lurker!

I'm currently running a old-ish Klipsch HT setup (2*RF25 + 1 RC35 + 2*RS25) in  a small dedicated room (4m*3m, that's approximately 13ft*10ft for you my friends across the pond), with a Marantz SR7009 AV receiver.

I'm pretty happy with my setup as is. But you know what it's like: i'm having a bad bout of upgraditis and really considering changing my fronts (and probably the center too, but later on), mainly to improve the music side of things (not so much the HT aspect).

I'm eyeing the RF7-II, but I'm really wondering if my Marantz SR7009 can cope with them, and make them truly shine. I've listened to the RF7-III in an auditorium and they only baffled me when plugged to a $5k amplifier (a naim uniti nova), they were only OK (a bit timid/sluggish even, IMHO) when powered by lesser receveirs (I couldn't bring my own).

Hence my questionning: shelling over two grands to eventually have a less homogeneous and dynamic system than before doesn't seem like a good idea... Please note that I unfortunately can't add a power amplifier to fuel the fronts as there is simply no room left in my TV rack for that (and if my lovely wife is OK to have the huge RF7 in the TV room, she just looooves the current TV stand and wouldn't want it replaced).

Should I forget about the RF7 and maybe consider the RP-8000F (or the RP-280F) instead to get a more balanced end-result (I didn't have the opportunity to listen to them) ? Or, will the Marantz suffice to power the RF7 at a level, though not optimal, but that will still make them sound far far better than my RF25?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english (it's not my mother tongue, as I'm sure you'll all have noticed at this point).

53 minutes ago, Alx said:

Hi all,

First time poster/long time lurker!

I'm currently running a old-ish Klipsch HT setup (2*RF25 + 1 RC35 + 2*RS25) in  a small dedicated room (4m*3m, that's approximately 13ft*10ft for you my friends across the pond), with a Marantz SR7009 AV receiver.

I'm pretty happy with my setup as is. But you know what it's like: i'm having a bad bout of upgraditis and really considering changing my fronts (and probably the center too, but later on), mainly to improve the music side of things (not so much the HT aspect).

I'm eyeing the RF7-II, but I'm really wondering if my Marantz SR7009 can cope with them, and make them truly shine. I've listened to the RF7-III in an auditorium and they only baffled me when plugged to a $5k amplifier (a naim uniti nova), they were only OK (a bit timid/sluggish even, IMHO) when powered by lesser receveirs (I couldn't bring my own).

Hence my questionning: shelling over two grands to eventually have a less homogeneous and dynamic system than before doesn't seem like a good idea... Please note that I unfortunately can't add a power amplifier to fuel the fronts as there is simply no room left in my TV rack for that (and if my lovely wife is OK to have the huge RF7 in the TV room, she just looooves the current TV stand and wouldn't want it replaced).

Should I forget about the RF7 and maybe consider the RP-8000F (or the RP-280F) instead to get a more balanced end-result (I didn't have the opportunity to listen to them) ? Or, will the Marantz suffice to power the RF7 at a level, though not optimal, but that will still make them sound far far better than my RF25?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my bad english (it's not my mother tongue, as I'm sure you'll all have noticed at this point).

Welcome to the forum.

All things being equal, the 7 will always sound better than the 25.  The problem is that when you calibrate your system you'll bring the level of the 7's down to match your center and won't be getting the most out of them.  It should sound better than what you have now though.  You might get the 7's now and start saving up for an RC-64.  Then you'd have something special, especially compared to what you have now.

You will be good to go with the RF 7s. That Marantz puts out 125 watts per channel and the 7s are quite efficient. That is also not an overly large room to fill with sound. I use a Marantz and find the Audyssey is very good at matching things up. Your centre also sports 6" drivers so it should be fine for now unless you are looking for nosebleed volumes. I think you will also be very pleased when listening to them in two channel mode.

If you have (or obtain), a sub and cross over at 60 you will free up a fair bit of power for movies/TV. You most likely won't need to engage it for two channel audio.

One thing worth consideration if you have the room -- in order to improve the "music side of things", would be to consider something like Forte III up front. Something to think about. I'd venture to say that there likely isn't much that "can't cope" with your Marantz, especially in a room your size and with the efficiency of these speakers.

I can relate to the "pretty happy" but "upgrade-itis". Good luck. FWIW - I'm running F3 fronts with an RC64iii center, larger room and lower (than yours) powered Marantz (SR6012).

Thanks for your input! It's all very reassuring. I've read so many tests of people highlighting the difficulty of powering those RF7 that I have a lot of hesitation pulling the trigger (though my heart tells me to do it).

Anyway, I'll have a bit more time to think it over, as the e-shop I wanted to purchase them from is now telling me his RF7-II are all sold out (although they're still listed as "available" on their site)...  And I'm not paying an extra grand for RF7-III that I found a bit too "polite", so I'll have to keep digging for old stocks.

Thank you again.

I've come across a pair of pre-loved RF7 "classic" (I assume they're exactly the same as RF7 mk 1, just more recently made) that are fairly priced ($1k). Are they adviseable? The general consensus seems to be that the mk ii are the better speakers, so shall I wait till I can get my hands on a pair of mk ii instead? Are they more or less difficult to drive than the RF7-ii ?

