BS from PS Audio Paul McGowan

mikebse2a3

On 5/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, KT88 said:

I watched the video on youtube because of the comments. It is uplifting to read only the second comment written by Marianne Oelund. That's how cool this woman wrote.
Horns do not amplify but transform. Paul McGowan amplifies BS, untruths and old prejudices about horns.
I find his attitude very annoying. He mimics the serene friendly Hifi grandpa who knows everything and has seen everything and can judge everything. At the same time it is a really bad arrogant posturing with this mild smile.

But there is one thing I find reassuring. Many comments on this video speak for the horn systems.

It is also reassuring how many people comment negatively on this AC generator BS when you watch the video on youtube. It is the video that Amir from ASR is referring to, where the link is above in a post here.

PS Audio use standard measuring  instruments   ,in this test ,  I expected more modern computer assisted equipment and custom software Applications showing the data with graphics , and layouts   , now this is not to say that their equipment is not good  . but it's definitely not as high tech  as they claim .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rolox said:

Horn speakers DO sound "different". They don't image like regular audiophile speakers. That's enough to turn off most audiophiles, for whom a precise imaging that forms BEHIND the speakers plane is mandatory. 

Imaging is very important for me and horns can have excellent imaging if setup properly.

I remember comparing three very well setup systems using Klipschorns, JBL250ti and Quad 63 (USA) and while all had excellent imaging the Klipschorn system setup had the best sense of life size scale imaging and dynamics IMHO.

Here was an experiment for imaging I ran comparing the KEF LS50 (near field listening setup) versus the Underground Jubilee setup.  Both systems gave very similar results in all aspects of imaging and was so close that I believe most people who think small near field setups can’t give life size imaging or that horn systems can’t image with depth or instrumental/vocal specificity would be shocked.

miketn

E7A4AB89-51C7-4897-B656-C8DCF05FB4B1.thumb.jpeg.dfae9843bd7eb4d65f396a403ae335f3.jpeg

• Like 3

I agree with mikebse2a3 about the imaging of Horns. I have corner mounted Horns, firing across the room. I do have plenty of room treatment installed as suggested for corner firing Horns. I get an image that stretches from corner to corner with decent depth, and sometimes images seeming to come from outside the room boundaries! 

Placement is precise, and the entire sound field is large enough to imagine a band being right in the room with you.

I have a TON of other speakers, including Magnepan 1.6, Apogee Duetta Signatures, Tannoy Concentric Monitors, Altec Malibu, and several others as well. I always wind up going back to my corner mounted Horns, and no, they are not Klipschorns or Jubilee's.

3 hours ago, Jim Gregory said:

The funny thing is I used Paul McGowan’s book to set up the speakers for my system. 

I think Paul is a good person and seriously lacks experience with good horn loudspeakers.. 😄

Did you use his “The Audiophile Reference Disc Vol. 1”

I have found it useful as part of setting up my system.

miketn

1E1B3941-07E3-4150-BE15-998384E13188.thumb.jpeg.00e8af9c5417f19296643f61793d83a0.jpeg

On 5/11/2022 at 7:06 PM, KT88 said:

I watched the video on youtube because of the comments. It is uplifting to read only the second comment written by Marianne Oelund. That's how cool this woman wrote.
Horns do not amplify but transform. Paul McGowan amplifies BS, untruths and old prejudices about horns.
I find his attitude very annoying. He mimics the serene friendly Hifi grandpa who knows everything and has seen everything and can judge everything. At the same time it is a really bad arrogant posturing with this mild smile.

But there is one thing I find reassuring. Many comments on this video speak for the horn systems.

It is also reassuring how many people comment negatively on this AC generator BS when you watch the video on youtube. It is the video that Amir from ASR is referring to, where the link is above in a post here.

Amir? As far as I'm concerned, HE is bullshit. Okay so his measurements are good. The conclusions he draws from them are just plain wrong. Like, all DACs that measure close sound the same? hahaha that's the most idiotic "rule" he's been trying to spread amongst his disciples.So far from the truth it makes you wonder if all those guys ever actually listen to music and to their system, or if they just look at oscilloscopes all day.