Got me a "new" pre-amp

Bonzo

Picked up a restored McIntosh C28 from a local tech today. He does excellent work and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. This was a one owner piece and has the slant leg cabinet that is in very nice condition. The glass and lettering are virtually flawless. I was hunting for a tube pre-amp but couldn't pass on this classic. So far, I am very impressed with the Mac/VRD combo. This one just might be a keeper?

Mac C28 and VRD's.jpg

• Like 6

Hey Schu, I wasn’t scared, just didn’t feel a need to do so as yet. I do appreciate the pics, thank you. Craig does excellent work! Can you tell me the actual finish of the base? I assume it’s figured walnut but not sure. 

Unfortunately, there is an issue. There was a slight hum/buzzing coming from both speakers. It really manifested itself when Imswapped the 6L6GC power tubes with KT-88’s. Everything I tried did not cure the problem. I ended up taking back to the seller/tech and we decided the combination may not be compatible. He graciously refunded the money. The search continues..........

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bonzo said:

Unfortunately, there is an issue. There was a slight hum/buzzing coming from both speakers. It really manifested itself when Imswapped the 6L6GC power tubes with KT-88’s. Everything I tried did not cure the problem. I ended up taking back to the seller/tech and we decided the combination may not be compatible. He graciously refunded the money. The search continues..........

I have to ask....did you have a preamp on the VRDs prior to putting the Mc in the chain?  And if so, did you not have the same issue when changing tubes?

I have a Yamaha C-80 preamp that is dead quiet at idle with the VRD’s. There was just something between the two, ok three, that wasn’t working together. I was actually in the market for a tube pre-amp. This came up for a great price so I gave it a try. It didn’t work out so no harm done. I will keep looking. Thanks guys.......

Too bad it did not work out. Suspect there was a hum that was grounding related. Flipping polarity on 2 prong plugs, using a cheater on 3 pin, running a grounding wire also. 

I developed hum one  time that putting a cheater on the computer monitor eliminated. Hum is tricky.