PowerGate Analog RCA out <> Line out

chuha

I think I get this, the RCA outs on my powergate are not line out, but rather analog output that might go, for example, into a sub-woofer and, in this way, volume on the powergate adjusts volume at the sub.

I assume that is exactly how the LFE works, and I am not surprised or disappointed. Can someone explain if it's common or necessary for a sub-woofer to take left and right analog/RCA ins?

What I'd like to do is use that RCA connection as a line-out to a computer so that I can enjoy the high quality analog to digital of the powergate and record vinyl with my computer (heck a digital out from the power gate to the computer would be better, but the PowerGate shows only as an output not an input for my mac...any ideas?) As it stands, I certainly could use the power gate's analog RCA outs as inputs to my computer, but I have to crank the volume on the powergate or there's nothing to record!

• 5 months later...

Is there anything that needs to be done to send signals via the RCA outputs on the Powergate?

I've been using the Powergate to power speakers with no problems. Today I plugged in RCA outputs to an external headphone amp, and got no signal. Thought it might be the cables, so I tried different interconnects - nothing. I then connected the same interconnects to my phone to the headphone amp - and that works. So now I am wondering if something needs to be selected on the Powergate to use the RCA output?

Near as I can tell from the meager documentation, the L and R outputs are pre-amp out, not fixed level like a tape monitor.  And the LFE output tracks volume along with them, but has a level trim function as well.

In order to use that signal to drive other equipment you'll most likely need to disconnect the speakers from the unit or insert a connector into the headphone jack.  Usually that will kill output to the speakers, the manual doesn't say (much of anything!).  An unterminated plug or adapter would be better than headphones for that purpose.

The volume control will need to be most of the way "up."  Should suffice nicely for feeding LP playback to an encoder.

How does anybody consider manuals like that provided for this gear worth the time invested in preparing them?

42 minutes ago, glens said:

Near as I can tell from the meager documentation, the L and R outputs are pre-amp out, not fixed level like a tape monitor.  And the LFE output tracks volume along with them, but has a level trim function as well.

In order to use that signal to drive other equipment you'll most likely need to disconnect the speakers from the unit or insert a connector into the headphone jack.  Usually that will kill output to the speakers, the manual doesn't say (much of anything!).  An unterminated plug or adapter would be better than headphones for that purpose.

The volume control will need to be most of the way "up."  Should suffice nicely for feeding LP playback to an encoder.

How does anybody consider manuals like that provided for this gear worth the time invested in preparing them?

Thanks glens. You were correct, the speakers must be unplugged in order for the RCA outputs to work. I did try to plug in headphones in first, but that only resulted in headphones playing via the Powergate - the RCA outputs were still zero. Unplug headphones, unplug speakers - RCA out works. Also correct in that the Line Out is low level - needed to max out volume on the Powergate (and also on FOOBAR) to get to a listenable level.

Going to have to be very careful when switching back to speakers, could blow things up if not careful.

Appreciate the help!

On 7/5/2019 at 10:16 AM, glens said:

Perhaps an unterminated plug in the headphone jack would enable the outputs while killing speaker output.  It sounds like no-load logic determines output capability and a bare plug should do that.

Just tried that, didn't work. Luckily, it isn't a big hassle to unplug the speaker wire to use the RCA outs.

It is funny - it seems like sometimes the people designing stuff have no idea how it would actually be used. I bought a 2015 Mazda, and the radio would play mp3/m4a files on a flash drive. However, it would not remember where it was when the ignition was turned off, it would always start back at track 1, AND the "random" feature would follow the same path every time. I reported it to Mazda, both US Operations and my local service department - neither had heard of the issue. Fortunately, Mazda HQ was quick to work up a fix within a month.

6 hours ago, sparky14 said:

it seems like sometimes the people designing stuff have no idea how it would actually be used.

And/or no idea how to adequately document what it is they've implemented.

I've got a Harley with a factory HK radio/CD player that was used for several model years - a mature product.  When encoding mp3s to disc for it, if I want to have the channels emit from the proper sides I must swap them while encoding.  Radio and CD ("proper") work correctly so it's not a wiring snafu, rather a firmware issue.  They've moved on to different head units now but the latest firmware for that generation, available for download from H-D.com today, is still buggy that way.  Maybe the fault is mine for never telling them...

On a bike it's rather immaterial, but unless you're standing behind them, John Entwistle should be on the left.