Wet Dusting (Not Cleaning) Vinyl

thebes

15 minutes ago, glens said:

At least the original Discwasher back in the day had directional fibers that scooped into the grooves.  Looks like RCA is marketing them now, but I think RCA ain't RCA anymore, either, so who can say...  Many good old names (not restricted to audio) were sold to marketers who do business out of China.

The mother of invention has been out of necessity and not so much out of personal expedience(wrong) yet, given attributes, one can hope for a better brush. In this case, your point, 

is well taken...

I think a little confusion is seeping into this thread.  We are talking about dusting, not record cleaning.  Discwasher etc. are for record cleaning. Most of my records are already washed but in the winter this house gets very dusty and just pulling the record out of its sleeve can attract some dust.  Typically I use a Audioquest dry brush, and a Zerostat (if needed) to deal with this surface dust. 

Hey Billybob thanks for the offer, but today I happened to be near a fabric shop and picked up some all cotton velvet and some linen/poly velvet to try out both kinds to experiment with.  I was the only guy in the store.  A woman asks me if I sew, which caused a bit of shrinkage, but I restored my manhood by stating in front of the six women lined up at the check out counter "that I'm only here to pick up chicks".

Temporarily I've wrapped both kinds around those foam spongy dish washing things with the scrub part on the back.  I've wet them lightly and wiped them down with a towel. They are barely damp, so I'm not really getting the vinyl wet. Seems to be picking up the dust quite well and no static when I  pull the record off.  I've only played a few sides, and more work is required but so far I'm thinking that while a bit more work than dry brush, this might to go int he winter or when records have been in their sleeves for awhile. Also gotta figure out which direction  to use the velvet, with the nap or against the nap.

• Haha 1

Marty,

Now that our kitchen remodel is finally complete, I’m mixing up a batch of Reg Williamson’s PVA peel to send some to Dave @Mallette, as promised quite some time ago.  I’ll gladly send you a small quantity of the ready-mixed slurry to clean a record or two.  

I think you’ll find the anti-static properties of the included Cyastat SN will render those records static free for life. As you mentioned, the act of removing vinyl from a paper sleeve creates a static charge that sucks dust from the air; not so after Cyastat, for reasons explained in the attached articles.

If you’re interested, please PM your address.  I believe I have it somewhere from the DJ demo record (which I gave the treatment) adventure, but it would be easier if you remind me.

As an aside, the kitchen remodel was delayed by the damn painters who played loud Beatles’ music while they slowly painted.  😏

TAA_articles.pdf

post-6832-0-96920000-1427368508_thumb.jpg

Rinse the record with warm tap water, try to keep the label dry

Use some mild dish soap that is already diluted and clean with your fingers

Wipe dry with a cotton dish towel on the plush side after shaking it out

Then leave on a dish rack, wooden is best

After that, I use a velvet disk brush with a little diluted alcohol to give the record a quick wipe when I play them

You could also wipe with a micro fiber towel and distilled water