What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Humidity was in the mid sixties here this morning.  What a relief.  Highs will only be in the upper 80's which is about 10 degrees cooler than it's been.

Same here, you can definitely feel the difference.

16 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Cut the lawn day for sure.

Same idea I had.

not me

my "lawn" looks like a bale of straw was busted in the yard.... and the sun is consuming everything in its path

interesting factoid

the record high temps for here are only about 10`+ normal.... I guess it can only get so warm?  Highest I have ever seen was 117`.  And I was out on the lake getting steamed/poached.  I remember getting ill from the heat and it feeling like the worst hangover EVER.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

is that up or down?

60% is stiflingly high for here.

dew is the same as rain for me... an anomaly

It's normally 80 percent and up.  90 percent is certainly not unusual.  One of the meters I have quits reading somewhere over 80 or 90 percent and just displays "H" for high.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

60% is stiflingly high for here.

You could probably dry fruit on low days by judt leaving it out.

57 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

One of the meters I have quits reading somewhere over 80 or 90 percent and just displays "H" for high.

Looking for a new indor/outdoor thermometer now, the last one was off by at least 5 degrees in temps and humidity part gave out and the needle just hung straight down.

13 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

86* F. Partly Cloudy, with a chance of MIlf:

Looks like the busy time of the day, alot of people out.

• Like 1

it's a BEEEEEEAUTIFUL day

104` and 10 - 20mph breeze  

You won't hear me complain about heat often... but ugh!

don't want the inside temp too comfortable. If you have to step outdoors, the temp difference will about kill you

• Like 1

I hear you about the ac shock in August or the flame searing fireplace blower vs 5 degrees in Feb.

When it's 78 and nice like today we pop the hatches if pollen and humidity are low like today. Just the ceiling fans.

60 at night in the winter is warm enough with blankets on the bed except the walls get cold when it's 20 outside.

We don't have insulation between the brick and the sheetrock, they didn't do that here in 1958 when energy was so cheap. Ma worked two jobs to keep us going and dressed without her other half that no more got done here except above and below that we did. Remember the asbestos blower trucks all over blowing that gray crap into the walls and attics of houses all around here when I was in grade school.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

We don't have insulation between the brick and the sheetrock, they didn't do that here in 1958 when energy was so cheap

about the same vintage as this place. No insulation in it, either. I fixed that.   There used to be 2 wood burners in it... and a cookstove.

We do have a bit of a radiant barrier. The back of the house is covered in aluminum lithography plates.  Serious. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WillyBob said:

about the same vintage as this place. No insulation in it, either. I fixed that.   There used to be 2 wood burners in it... and a cookstove.

We had a wall of about 42 pine trees around the perimeter plus more shade trees in the yard for late am through the pm radiant heat from the sun.

That helped a lot year round. HUGO destroyed most of it, took 60 trees from this third of an acre.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

glad my wife and daughter have been serious about the grass cutting!

Does that mean they tell you when it's getting tall?

Most of what I do goes unnoticed.

it's jerky/mummy day

20 - 30mph wind... but, hey! the temp dropped 5`..... to 100`.   lol   Dew point? 30`  Kinda dry

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

That is an accomplishment!

Bravo!!

I can’t do any of that for a while, shoulder surgery.

5 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Does that mean they tell you when it's getting tall?

Most of what I do goes unnoticed.

it's jerky/mummy day

20 - 30mph wind... but, hey! the temp dropped 5`..... to 100`.   lol   Dew point? 30`  Kinda dry

They have commented that the lawn care was more involved than they thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

our patch of tifgreen is called "Bill's lawn". 

I'll spend my "down time" sitting, pulling weeds.  It's easy in the spring.  Anything green is a weed.

Later in the season ...If it looks too happy, it's a weed.

tbh

I wouldn't have a lawn. I didn't know there was grass here, until it rained.  Whether you weed and water or not, you still have to cut the crap. It won't die. Just get nasty looking. 

Bermuda grass is almost impossible to kill.  Digging it up and leaving it in the sun for a couple years... nope. You need to burn it. Then burn the ashes.

• Haha 2

Yep @Ceptorman I do recall that and the trouble you've had with it, hope you're getting better. But if you've got the gals taking care of it they're great! Around here it is odd to see the homeowner doing their own yardwork.

I think that they are the abnormal, lazy ones, and yep I wash our car once a month too, sometimes twice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1