Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
JMON

Klipsch Restorations

Recommended Posts

So, this is a follow-on to a post I made earlier about a father and son team that restores Klipsch speakers (among others) and advertises on the local Craigslist and also on USA Audio Mart.  If you have a request for a specific speaker and would like to order a special finish, I'm sure they could oblige as I was told they have many speakers in inventory waiting to be restored.

 

I have no affiliation other that I have met them in person.

 

http://klipschrestorations.com/

 

Klipsch-Restorations-Header.jpg

 

2121233-klipsch-klf-20.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like 👍

 

I can see where people see the price as a too high, but are they? A lot of places have a huge markup (100% +) just to have it on a shelf and did nothing value added. $1200 for used Heresy sounds like heresy. How much do they spend / how much work goes into them / how much profit should they be allowed to keep the light on and sock some away for retirement?

 

Speakers - 300 ish

Veneer - 100 - 200 - 300 ish

Xovers

Grill cloth and wood

other materials (paint, screws, lacquer, risers, glue and chit)

Add in the labor of searching for the speakers, transportation, dismantle, installing xovers, whipping the cabinets into shape, making risers, new grills and book matching and applying the veneer isn't done with a rattle can. We know that the woodworking equipment isn't free and the ongoing perishables that the equipment uses and...

 

I wish my Mahogany KLF30's faces were finished with Mahogany veneer. I like what this father and son is offering. They are doing great work, a lot of it and wish them success.  

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I commend the effort and think some form of refinish is a great idea for many of these masterpieces (belle, la Scala, klipschorn) It's difficult to see the quality of restoration over the internet, but it looks as though they are accomplished.

 

That being said, to me there is something that looks off to me... I think it's probably the choice of veneers and basic design choices as being to grandiose and not really cohesive with the product. Volti basically did a similar thing years back and his offerings were EXTREMELY nice and attractive.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if they got rid of the ridiculous feet they always use and actually list them for a reasonable price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Schu said:

I commend the effort and think some form of refinish is a great idea for many of these masterpieces (belle, la Scala, klipschorn) It's difficult to see the quality of restoration over the internet, but it looks as though they are accomplished.

 

That being said, to me there is something that looks off to me... I think it's probably the choice of veneers and basic design choices as being to grandiose and not really cohesive with the product. Volti basically did a similar thing years back and his offerings were EXTREMELY nice and attractive.

Thing that looks off to me is the Forte III badges on what is likely (or is it?) Forte II's. Seems like a bit of false advertising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sam S. said:

Thing that looks off to me is the Forte III badges on what is likely (or is it?) Forte II's. Seems like a bit of false advertising.

Had similar thoughts.... Along with that, I am not a fan of the legs. I like the new canyfied badge, plus it does fit in with the *&#@t up paint an the $<&3wed up legs on the Forte they offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Like 👍

 

I can see where people see the price as a too high, but are they? A lot of places have a huge markup (100% +) just to have it on a shelf and did nothing value added. $1200 for used Heresy sounds like heresy. How much do they spend / how much work goes into them / how much profit should they be allowed to keep the light on and sock some away for retirement?

 

Speakers - 300 ish

Veneer - 100 - 200 - 300 ish

Xovers

Grill cloth and wood

other materials (paint, screws, lacquer, risers, glue and chit)

Add in the labor of searching for the speakers, transportation, dismantle, installing xovers, whipping the cabinets into shape, making risers, new grills and book matching and applying the veneer isn't done with a rattle can. We know that the woodworking equipment isn't free and the ongoing perishables that the equipment uses and...

 

I wish my Mahogany KLF30's faces were finished with Mahogany veneer. I like what this father and son is offering. They are doing great work, a lot of it and wish them success.   

 

I hadn't considered the other "work" they do in terms of tracking down speakers, buying them, picking them up, etc.  But you are right, there is a lot of time involved in what it takes to turn out these restorations.  I'd be curious to know how much labor time is spent in doing the actual restorations.  I'd guess they could do it faster than most hobbyists here since this is their profession, but that doesn't mean they should charge less -- skill and expertise cost more and nobody works for free.  As I mentioned in the other post, I believe their prices are comparable to our forum friend that started a business of restoring Klipsch speakers.  The market will tell them if they are overpriced and my understanding is that they have been able to make sales.

