K-77-D

Dave A

I am looking for someone who has the new La Scala II's somewhere close to southern middle Tennessee. I would like to come and measure the horn lens and the cut out in the motorboard. Apparently these are a different animal and require a different size horn lens. PM me please if you can help or know someone who can.

You mean this?  Yes, the cabinet maker is working on the bottom of the top hat. 

[Edit here added so that my error does not cause confusion.  The photo is the cut-out in an AL5 type LaScala to allow use of a K-771 tweeter which is also used in the AK6 Klipschorn.  The original question above concerned the K-77 type tweeter reportedly made in the Philippines.  Sorry for my error.  Thanks, Schu.]

WMcD

tweeter hole 1.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting. It looks like I will have to design a new one for this with a longer tab on each end for the screw holes. Any idea why they are just floating around in such a big hole? What are the screw holes for on the motorboard? Are they pre-drilling the holes for the back side horn mounting screws?

This motor board has nothing in common with any other... including the LS1.

I can't comment on the holes, I don't have an idea why some of them are there. I do know this "larger" cutout has existed for many years in the LS2 speaker because I've had the reg version and the later 70th version and they both exhibited this layout.

Isn't this an opportunity to redesign the lens flare/configuration to something larger?

Not really. There is such a small demand for these right now that it would not be worth doing. What I can do is modify the design to extend the screw tabs on each end to match the larger hole spread. They will end up being a bit more expensive too with additional material and cutting time but I imagine not more than say 15 or 20$. 

These test pretty good and getting into making them longer but not being able to make them taller at the horn mouth would change that. If there is interest over time I will do so. Hoping to be able to test tweeters myself sometime later this year. I have the tools to do so I just don't know how to yet.