CARY SLP98P F1 Sale Pending

Cornman

I cant find a mar on the unit nor the remote, but Ill call it 8 out of 10 in cosmetics . Works flawlessly . Great phono stage with both MC and MM  & if you want to bi-amp it has two outputs .  Output tubes 6sn7 are Tung-sol selected by Cary . The F1 has all those glorious upgrades listed in thread below from Cary .

If you have been shopping Pre amps you know the 98's reputation  so I want brag on it further . $2400.00

Contact me for more photos, my files are to large , happy to speak with you on any questions .

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

• Like 3

Yes Kevin this is one of the 3 pre-amps I purchased this month , "chasing the sound ". The 98 is quieter then a church mouse, I can not hear any hisss or any type of noise with ear to mid range horn . The sound quality was excellent very similar too the one I kept, just a matter of my ears - room and my taste .

Looking at the Cary site I thought the F1 would have all of the listed upgrades - But upon more investigation it appears some or optional . I will try to contact Cary today, hopefully with serial # they can provide the details .  Or maybe Kevin can tell us more about the F1 , he has spent a lot of time with his .

Mundorf MCap SUPREME EVO SilverGold Capacitors or Jensen Copper Foil/Paper-in-Oil/Pure Silver Lead-Out Capacitors

HEXFRED RECTIFIERS

KIMBER KABLE

SLP-98 PHONO STAGEPrice: $500.00 (includes parts and labor)

I just received this reply from Cary re: Upgrade question .

profile_mask2.png

Steve Witek <Steve@caryaudio.com>

11:44 AM (29 minutes ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Joe,

According to the records this unit was here and had the following upgrades installed. We cannot validate any changes made to the unit after it leaves Cary Audio. The previous customer may have taken the unit to a local repair shop and had more work done or made changes that would reverse what upgrades were installed when we had it.  

MR Clarity caps

MR Clarity caps

Upgrade

Lundahl Transformer

20:1 gain

Upgrade

Hexfreds

High speed low noise rectifiers

Upgrade

Steve

That Lundahl Transformer that allows the use of MC cartridges in the phono stage is another $500.00 upgrade . I dont have any experience with the MR Clarity caps, but someone on this site does & will hopefully comment .

Shu,  Dennis Had started building me a pair of Triode mono blocks couple weeks ago . In our several emails I asked about coupling caps in his "Sweet Little Pre " 98 ( as he calls it ) . He replied he does not know how these forum stories get started because all the SLP98's were Direct coupled .

Yet It seems to me that that must be an option though to have coupling caps etc. the Mundorfs & Jensens are offered by Cary as up grades in sets of4 . I Will send another E message to Cary asking for explanation unless Kevin or someone else here knows the answer .   ???

19 hours ago, Cornman said:

Shu,  Dennis Had started building me a pair of Triode mono blocks couple weeks ago . In our several emails I asked about coupling caps in his "Sweet Little Pre " 98 ( as he calls it ) . He replied he does not know how these forum stories get started because all the SLP98's were Direct coupled .

Yet It seems to me that that must be an option though to have coupling caps etc. the Mundorfs & Jensens are offered by Cary as up grades in sets of4 . I Will send another E message to Cary asking for explanation unless Kevin or someone else here knows the answer .   ???

When I purchased my SLP-98, I was told by the original owner that Upscale Audio did the F1 mods, and that some type of caps were indeed removed to make it direct coupled, which added a sense of speed to the unit. This is info I got several years ago, and I don't necessarily trust my memory that well. I would suggest getting a hold of Upscale Audio and see what they have to say.

• 2 weeks later...