What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

14 below right now, going down to 22 below by morning.  Had an interesting time with my relatively new Subaru Outback today.  Went to the Post Office about 10 minutes away.  When I came back out, it wouldn't start, had all kinds of flashing alert lights, said the parking brake was on, (when it wasn't), Check Engine light, oil temperature light, etc, etc, etc.  I finally got it to start, but it wouldn't shift out of first gear.  Pretty sure the central computer was/is frozen and malfunctioning....not going to drive it again until the weekend when it warms up.  Hope it's just temporary.

About a week ago the wife's 2016 Honda CR-V wouldn't start. It has 4668 miles after 30 months of ownership. The needle on the battery tester jumped up to almost the DEAD section of the scale. My 2012 Buick was sitting next to it in the garage with less 12,000 miles with the original battery. Worst battery life in the Honda I've ever experienced in my life. Bought a Optima Yellow Top.

Keith

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

14 below right now, going down to 22 below by morning.  Had an interesting time with my relatively new Subaru Outback today.  Went to the Post Office about 10 minutes away.  When I came back out, it wouldn't start, had all kinds of flashing alert lights, said the parking brake was on, (when it wasn't), Check Engine light, oil temperature light, etc, etc, etc.  I finally got it to start, but it wouldn't shift out of first gear.  Pretty sure the central computer was/is frozen and malfunctioning....not going to drive it again until the weekend when it warms up.  Hope it's just temporary.

Does your car stay in a garage? I'll bet it will be fine after tomorrow, supposed to warm up.

5 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I like your taste sir 

Batteries are like tires, an investment. The wife owned her last car 17.5 years. I replaced the original tires after 3 years with a set of Michelins. Never bought another tire for that car. The Michelins had lots of tread life left when I sold the car with 58,000 miles.

Keith (down to low 20's last night)

• Like 1

My cell phone reports it's -0 right now.  Minus zero?

What is zero, anyway?  It's not positive, but it's not a negative number either.  But surely my phone wouldn't lie to me.

Suddenly, life doesn't make any sense.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Preaching to the choir.   I have always had optimas in my cars (red or yellow) .   Yellow tops are even better with SERIOUS car stereos.   A little over $100 for guaranteed dependability, yes please.   

Not here. Red top near $200 failed after 3 years and Optima recanted on the warranty. Cold or hot 2-3 years max and I always install the highest CCA that will fit. Stock auto / no additional parasitic drag 

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Not here. Red top near $200 failed after 3 years and Optima recanted on the warranty. Cold or hot 2-3 years max and I always install the highest CCA that will fit. Stock auto / no additional parasitic drag 

Interesting.   My experience has been the extreme opposite.   You go with what you know? 

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Interesting.   My experience has been the extreme opposite.   You go with what you know? 

First one they installed just make the solenoid click with no starter rotation. Excuse was that we don't sell a lot of those so it was "stale". Oh, Oh, Oh O'reily
I have purchased several batteries for our vehicles over the course of 9 years in this heat. Brand, CCA, warranty be damned all failed around 3 years. Buy a cheap one that has a little more than OEM CCA and prepare to buy another one.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

For the record, these are "dry cell" batteries.  Where you get them from matters.... Dry cell batteries mishandled are trash

Gel cell and buying from the manufactures' store did not help matters. 

13 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

For the record, these are "dry cell" batteries.  Where you get them from matters.... Dry cell batteries mishandled are trash

I worked in gas stations during my teenage years and technology has advanced buuut back than we received new lead / acid auto batteries, stored them on a shelf with no concrete contact and when sold I filled with acid, charged for 30 minutes and installed. Topping off cells was with distilled water..another plus of buying more than $5.00 worth of gasoline along with checking oil, power steering, auto transmission fluid, air pressures (including the spare) and cleaning windshield with a bug rag and chamois. A full tank (rare) got the floorboards swept out with a whisk broom. 33 1/3 cents per gallon for regular...you do remember premium, right? Profit margin at the station was $0.03 per gallon

7 minutes ago, USNRET said:

buuut back than we received new lead / acid auto batteries, stored them on a shelf with no concrete contact and when sold I filled with acid, charged for 30 minutes and installed.

That was my job as well.  We would get batteries in dry and store them on wood shelves.  When a customer bought one it was my job to fill them out of a bag of hydrocloric acid.  I used to splash it on my shirt, pants and fingers.  A few days later the clothes has holes in them from the acid.  I use to call those my "experience" clothes.

I loved to lick the acid off my fingers.  Not a drink of acid mind you, just the tips of my fingers.  Tastes like lemons. 

Yum yum.  🍋

19 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That was my job as well.  We would get batteries in dry and store them on wood shelves.  When a customer bought one it was my job to fill them out of a bag of hydrocloric acid.  I used to splash it on my shirt, pants and fingers.  A few days later the clothes has holes in them from the acid.  I use to call those my "experience" clothes.

I loved to lick the acid off my fingers.  Not a drink of acid mind you, just the tips of my fingers.  Tastes like lemons. 

Yum yum.  🍋

^^^^^

==== well, that explains a lot — 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:
4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

When I came back out, it wouldn't start, had all kinds of flashing alert lights, said the parking brake was on, (when it wasn't), Check Engine light, oil temperature light, etc, etc, etc.  I finally got it to start, but it wouldn't shift out of first gear. 

Sounds like limp mode 

Well at that temperature it's understandable, limp is lucky that's all that is going on, could have froze and broke.:unsure2: 

• Haha 2