I love Triode

Cornman

In the process of dialing in all the right setup needed for the new to me - Oris 150 horns this week   I was reminded of why I love Triode - SET design Amp's .

After-many trials of changing toe  in and bass low filter pass adjustments , input levels etc. I still did not find the sound tolerable . Especially Female voices - harsh - unpleasant .

I was using a new Latino ST120 with all the upgrades and was impressed with it's performance driving the  Cornscallas that I have been using .

The 200 hz  + low pass setting helped , but it was still so unpleasant I was about ready to turn it off , when I remembered that my amp has a Triode & linear switch. With the Cornscallas I had always preferred the linear setting. So when I flipped the switch I was shocked at the difference,  the music got sweet or at least listenable . Wow what a difference, still have some issues but the Oris hold promise . What a difference design selection plays, in finding our favorite tone and presentation . Just my flavor ,others rightly so prefer SS or other designs .

I love SET Triode 

IMG_2172.JPG

• Like 1

Just to clarify- the Latino amps run the output stage as either push-pull triodes (considered by some to be the best of all modes of operation), or ultralinear (considered by some to offer the worst qualities of triode and pentode operation).  SET refers to single ended triode which is a totally different mode of operation.

Maynard

I don't like the sound of my Latino amp in single ended mode, and was actually wondering what all the fuss was about with the SET crowd. Then I purchased the Inspire by Dennis Had and found out! There is no comparison in my opinion between an ultralinear amp switched to triode mode and a dedicated triode circuit amp.

• Like 1