Exceptional Opportunity

Mallette

Let me preface by stating that an eBay “auction” is not a true auction with competing bidding until the bidding stops, with the high bidder the winner.  An eBay auction is more like a silent auction, where each bidder writes down his/her bid, with the high bid winning.  The use of the word auction below takes the foregoing into consideration.

Who knows the eBay rules?  If @Montego “won” the auction, how can the item be re-listed?  If the seller is permitted to reject a bid of $500 on a listing that says, “ Best Offer,” how can $500 not win?  Surely “Best Offer” doesn’t contemplate offers in excess of $500, that is the normal bidding process.

As previously mentioned, I have been in text contact with the seller.  If these are worth it to a forum member at, or near, $500, I will assist in acquiring them, including payment in cash, only after collecting them.  They’re less than 20 miles from me.

Apparently, the seller has no eBay experience, and it shows.

Fraziers.JPG

Given the unusual history of the eBay offerings for these speakers, I did not make an offer or place a sniped bid.   They have not yet been re-listed.

Apparently, the seller will not consider anything less than $1,000.  At that price, I suspect he’ll own them for a while.  

19 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Given the unusual history of the eBay offerings for these speakers, I did not make an offer or place a sniped bid.   They have not yet been re-listed.

Apparently, the seller will not consider anything less than $1,000.  At that price, I suspect he’ll own them for a while.  

It's too bad the seller doesn't seem to be straight up. 

As for wanting $1000.00 for them, I'm sure someone would be hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker at that price point. But who would pay that kind of money for a pair of used virtually unknown brand speakers? I think it would have to be someone who is a dedicated Frazier fan for sure.The other thing is even if you were a dedicated Frazier fan, the speakers haven't really shown any appreciation like so many other vintage lines of speakers. Is it possible that they are "sleepers" and may someday be worth a lot of money? Are they the ones that got away? Time will tell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevinmi said:

It's too bad the seller doesn't seem to be straight up. 

As for wanting $1000.00 for them, I'm sure someone would be hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker at that price point. But who would pay that kind of money for a pair of used virtually unknown brand speakers? I think it would have to be someone who is a dedicated Frazier fan for sure.The other thing is even if you were a dedicated Frazier fan, the speakers haven't really shown any appreciation like so many other vintage lines of speakers. Is it possible that they are "sleepers" and may someday be worth a lot of money? Are they the ones that got away? Time will tell.

I couldn’t have said it better myself, with one exception.  I don’t perceive his actions as being less than “straight up,” but an indication of his lack of understanding of the market, as you so accurately described it above.

I agree for $1,000 it would be difficult to buy better speakers, but the pool of Frazier aficionados is very shallow.

I can just see dragging those in to most living rooms in the burbs......of course I would. Limited buyers , yep.....patients...yep.

Question,  those piezo  tweeters ??  Are they considered "acceptable "by the "audiophile communty" ?

3 hours ago, Montego said:

I'll keep my perception to myself.

If I were you, I'd be pissed.  My perception is that he doesn't really want to sell them for less than $1,000.  He could have interpreted your questions as qualifying your "acceptance" at $500, thus, in his mind, giving him an out.

I feel like the matchmaker in Fiddler On The Roof by suggesting that you contact @kevinmi sometime next week (he's having surgery tomorrow).  He might be easier to deal with regarding his Frazier 7s.  Of course, you can't have them until after I have an opportunity to visit Kevin to hear them and his Khorns. :D

I'll wait a few days and send an email to the eBay seller inviting him to contact me if he again thinks of selling them.  If I hear anything, I'll share it here.

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Question,  those piezo  tweeters ??  Are they considered "acceptable "by the "audiophile communty"?

Certain piezo tweeters, used with a crossover designed for them, can sound very good. Dennis (djk) posted info about using them to great success. Most folk just use a small cap with them so they aren't optimized.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Certain piezo tweeters, used with a crossover designed for them, can sound very good. Dennis (djk) posted info about using them to great success. Most folk just use a small cap with them so they aren't optimized.

Thanks, I know I've heard some that were terrible. I've also heard some that were at least pretty good. I have some in a set of garage speakers and at a little distance  they do a good job.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:29 PM, Fish said:

Thanks, I know I've heard some that were terrible. I've also heard some that were at least pretty good. I have some in a set of garage speakers and at a little distance  they do a good job.

The piezo tweeters on my pair of 7's sound really good,. I was skeptical at first, especially since there were 2 of them. Both the tweeter circuit and midrange circuit have adjustable l-pads, so you can tweak the loudness.

On a different note, I recall reading that they made a version of the 7's that used a horn tweeter instead, which is the more sought after version. Perhaps Mallett could verify that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

Glad to see you’re up to posting Kevin @kevinmi.  Hope everything came out OK yesterday. 😉

I survived! They were able to do it  laparoscopic-ally, so it was outpatient surgery. 4 incisions, and they glued me back shut. I have no bandages or dressings whatsoever!

I'm hoping that you, Claude, and maybe Mopardave can plan a trip up here in a week or so. I'm sure I'll be pretty stir-crazy by then and in need of some company!

• Like 1