Does RP-280F have more treble/brighter highs than RP-8000F?

jason51672

• 1 month later...

@USER876 For the sake of keeping things simple, i fibbed a little bit in my original post.  I actually had the RP-6000F and was comparing to the R-820F but was planning on getting either the RP-280F or the RP-8000F.  I figured the highs would be similar if not the same between the RP-6000f & the RP-8000f given that they have the same tweeter.  Boy was I wrong!  The RP-8000F and the R-820F have much more treble and detail in the highs than the RP-6000F or the RP-620F.  It must be because of the much larger horns.   

I never had a chance to try the RP-280F but I'm very happy with the RP-8000F.  All around the RP-8000F is a much better speaker than the R-820F.  There is no comparison in terms of build quality and the RP-8000F has the detail and clarity in the highs that the R-820F has without being fatiguing. 

I kept reading about people saying Klipsch were very heavy in treble to the point of being "fatiguing" to listen to for an extended period of time.  Having only heard the RP-6000Fs I was completely perplexed by this because I didn't think it had heavy treble nor could if figure out what they meant by fatiguing.  After listening to the R-820Fs for a couple minutes I could tell what they meant, even though I liked the heavier treble.  The RP-8000F seems to have the best of both worlds.

I would say the differences between R and RP more than justify the price difference.

I figure you've already made your purchase, but let me know if you are still shopping and I can provide more info.

Edited by jason51672

On 3/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, jason51672 said:

@USER876 For the sake of keeping things simple, i fibbed a little bit in my original post.  I actually had the RP-6000F and was comparing to the R-820F but was planning on getting either the RP-280F or the RP-8000F.  I figured the highs would be similar if not the same between the RP-6000f & the RP-8000f given that they have the same tweeter.  Boy was I wrong!  The RP-8000F and the R-820F have much more treble and detail in the highs than the RP-6000F or the RP-620F.  It must be because of the much larger horns.   

I never had a chance to try the RP-280F but I'm very happy with the RP-8000F.  All around the RP-8000F is a much better speaker than the R-820F.  There is no comparison in terms of build quality and the RP-8000F has the detail and clarity in the highs that the R-820F has without being fatiguing. 

I kept reading about people saying Klipsch were very heavy in treble to the point of being "fatiguing" to listen to for an extended period of time.  Having only heard the RP-6000Fs I was completely perplexed by this because I didn't think it had heavy treble nor could if figure out what they meant by fatiguing.  After listening to the R-820Fs for a couple minutes I could tell what they meant, even though I liked the heavier treble.  The RP-8000F seems to have the best of both worlds.

I would say the differences between R and RP more than justify the price difference.

I figure you've already made your purchase, but let me know if you are still shopping and I can provide more info.

Hi jason51672 welcome to the forum. I’m kinda surprised that you found the 820f’s kinda “fatiguing”. I’ve previously had the previous RP line, and I find these new R series have a similar treble to those. They must have further refined the new RP series...

Never heard the previous Reference or Reference Premier lines so I can't compare, but as soon as I heard the R-280f I could tell what others meant by "fatiguing" in describing some Klipsch speakers.  Though, I was listening for it and don't think I would have would have used the term had I not heard others use it already.  I also like the bright heavy treble and don't think it would be an issue for me personally. The Polk S55/S60 and the RP-8000F also sound bright with heavy treble to me but I would not describe them as "fatiguing" in the least, so I can't say what it is that makes the R-280 "sound fatiguing."

• 11 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, jason51672 said:

I figured the highs would be similar if not the same between the RP-6000f & the RP-8000f given that they have the same tweeter.  Boy was I wrong!  The RP-8000F and the R-820F have much more treble and detail in the highs than the RP-6000F or the RP-620F.  It must be because of the much larger horns.

So if you choosing between RP6000f and RP8000f the second option is preferred in any case?