What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

Rain and 60s and more rain here.

We haven't strung together even a week of below freezing here since the BIG Indian Ocean earthquake then Chile then Japan then Chile again all 9 + all within three years I think.

The north side of this house gets hit by direct sunshine in the morning for the first time ever since then.

Lived here off and on since 1966 and my best friends dad next door noticed it too. Seriously believe that the equator is in a different place now (Earth's axis is skewed) than the lat it is at on my globe from the 50s. My compass has been goofy & useless since then too.

I would love to get that half a foot of snow here, heck we were in heavy coats by this time of year normally until Easter but no more. My Meindel Perfekts from five years ago will last me the rest of my life `cause I gotta wear my summer boots almost year around now.

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Cold!  Some of the ponds in the area are already frozen over.  This is going to be a really long winter.  😒

your state does get a bit on the chilly side -- i’ve been there in the winter. worked on an ice breaking ship and pulled into duluth and two harbors a few times in the winter.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

worked on an ice breaking ship

That's kind of crazy for someone who is not happy about really cold weather. Working on an Icebreaker would put you in some unbelievable weather , it is fun to watch videos of those ships working while sitting in a warm house.

Were going to be in the mid 30's for a few nights, couldn't imagine being someplace that ponds are already starting to freeze. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's kind of crazy for someone who is not happy about really cold weather. Working on an Icebreaker would put you in some unbelievable weather , it is fun to watch videos of those ships working while sitting in a warm house.

well, i was 18 years old at the time, so i could handle many things much easier.  just looked up the winter that i worked the lakes and found that it was a record-breaker for ice coverage (this was from a 2014 article):

The shipping season usually gets into full swing with the opening of the Soo Locks at Sault Ste. Marie, which is scheduled for March 25.

While this year's ice coverage exceeds recent years, it's still a long way from the 94.7% in the winter of 1979, according to figures from Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich. The lab is operated by the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration.

• Like 2

Rain here with falling temps but I think I'm ready for it, aside for the neighbors leaves blowing my way.  Spent Tuesday in the garage movin stuff around getting the snow blower close to the garage door and next to my OLD Cub Cadet and big lawn sweeper.  Had to find a place for a 30" Toro twin-blade mower I bought at auction Saturday.  Don't ask me why either.  Have my Cub, my mom's Honda rider and now this contraption along with a myriad of other lawn stuff.  No way was I gonna NOT buy this $1100 mower for $50!  Spring is right around the corner.  Off it and buy more gear!   hahaha

• Like 2

Early winter here too, multiple days of snow already, plants are dead or dormant.  One day next week is forecast to have a high of -17 C (very close to 0 F).  Really nice.  But, not a problem like the folks in CA, I hope everyone there is ok.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Rain here with falling temps but I think I'm ready for it, aside for the neighbors leaves blowing my way.  Spent Tuesday in the garage movin stuff around getting the snow blower close to the garage door and next to my OLD Cub Cadet and big lawn sweeper.  Had to find a place for a 30" Toro twin-blade mower I bought at auction Saturday.  Don't ask me why either.  Have my Cub, my mom's Honda rider and now this contraption along with a myriad of other lawn stuff.  No way was I gonna NOT buy this $1100 mower for $50!  Spring is right around the corner.  Off it and buy more gear!   hahaha

Good deal on the mower! 👍

Forecasted high of 85 Degrees F here in the desert today. Hotter here today than the hottest summer day this year back north.

I can see the residue of snow ❄️ in my home cameras back in the GWN. I fully serviced my snowblower and parked it in the garage awaiting my return. My Canada 🇨🇦 Goose parka in the front closet.

Wb

• Like 3

@Wolfbane, I have an Eddie Bauer expedition coat from the late '80s.  I think it is ten pounds of down.  That's how I stay warm.  Actually, I've only worn it about 10 days it's just too hot.  Had to wear it in Ft. McMurray when it was -51 C.  Ouch.  GWN ... and it is snowing in Calgary as I write this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@Wolfbane, I have an Eddie Bauer expedition coat from the late '80s.  I think it is ten pounds of down.  That's how I stay warm.  Actually, I've only worn it about 10 days it's just too hot.  Had to wear it in Ft. McMurray when it was -51 C.  Ouch.  GWN ... and it is snowing in Calgary as I write this.

Look on the bright-side: Snowing means relatively warm if it’s not windy.❄️

Barbecuing Rib Steak here tonight for dinner. Where it’s still Damn 🥵!

Wb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i have a Chinese military Yak coat that weighs 10 pounds; but it is so warm. don’t think i’ll need it where i live now; but it came in handy at my last location. weather in the teens and not a single bit chilly to me. 

Chinese Military Yak? Must have got too old to carry ammunition to Hong Kong. Probably dispatched like George Patton did that donkey blocking ‘his bridge’ in Italy then added to cookie’s pot.

Wb

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wolfbane said:

Flew in on Sunday. My arms are still tired!🤡

Wb

hope you enjoy your stay.  Sometimes I make the mistake of looking up the weather in my old hometown ... I spent most of my life in Huntington Beach (if you don’t know that is south of Los Angeles).  Right this Minute it’s 70 and they had a high of 77. That place has incredible weather most of the year. 

• Like 3