What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

20 footers are paradise on the north shore of Oahu.  Of course they are tubular rollers, not cold as ice turbulent like the great lakes.  The real monsters are around twice that and you can feel the thunder as they crash.  In Texas we are going through a weekly cycle of warming, then cold and rainy, rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

20 footers are paradise on the north shore of Oahu.  Of course they are tubular rollers, not cold as ice turbulent like the great lakes.  The real monsters are around twice that and you can feel the thunder as they crash.  In Texas we are going through a weekly cycle of warming, then cold and rainy, rinse and repeat.

I've been to Hawaii a couple of times, but never had the privilege of watching those monster waves on the north shore. a bucket list item for me. isn't prime viewing during December?

• Like 2

Yes, winter time is when it happens.  It can be anytime usually from November through February, and it depends on storm systems from out in the Pacific stirring up the waves until they hit the shore.  It is quite an experience.  In the summer you can't believe how flat the water usually is out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Yes, winter time is when it happens.  It can be anytime usually from November through February, and it depends on storm systems from out in the Pacific stirring up the waves until they hit the shore.  It is quite an experience.  In the summer you can't believe how flat the water usually is out there.

one of the seasonal changes.

winter surf is north shore. Summer surf [hurricane season]  is from the south, generally

12 hours ago, grasshopper said:

it's all relative.  After -25`, +25` IS warm. No coat, a flannel shirt is fine

The average temperature at this time of year here on the Gulf Coast of central Florida is 74 degrees. If it ever dropped to -25 to +25, my wife and I would be in trouble. We do not have any cold weather attire. My warmest piece of clothing is my 'Kimber' hoodie. No gloves, no jackets, no boots, nothing at all for your kind of weather. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it's cold where you live.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Just a couple of hundred miles north of central Florida, I find use of winter gear essential. Norh Florida...

Currently 67 degrees here and where you are must be around 60, give or take a few. When my wife and I moved here fro north central PA, we basically left everything behind including the snow blowers, snow shovels and all our cold weather gear. I actually miss my old Carhartt insulated overalls. It probably took me ten years to break them in. I operated a coal fired fired power plant and there were washing machines available to use. I would bring those overalls in all the time and wash them non stop trying to soften them up. Maybe I should have put in some gravel during the heavy duty cycle.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, usnret70-90 said:

Currently 67 degrees here and where you are must be around 60, give or take a few. When my wife and I moved here fro north central PA, we basically left everything behind including the snow blowers, snow shovels and all our cold weather gear. I actually miss my old Carhartt insulated overalls. It probably took me ten years to break them in. I operated a coal fired fired power plant and there were washing machines available to use. I would bring those overalls in all the time and wash them non stop trying to soften them up. Maybe I should have put in some gravel during the heavy duty cycle.

That reminds me of my camo overalls that have had to use here for extreme events here. Yes, would have helped along with a lot of softener.

Yes down here snowblower is exterr Nexus...so far...lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billybob said:

Just a couple of hundred miles north of central Florida, I find use of winter gear essential. Norh Florida...

I have only had long pants on one time since moving here. Basically it's just shorts and t-shirt for me all year long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grasshopper said:

We get some cold snaps... most every night. Even in the summer, it is cool in the AM...always below 70`

ask for a snow shovel.  That will draw funny looks, even here.

For me, going to a local Publix store and seeing people wearing heavy winter clothing would be very strange. Not only that, you could get shot here if you walked into a business while wearing a balaclava. I loved mine while I was out snowblowing the driveway. Previous home had a 1300' long driveway and it went about straight up with two switch backs. I plowed it with a 750i Kawasaki 4 wheeler with chains and a 5' plow. Many times I thought my eyeballs had frozen solid!

• Like 3

I've already told the story of me blowing my nose, rustic style, in -25`, and having it swing up, hit my glasses and freeze into a little rainbow... I am familiar with cold weather. Choose to not subject myself to it.  If it weren't for the hurricane potential in FL, I would consider it.  We are not subject to big weather. Our bad weather is too much sun.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

On Kauai, only time I wore long pants [and shoes] was at work. Something about OSHA and working in/on machines... Shorts and an Aloha shirt to church

During my career in the Navy, I made several WestPac cruises aboard the carrier Ranger. Hawaii was my absolute favorite place to visit. I almost always stayed at the Ft Derussy Hotel in Honolulu. Drinks were very inexpensive there and I pounded down a lot before heading out into town. Thant was a long time ago and I don't even kknow if it's still there.

• Like 2