What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm about where you are, just a piece east.  My 19 yr old civic wouldn't pop this morning.  Got the charger out but the way the (plastic) hood release feels trying to gently work it, it's going to be a while before I can try it.  Sucks.  Got two baby cranks outta the old girl, but it takes 3 or 4 to pop in this stuff.  Thought I'd get lucky.  So I suppose I have some time to read the forums right now.  This would be why there are garages (that shouldn't be full of stuff :)

48 minutes ago, grindstone said:

This would be why there are garages (that shouldn't be full of stuff :)

I hear you there.  We have a one car garage and my wife parks her Wrangler in there.  I get to park outside since my Grand Cherokee has auto start.  Lucky me.

Yeah, but it's a dry cold :) 

Nothing like the stillness & quiet and the sound of footfalls.  I'm sure it's all very funny to the Canadians, though.  "Those banana-belt guys think _that's_ cold!".  I'm pretty sure people who live in the Northwest Territories wouldn't much notice any difference. 

Tough to beat the air quality/asthma index we have going for us, though.  Be well--we can ride motorcycle in the 30's on Friday :)

Do you folks ever get used to that extreme cold?  I see photos of people at outdoor christmas events and it’s super-duper cold. Guys wearing baseball caps and what appear to be regular old coats instead of extreme cold foul-weather stuff.  

I once worked on an Ice-breaking ship.  When it hit 40, we were outside with short-sleeved shirts, but when it was 26 below -- we were real cold and didn’t want to be outside. So, is all a mental thing--this is what it is and i’m still going to go out and do stuff with my friends regardless of the weather?

• Like 1

@BigStewMan

Yea they practice ice skating and their hockey moves.

Sleet then snow then sleet again and highs in the twenties or lower we could build actual igloos here when I was a kid.

Sleet on top of snow up there with that cold might not take a zamboni to smooth things out for skating!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Do you folks ever get used to that extreme cold?  I see photos of people at outdoor christmas events and it’s super-duper cold. Guys wearing baseball caps and what appear to be regular old coats instead of extreme cold foul-weather stuff.  

I once worked on an Ice-breaking ship.  When it hit 40, we were outside with short-sleeved shirts, but when it was 26 below -- we were real cold and didn’t want to be outside. So, is all a mental thing--this is what it is and i’m still going to go out and do stuff with my friends regardless of the weather?

There's always some morons around here who wear shorts even in weather like this.  To me as long as there's no wind, even below zero temps don't feel that bad.  You just dress warm.  Once the wind picks up, though, it's hard to stay outside for more than a couple minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Yeah you get used to it for sure.  I lived in California and Arizona for ~30 years and while I was used to the CA heat, AZ was a new level and it took me about a year to really adapt.  It's been the same with the cold up here in the north; you adapt and learn to dress properly.  I will go outside in shorts when it's -26, but only to get the mail :D.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i heard there was some dude in Canada that was really into his favorite football team.  He wore shorts for 18 years until they won another championship (which they did just a few weeks ago).  I lived most of my life at the beach in SoCal and i rarely wear shorts. my attire 99% of the time is blue jean levis a t-shirt and sneakers.

34 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i heard there was some dude in Canada that was really into his favorite football team.  He wore shorts for 18 years until they won another championship (which they did just a few weeks ago).  I lived most of my life at the beach in SoCal and i rarely wear shorts. my attire 99% of the time is blue jean levis a t-shirt and sneakers.

Yeah. My home town. WooHoo.

I can dress for cold and colder but I can only undress so far for hot. Seems that sooner or later we are all prisoners to heating or air conditioning.

On the other hand I don't worry about earth quakes, hurricanes, tornado's, forest fires, tsunami's etc. I live on the largest chunk of granite on earth

(the Canadian Shield) so things are pretty solid. Also the best Walleye and Northern Pike (Muskie) fishing in NA both summer and winter (F**k Golf) never mind

the CC, VO and beer and the most hrs. of sunshine per year in Canada.

No, I don't like the cold but I sure hate the hot, muggy.

GO Bombers.

BB.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, NADman said:

No, I don't like the cold but I sure hate the hot, muggy.

as i get older, i’m liking the extreme temps less and less. I would rather deal with extreme cold than that stuff @dtel has to endure.  Hot & humid set my Asthma off like nobody’s business. I can handle hot & dry -- i lived many years in the desert.