 

I think it is great that someone is doing this.  I don't believe our forum friend is doing restorations any longer now that his business has taken off.  It's nice to know that if you don't have the time, skills, or tools but want something of this quality, it is available.  And you don't even have to bring your own speakers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Schu said:

I commend the effort and think some form of refinish is a great idea for many of these masterpieces (belle, la Scala, klipschorn) It's difficult to see the quality of restoration over the internet, but it looks as though they are accomplished.

 

That being said, to me there is something that looks off to me... I think it's probably the choice of veneers and basic design choices as being to grandiose and not really cohesive with the product. Volti basically did a similar thing years back and his offerings were EXTREMELY nice and attractive.

I agree, most of the veneers I've seen I haven't been that fond of but I have also seen some nice ones (e.g., that Zebrawood KLF-20).  I am also not a fan of those metal feet.  I think I'd prefer the stock risers.  However, the bases they made for the KLF-20 is an improvement in my opinion.  I think the best option is to allow the customer to pick the veneer/finish and I'd bet they would offer that option if they were approached.

 

We have seen several want to buy ads here. For those looking, it might not hurt to give these guys a call.  Their website shows the following speakers currently in stock:

 

HERESY

HERESY II

CORNWALL

LA SCALA

BELLE

KLIPSCHORN

FORTE

FORTE II

CHORUS II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sam S. said:

Thing that looks off to me is the Forte III badges on what is likely (or is it?) Forte II's. Seems like a bit of false advertising.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I wondered where they got it from.  Maybe it came from Klipsch (since they do have the speakers in their possession).  They do advertise the speakers as Forte IIs, so no false advertising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JMON said:

 

I hadn't considered the other "work" they do in terms of tracking down speakers, buying them, picking them up, etc.  But you are right, there is a lot of time involved in what it takes to turn out these restorations.  I'd be curious to know how much labor time is spent in doing the actual restorations.  I'd guess they could do it faster than most hobbyists here since this is their profession, but that doesn't mean they should charge less -- skill and expertise cost more and nobody works for free.  As I mentioned in the other post, I believe their prices are comparable to our forum friend that started a business of restoring Klipsch speakers.  The market will tell them if they are overpriced and my understanding is that they have been able to make sales.

 

I think it is great that someone is doing this.  I don't believe our forum friend is doing restorations any longer now that his business has taken off.  It's nice to know that if you don't have the time, skills, or tools but want something of this quality, it is available.  And you don't even have to bring your own speakers.

Yes, the market will tell. If they are priced too high, there will be room for competition, or people will just buy new Fiii. It is sad when speakers are parted out and gone, rather than restored. Many times have we seen cabinets needing rescued. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yeah, yeah me too. I don't like the look of Subaru's and I think they're priced way too high, even though I 'm not interested in buying one, so I believe I'll just critique the hell out of 'em. That'll show 'em.

 

Keith

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, T2K said:

 

Yeah, yeah me too. I don't like the look of Subaru's and I think they're priced way too high, even though I 'm not interested in buying one, so I believe I'll just critique the hell out of 'em. That'll show 'em.

 

Keith

 

 

That's fine, I'll just laugh and wave the next time I zip past in my Michigan Blue Outback with all wheel drive, and you're stuck in the famous Alabama mud....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

That's fine, I'll just laugh and wave the next time I zip past in my Michigan Blue Outback with all wheel drive, and you're stuck in the famous Alabama mud....

 

OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T2K said:

 

OK.

On second thought, I'm not planning on driving down to Alabama anytime soon, so, never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

On second thought, I'm not planning on driving down to Alabama anytime soon, so, never mind.

 

Come on down anytime, although it's down to 56 degrees right now. And if you do plan on driving in the mud when you get here bring a farm tractor.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...