What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

How high do you estimate the drifts are there now?

I've seen one blizzard, being a Southerner - 55 mph wind, lightning, thunder with 28 inches in one day here on Charlotte's south side in `04. My `94 9C1 was gone - buried. The Volvo S-60 next to it gone - just two six foot tall lumps over there. Four feet of snow piled up against the doors of the house.

We've got a sliding glass door here so I could climb up and get out. 28" in the middle of the flat spot of the back patio. Went up to 40 degrees the next day and it was gone soon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

How high do you estimate the drifts are there now?

I see many 8 to 12 foot drifts in places.  Like on the road in front of my farm.  I have seen a few pics from this area of people opening there garage doors and nothing but a wall of snow faces them.  That would suck.  I am not sure why the 1/2 mile east to west road in front of my house is so bad with this last storm.  They are bringing dozers out tomorrow to move the edges back.

snow doorjpg.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

When there is snow on roofs and sidewalls I would think that acts as insulation? If it's 0 to whatever below zero being that snow can only be a little below 32 degrees shouldn't that help keep it warmer inside? Well warmer than the much lower air temps outside, instead of 0 or - temperatures on the side of the house it's 32 degrees on the wall.

Always wondered about that.

Those pictures are crazy, I can't imagine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dtel said:

When there is snow on roofs and sidewalls I would think that acts as insulation? If it's 0 to whatever below zero being that snow can only be a little below 32 degrees shouldn't that help keep it warmer inside? Well warmer than the much lower air temps outside, instead of 0 or - temperatures on the side of the house it's 32 degrees on the wall.

Always wondered about that.

Those pictures are crazy, I can't imagine.

I'm not sure it does much, unless your attic is not well sealed/insulated.  I sometimes rake a good chunk of snow off my roof (the parts I can get to anyway) to help prevent ice dams in the valleys...that's assuming it ever gets warm enough to melt here :D 

• Like 1

There is air trapped in most snow,  so yes it insulates.  Normally I would go around the house and blow snow against the foundation.  It helps the house stay much warmer.  No need to do that with this storm.  When I look at the garage door pic,  I think,   what a great bass trap!  The sound would be better.  But that is me,  not fond of big boomy bass.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 6:46 PM, dtel said:

So that's what they are called, I have seen one in my life when out in the Gulf, had no idea what it was.

It was straight overhead about midday or a little later probably, about 85 degrees so I know it was not from cold. 

conquest 05 2008 (548).jpg

conquest 05 2008 (552).jpg

Best info I could find for warm weather 'sun dogs'.  Ice.

https://www.westfargopioneer.com/news/4306051-weather-talk-sundogs-summer-why-not

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, nlt6mor said:

When I look at the garage door pic,  I think,   what a great bass trap! 

I would think it also deadens the walls by making them stiffer with the snow solidly against the walls.

? I don't know and have experience with real snow only when on vacation, and not that much. 

Bad wind storm the other day, lost shingles off the house, garage and barn, haven't inspected the grainery yet. House roof is less than two years old. Have the much thicker 40 year shingles on everything. On and off ramp to highway three miles down the road lost all eight stop lights, broke moorings and wrapped around each other. One was hanging only two or three feet above pick-up roof, no way it would clear a Semi. The staties were blocking the on ramps and not allowing Semis to get on the Highway during the worst of it.

24 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Bad wind storm the other day, lost shingles off the house, garage and barn, haven't inspected the grainery yet. House roof is less than two years old. Have the much thicker 40 year shingles on everything. On and off ramp to highway three miles down the road lost all eight stop lights, broke moorings and wrapped around each other. One was hanging only two or three feet above pick-up roof, no way it would clear a Semi. The staties were blocking the on ramps and not allowing Semis to get on the Highway during the worst of it.

When they shingled your roof, did they remove the cellophane strips on the underside of the shingles before installing them?  Most roofers nowadays DO NOT do it, because it takes time to do it and "time is money"....but those tar patches on the underside of the shingles is what keeps them from coming loose....and if the cellophane strips are not removed, then the tar patch can't adhere to the shingle under it....leaving only the roofing nails to hold the shingle on...not enough to keep high winds from causing them to blow loose/off.

11 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

When they shingled your roof, did they remove the cellophane strips on the underside of the shingles before installing them?  Most roofers nowadays DO NOT do it, because it takes time to do it and "time is money"....but those tar patches on the underside of the shingles is what keeps them from coming loose....and if the cellophane strips are not removed, then the tar patch can't adhere to the shingle under it....leaving only the roofing nails to hold the shingle on...not enough to keep high winds from causing them to blow loose/off.

Can't say for the Mexicans that did my house and separate Garage, but I did on the Barn and the Grainery.

Good point. I had a small crew 'blend'  the shingles to a new small L addition to my garage. Looks good but I was wondering about those little strips.

NO, they didn't remove them or explain. I would think that they would need some heat-sunshine etc. to seal. Lots of roofs done here in below freezing weather and heavy winds.

My bad for not asking. So far so good.

2 hours ago, NADman said:

Good point. I had a small crew 'blend'  the shingles to a new small L addition to my garage. Looks good but I was wondering about those little strips.

NO, they didn't remove them or explain. I would think that they would need some heat-sunshine etc. to seal. Lots of roofs done here in below freezing weather and heavy winds.

My bad for not asking. So far so good.

Even if the shingles are put on in cold weather, if the cellophane strips are removed first, then the first hot day in the summer they will still stick to the shingle under them....but is always wisest to have new roofing done in summer and to hang around to make sure they are removing the cellophane before putting the shingles on.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:49 AM, HDBRbuilder said:

19 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Can't say for the Mexicans that did my house and separate Garage, but I did on the Barn and the Grainery.

The strips are there to keep the shingles from sticking together in the bundles, and do not need to be removed when installed.