KPT-456 Bass Bin Baffle Question

Dave A

While working on these 456's I notice a piece of plywood inside the cabinet towards the top. It is fill width, starts about 4" back from the front of the motorboard and goes at a 45% angle down towards the back and ends just about at the back top corner of the input cup cutout and has a layer of foam on the down side slope. What exactly does adding this piece do?

I have been told it breaks up the sound reflections in the cabinet to prevent what they call a standing wave. I did not save the link but do a search for standing wave baffles.

Forgot to mention congrats on the 456's. You are really going to like them.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, Dave A said:

While working on these 456's I notice a piece of plywood inside the cabinet towards the top. It is fill width, starts about 4" back from the front of the motorboard and goes at a 45% angle down towards the back and ends just about at the back top corner of the input cup cutout and has a layer of foam on the down side slope. What exactly does adding this piece do?

It breaks up standing waves.  I'm not that smart so I asked this exact question to Roy last time we were at the factory.   He said that they waste a lot of lumber trying and measuring different positions in the speaker until they find just the right spot to put it.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

It breaks up standing waves.  I'm not that smart so I asked this exact question to Roy last time we were at the factory.   He said that they waste a lot of lumber trying and measuring different positions in the speaker until they find just the right spot to put it.

The references I found for these online all talked about what they do and the value of it but none claimed to have software or the ability to say exactly how to do it for a new speaker. Trial and error and testing each variation to find the sweet spot seems to be the only way.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:45 AM, Dave A said:

Trial and error and testing each variation to find the sweet spot seems to be the only way.

That's pretty much what Roy said.  Try a position and measure.   Move and repeat till you get the results you want.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, Mopardamo said:

Thank you Dave A.  Have lusted for La Scala's since living with them in college.  From what folks have said these are another step up!  Be interesting to see if my set will have the standing wave breaker.

I was surprised to see it since some of the others I have had with that bass bin did not have it. They all sounded great and unless I had the two types side by side I  could not tell any difference based on memory. I am sure it improves them but you wont miss the baffle either.

It will be fun to read your response to getting these. You should see some of the comments I get back from my buyers. You are in for a revelation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...