Oversized Hole for K-77-D

Dave A

OK can someone tell me why the La Scala II tweeter cutout is so darned big relative to the tweeter lens? What I am told is that the new tweeter just floats around in that hole and it sure looks to me like the screw hole pattern is longer center to center too.  I know Klipsch has CNC routing capability and the tweeter is precision cast so what's the deal with the third world hole size?

Hole size is decreased in 2018 Lascala II.  Not sure exactly what year they reduced the size.  First of the Lascala IIs used the K-77F with standard size horn used by all earlier K-77M tweeters allowing the entire horn to extend through the motor board with z-brackets.  Even after the change to the K-77D for some number of years the larger hole was maintained and earlier tweeters could be fitted to those holes using z-brackets.  As of 2018 (and perhaps some years earlier), only the K-77D could fit in the holes and no way to use the earlier K-77F or K-77M tweeters.  Attached is a picture of the K-77D installed in a 2018 Lascala II.

Bob Crites

K77D_in_2018_Lascala.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Schu said:

This is a 70th, but I guess that would be 2017...

41747349200_ec730ac368_k.jpg

I guess that means I could use your 120's/lens and z brackets, correct Bob?

Actually, I do not think you could.  Your corners of the cutout are rounded.  I think they would have to be squared off to have that horn fit.  They stopped squaring off the corners at some point before yours were produced.  Some people have used them by doing some file work on the corners.

Thanks for the concise info Bob, I never thought of Zee brackets. I like that new K-77D shape better than anything before and wonder why they did not make that change a long time ago. Now if they would just front mount the mid horn.

Are those screw hole centers still the same as the K-77M?

1 hour ago, BEC said:

This picture shows the newer K-77D and the K-77F with z-brackets installed behind it.

Bob Crites

k77dvsstandard.jpg

Bob,

The length looks same. The height looks different. 

I measure the bolt hole spacing at 6 1/4 long and 1 7/8 high for the K-77D. Is that the same as the K-77F with  Z brackets?

On 1/29/2019 at 9:44 PM, Dave A said:

Now if they would just front mount the mid horn.

I'll be rebuilding some LSIs soon.  The same pair I'll be using your tweeter lenses in.  I'm going to try to either front mount the mid horn or possibly beveling the motorboard to continue the flare of the horn.  I'll have to get them in my hands and play with them to figure out which way I want to go.

I vote routered for the flange and cover with grill. If the flange is too thick for that then a grille can still cover it. And if all that is desired is sound and looks don't count this has to be better than back mount no matter what.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 12:20 PM, Schu said:

I vote Bevel... front mounting looks bad.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Dave A said:

I vote routered for the flange and cover with grill. If the flange is too thick for that then a grille can still cover it. And if all that is desired is sound and looks don't count this has to be better than back mount no matter what.

Both options are on the table.  If I front mount I planned or routering the hole so that the horn would be flush to the motarboard.  These will also have screens on them for grill covers as they will be on my patio and mud dobbers love making nests in places like these.  I had to screen all the openings on my Table Tuba that I have out there as well.