What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

18 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

was in the 80s today ... currently 77.  Been this way most of the past month.

If I could pick a day with perfect weather, it would be what we had today. Sunny, 78, low humidity, slight breeze. And down to 58 tonight....I''ll open the windows to air the place out tonight.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yes, uh the rain and wind picked up right after I posted that, yes that bird is not much of a party bird, it never moves. :huh:

Edit; The only reason I can stay out here is because the roof hangs further than where the hammocks hang, unless the wind blows hard from the wrong direction. 

940A1645-B730-45B8-9F28-E92281BCCDDC.jpeg

9E15484A-3C7C-4E7C-8CA4-70137596CBC7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There isn't a high pressure system east of the Mississippi except at the Great Lakes and then near the Rockies. 

The reason I pay attention to this intently is I went to bed hearing thunderstorms one night in September long ago. Woke up at about 2am to a strange sound, it was the huge dumpster in the apartment parking lot inching down the hill, it traveled to the curb 40' down. I couldn't fall down into the wind if I relaxed I'd get moved (there wasn't debris flying around so I got lucky).

We don't have a weather service in this million + metro area for decades. (F_ GOV) the one up in Raleigh then further away south in GSP SC are too far away to cover us well. Tornado warnings within five minutes after it has gone near or over us twice since `03.

927mb is strong,

so are gusts of 190mph. It's possible it could march right through us again, Dorian's not huge like Hugo was but it's strong. When weather forecasters were real my fascination with it led me to look at stuff that I have to search intently for now.

This storm is going wherever it wants to, watch out folks gotta look out for yourselves.

satsfc00.gif 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It's amazing that a storm with that much energy can move at a measly 8 mph, but have wind speeds close to 200 mph. Praying for the Bahamas.

The dynamics of rotational forces, amongst other things.

Will it fall?  A dream or awake? 

NearVigilantCanadagoose-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1

Heck cat 5 starts at 157 mph I've never been that fast except in a plane. 185mph? if there was a 6 this would be one. The Bahamas getting scoured by it will be lucky to be above sea level after it passes. Tell me how 20+ inches of rain is a threat after twenty feet of salt water is already over you?

• Moderators

82 here with 78% humidity, better than the bahamas apparently.

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Tell me how 20+ inches of rain is a threat after twenty feet of salt water is already over you?

Good question. 

Every hurricane I have ever been through rain was never the problem, it was either wind or mostly it's the storm surge that causes most of the damage. Now over where Carl lives they had a storm sit over them for a week, rain was their biggest problem.

But I have never been on an island with nothing around to slow it down and had 185mph winds either.  We had 140 mph winds here, couldn't imagine 185 mph.

We had two feet from that Hugo I'll never forget, but we're three hours from the beach! I've seen 190 mph coming out of a turn at the speedway but that's hard to translate the wind I felt off of that to the almost 90 I felt right before Hugo's eye crossed the pond in the backyard where I lived then. The Sandhills (eastern NC) do get messed up bad often when these storms hit and loiter.

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Heck cat 5 starts at 157 mph I've never been that fast except in a plane. 185mph? if there was a 6 this would be one. The Bahamas getting scoured by it will be lucky to be above sea level after it passes. Tell me how 20+ inches of rain is a threat after twenty feet of salt water is already over you?

I've seen 165......on a racebike 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

One thing people forget with all of these kinds of numbers is the power, stick you arm out of a car window at 75 mph and hold it out straight. 

True, very true but 75 mph on my four cylinder four carburetor six speed bike is more like it though!!  Seeing that pond rise up about six or eight feet to get to my patio, the fury of the first eyewall of a cat 1 then sunshine.... If I had a cellphone then in `89 the pics of the oncoming laterally moving clouds and rain was awe inspiring - the sound was scary.

13 hours ago, dtel said:

I would imagine you have to hold on tightly and duck as much of the wind as possible. 

Yes...getting out of the wind helps a lot, pretty much mandatory. It's fun, exhilarating, and humbling at the same time, especially when an "A" class Superbike blows by me like I was sitting still, even at those speeds.