What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

When we lived in Ft. McMurray Northern Alberta (way south relative to @YK Thom) I bought an Eddie Bauer Expedition coat (like LL Bean, but Canadian ... I think) ... this was way back ... it literally weighs 10 lbs all down.  When it hit -51 deg C, I wore that coat for days.  Buick Rendezvous had 4 flat tires and the info center said "Take me to a dealer".  Engine management module frozen.  We got our Yukon Denali stuck (high centered on snow) twice in the same storm.  

For those who have ever watched Survivor Man, he did an episode where he was stranded in a car in the "back country".  That was interesting ... I paid attention.

Spring can't come soon enough.

• Like 3

They tell me layering of clothes and good head covering a real good idea for real weather like up where you members are. Back in 75 went to NYC for honeymoon. Seeing bride's aunt and uncle in Vermont, found out that even in May, it was colder than expected. We

went to a thrift shop she suggested and got a real ski-jacket that was heaviest had at that point. It really came in handy down here when we had weather at times at 9 degrees with wind chill on top. (good old days in N Florida) Have read and know from the telly that survival is a real consideration, and stranded in the snow. Gave me a few pointers that made sense to always have with you in the car.

• Like 1

Since the monsoon is now over...

We've had a very wet winter.  I made a comment recently about how soft the ground is, my wife even slipped on some grass that ripped up and fractured her leg.

So the ground is already saturated.....then we had the rain that hit half the country yesterday & day prior (?)

We have a depression here, we call it a pond.  If it DOWNPOURS the pond will get to about ankle deep from collecting the runoff from around the area.  I use this as my burning pit.  It is bone DRY 99% of the time except for a downpour.  Then 24/48 hours later, it's bone dry again.

I currently have a pile of stuff to burn in there that is probably 2-3 times larger than my industrial sized backhoe (JCB 1550)

The pond was at the brink of over flowing during this storm.  In my 30 years of knowing my wife's family, I've never seen this pond so full as it is today.

Ankle deep?  all the time, knee deep?  couple times.  This is approaching five feet plus.

You can see my burn pile but you cant tell I have entire trees (40/50 feet long) in it!

I'll be damn glad when things dry out and simply walking in the grass isn't a health threat.

Pond.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dtel said:

It takes quite the imagination to call than open. :huh:

Looks pretty open to me :D 

Crazy wind and snow here yesterday.  Almost had a Suburban wipe out in front of me on the backroad right as I was getting home from the airport.

Back to subzero temps as wuzzzer mentioned above...not looking like a pleasant March ahead for us :( 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@NADman

That is one of the better images of a sundog I've seen. Thanks for sharing!

So that's what they are called, I have seen one in my life when out in the Gulf, had no idea what it was.

It was straight overhead about midday or a little later probably, about 85 degrees so I know it was not from cold. 

conquest 05 2008 (548).jpg

conquest 05 2008 (552).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Yes, I couldn't look at it, your right without the camera there was no pink, it was big, that is an 18mm lens. I kind of held up a couple of fingers to block the sun to know if I was pointing the right way. I set the camera on auto since I had no idea or time to mess with it.

I was sitting in the shade and noticed everyone pointing up so I went to look, and just happen to have the camera.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Believe this was from the NatGeo pics of the day pages.

Great pic, I like it much better on the horizon, especially with something in the foreground.

• Like 2