"Klipsch by Brociner Khorn"??? Fairfield, CT $99

Oicu812

Curious, but where would one even start if they took on this project. At the end of it, how much of the original pieces and material would remain?

As much as I love history, my guess is that this will end up in the dumpster. When you think about it there are not that many things that survive 50-60 years. It would be interesting to learn how long they were used and cherished. 

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll bet that thing has seen some wild parties.  Oh, if only horns could talk.

Check the photos, there is some weirdness going on.  In some of them, you can see through the sides of the horn, and in others you can't...

10 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Check the photos, there is some weirdness going on.  In some of them, you can see through the sides of the horn, and in others you can't...

It's just an illusion with that center support piece on the horn which sticks out farther than the sidewalls.

Victor Brociner was one of PWK's first distributors in NYC.  We have 2 Brociner units in the KHMA collection.  Their relationship appears to have been rocky from the start.  Brociner liked to sell components, and mix-match with other manufacturers' parts.  Eventually he stopped paying royalties and started ripping off the design.  We have about an inch of documentation concerning patent infringement.  It appears that PWK did not have the resources to successfully get a cease and desist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JRH said:

Victor Brociner was one of PWK's first distributors in NYC.  We have 2 Brociner units in the KHMA collection.  Their relationship appears to have been rocky from the start.  Brociner liked to sell components, and mix-match with other manufacturers' parts.  Eventually he stopped paying royalties and started ripping off the design.  We have about an inch of documentation concerning patent infringement.  It appears that PWK did not have the resources to successfully get a cease and desist. 

That's the official word from "The Historian" (Jim Hunter, Curator of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

Curious, but where would even start if they took on this project. At the end of it, how much of the original pieces and material would remain?

As much as I love history, my guess is that this will end up in the dumpster. When you think about it there are not that many things that survive 50-60 years. It would be interesting to learn how long they were used and cherished. 

I think you might be able to veneer them.

It would be way beyond veneer. The surfaces would need to be smooth and the corners and edges would need to be crisp (I see a lot bondo and sanding involved). Then the drivers and woofers would need to be re-built, re-coned etc (if you can find the parts). The high end response (remember there is no tweeter) would be weak. The crossover I won't even discuss. How much would be left of the original? Probably very little.

How would it sound ...... well this would be a labor of love.

However, I have a neighbor with a 1950 something chevy coupe in the garage.  It has been in his garage for at least 20 years (possibly a father-son project that never happened). He is optimistic. Who knows!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RetiredUSA said:

lets spray them with truck bed paint and pass it around the forum.

what ever happen to the Cornwall vault?

It officially died/disappeared a few years ago.  IIRC, a forum member lent it to a non-member and it was not seen again.  Rumor is that it got recycled.  It served many well; too bad it had to end.

As a sometime custodian, I can attest it was inconvenient to store it and to ship it to its next home.  It's amazing it worked as well as it did for as long as it did.

@Dean  Dean- Did you have the vault built originally?

vault 1.JPG

vault 2.JPG