Thanks !

2 minutes ago, Alx said:

I've come across a pair of pre-loved RF7 "classic" (I assume they're exactly the same as RF7 mk 1, just more recently made) that are fairly priced ($1k). Are they adviseable? The general consensus seems to be that the mk ii are the better speakers, so shall I wait till I can get my hands on a pair of mk ii instead? Are they more or less difficult to drive than the RF7-ii ?

Thanks !

For $1000.00, I say yes if in good shape.  Which wood veneer?

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

If they are the reintroduced "Classic" models from around 2009/2010 then $1000.00 is a very good price provided in good shape. 

Bill

I think they are. Their current owner assures me they are from december 2011 (and their very good state is consistent with that statement). I don't know if there's a way to check with the S/N (101125410410118) ?

If they are 7's  of any type, in good condition they're gonna be worth a Grand. The Marantz is fine, plenty power for any normal listening. If you want to get the best any 7's have to offer it's gonna require money and power. That just means they can grow to just about any system you can afford (less you're rich, then space etc.... should be no issue). I had 500 watts per channel on mine for a while and they just got better. I had a 75 watt Rotel that was great too. Do it......

• 2 weeks later...

To keep you posted:

The RF7-ii were sold out everywhere I looked. I didn't purchase the RF7-i I was considering: the guy suddenly decided he didn't want $1000 for them, but that they were worth $1200... The extra money wasn't an issue per se for me, but I was sort of mad that he wanted to bargain with me the "wrong" way... So I dropped it.

I eventually found what I think is a better deal : a pair of brand new (barely touched) cherry RF7-iii for $1900. I'll have to drive 4+ hours to get them, but I think it'll be worth it ! I'll post pics as soon as they're installed 🙂

Hi guys,

I finally have my RF7-iii (pics below) : I'm over the moon 🤩 They're just like new, not even broken in... They sound amazing, just brilliant, I'm rediscovering all my CDs: it's pure bliss !

The excellent news is the Marantz SR7009 is doing just fine. Real, quality, music is coming out of those speakers, with good bass and proper articulation. I can feel a tiny bit of auditory fatigue in the trebles (even though I'm used to the Klipsch sound signature): I don't know if it's my room, the amp or if I'll just get used to my system? But I'm glad I didn't take the RF7-II or, worse, RF7-I that alledgedly project even more...

The bad news is I'll definitely have to buy the RC64-III: my RC35 may cut it, as far as HT is concerned, but I'm listening to a lot of multichannel music and when the artist's voice goes from one RF7 to the RC35, it's just plain cruel for my present center...

Thanks again for giving me the nudge that was needed to pull the trigger!

IMG_3253.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's ok for the most part.  The biggest problem is with the bass.  If you put RF-7III's on that receiver, run them full range, then put in something like Metallica's concert blu ray, you can easily hear the receiver run out of gas when you get to about -10 on volume.  An external amp opens the floodgates so to speak, just sounds more full plus doesn't struggle in situations like this.  First time I heard the difference was with RF-7II's and a $7,500 amp when playing the waterfall scene on the Lorax.  I played the same scene on my SR-7009 and RF-7II's, just wasn't the same at all.  I was a believer starting at that point.  

Regardless, stick with the 7's, don't downgrade to 280f's.  

On 2/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, Alx said:

Hi guys,

I finally have my RF7-iii (pics below) : I'm over the moon 🤩 They're just like new, not even broken in... They sound amazing, just brilliant, I'm rediscovering all my CDs: it's pure bliss !

The excellent news is the Marantz SR7009 is doing just fine. Real, quality, music is coming out of those speakers, with good bass and proper articulation. I can feel a tiny bit of auditory fatigue in the trebles (even though I'm used to the Klipsch sound signature): I don't know if it's my room, the amp or if I'll just get used to my system? But I'm glad I didn't take the RF7-II or, worse, RF7-I that alledgedly project even more...

The bad news is I'll definitely have to buy the RC64-III: my RC35 may cut it, as far as HT is concerned, but I'm listening to a lot of multichannel music and when the artist's voice goes from one RF7 to the RC35, it's just plain cruel for my present center...

Thanks again for giving me the nudge that was needed to pull the trigger!

IMG_3253.jpg

Very nice....congrats on the purchase of your new speakers.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

It's ok for the most part.  The biggest problem is with the bass.

I get that. That's been the slightly disappointing part so far. The bass is there, and even tighter and more musical than I expected considering my receiver (but only since I've fiddled with Audissey and activated DynamicEQ, without it, the bass was really too quiet). But it's not "punchy", not as physical as one could imagine it could be with 2*10" woofers and such a large cabinet. I assume a good power amp would make a lot of difference in that area!

But for now, I'm happy as is, so my next purchase won't be an external amp. Actually, I'm hesitating between a new subwoofer (XTZ 10.17 edge ?) or a new central speaker. My RC35 is still relevant when I'm watching movies (impressive!), but for multichannel audio when the voice goes from a RF7 to the RC35, it's really bizarre... I'll probably change both, but I'm not made of money and I have to decide in which order to do it 😉

Cheers!