What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

Yesterday, Lytton, about an hour or two east of Vancouver in the BC Interior, set an all-time Canadian record temperature of 46.6C/115F, and most of Western Canada was sweltering under a heat dome.  It was hotter than I have ever seen it here, and the usual sea breeze wasn’t happening.  Unlike in Ontario, almost nobody has A/C here, because it rarely gets over 30C/90ishF, and usually only for a day or two.  I opened the windows overnight to cool the place, when it went down to the low 20sC/mid-70sF, then I closed the windows around 8 am, to try to keep the heat out.  I’m drinking lots of Gatorade.

I sure don’t hope this becomes a trend.  We still have July and August to go.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bluesboy said:

Where I'm working in Moses Lake Wa it's supposed to get up to 114 degrees today and 116 degrees tomorrow. Brutal record high temperatures.

You guys are under the same heat dome as us.  Is it setting record temperatures there, too, or do you sometimes get these kind of temps in a normal summer?

3 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Toasty again today... likely going to hit 37 in Victoria, but supposed to cool a bit tomorrow. We are all camped in our basement, including pets.

The idea behind the AC air is it's core body cooling effects via the lungs. Thanks for the update...

It's been absurdly hot here in Portland. We set a new all time temperature record on Saturday with 108 degrees. Then we set a new, new record yesterday with 111. Today, we are expected to set a new, new, new record with somewhere between 113 and 116 degrees.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

110 degrees yesterday.  Deck thermometer (in the shade) topped out. 

The cat is flat on the cool tile floor.

No sign of fires, yet.

At least record temperatures are not due to climate change, we are assured.

We moved about 600 miles to the north for many, many reasons.  One was to outrun global warming.  Well, scratch that one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That is hotter than North Central Texas.  Still seriously considering living on the island though Pat.

I’m glad to hear that.  The South Island still has the best weather in the country, IMHO anyway.  Toronto gets a couple of weeks of this every year in late July-early August, and it is way more humid there.  I’ve got no A/C in my place, and it’s 34C in here.  I’m sitting shirtless on the sofa, towel in place behind me, with my old 2’x2’ box fan leaning back, a little in front of the centre Belle Klipsch, and it’s at least helping my sweat evaporate a bit more quickly.

That fan is so old that its colour is Avocado Green.  It was designed to make it easy to put it in a window, to push out warm air or pull in cool air.  I may move it to the sunroom sliding door, with some Styrofoam to fill the gap above it, between the sliding door and the doorframe.  If it’s set to push out the hot air,  cool air will be pulled in from the shaded north side of the apartment.  That works from about 10 pm until 8 am, while the outside air cools down to to the low 20sC/70sF.

Sure, it’s hot and sticky at the moment, but it’s supposed to be cooler by Wednesday.

So when are you heading over?  MC39693 is already here.  I’m looking forward to having some listening parties when the heat wave is over and the pandemic ends.

• Like 1

Just now, garyrc said:

110 degrees yesterday.  Deck thermometer (in the shade) topped out.  The cat is flat on the cool tile floor.

Sometimes cats like to chill out in hot weather by lying in the bathtub.  They’re skilled in finding warm spots and cool spots when they need them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Toasty again today... likely going to hit 37 in Victoria, but supposed to cool a bit tomorrow. We are all camped in our basement, including pets.

When it got hot and sticky in Toronto, the upper floor of 2-storey houses, or the main floor of bungalows, would be barely tolerable, so we’d go one floor lower than usual to sleep.  I had a 2-storey house, so I’d put a sheet on the sofa downstairs and sleep there.

In my twenties I was renting a house and sharing with some other guys.  One guy was from Atlanta (there were quite a few draft-age American dudes living in TO in that era), and he couldn’t handle the heat in Toronto.  He was a slim guy, so shouldn’t have suffered much from the heat, but he told us that pretty near everywhere in Atlanta is air conditioned, even the buses.  He could barely stand being in the house during the annual 2-3-week sweaty heat wave, so he’d go hang out at the nearby air conditioned shopping mall whenever he could.  The rest of us in the house were surprised.

8 hours ago, Islander said:

You guys are under the same heat dome as us.  Is it setting record temperatures there, too, or do you sometimes get these kind of temps in a normal summer?

These are record temperatures. It can get into the 100s around here in the summer but never this hot.

• Like 1

At least we have the nearby ocean to moderate things a bit.  Here on the Island, temperatures are quite a bit higher when you get toward the interior, away from the water.  The harbours are the coolest locations.

5 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Wife says we are moving to Alaska. Victoria was nice while it lasted.

Well, these temps would have been “once in a century heat”, but now, who knows?  However, I just got back from picking up groceries at the Save-On Foods store three blocks away, and on the way back I stopped by the Odeon to see what was playing.  There’s a new Guy Ritchie film starring Jason Statham, so I’ll have to catch that.  It’s called Wrath of Man.

Anyway, the city had cooled down a bit by 10:15 pm, and everyone was walking around in lightweight clothes, and the sidewalk patios were full.  I met a neighbour in the lobby of my building while picking up my mail, and he commented that it seemed like a Friday night.  I had to agree.  The midday heat might be oppressive, but the warm late evenings are just fine.  Usually, sitting in an outdoor restaurant patio can be chilly here, even in midsummer, unless the restaurant has those standing heaters.  This feels pretty good.  I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

Maybe you could take your wife out for a late dinner, when the heat has dipped into the comfortable zone.  It could give you a different impression of the city.

Chicago;  ..........Hotter than Miami in Summer,  colder than Anchorage in the Winter

Freezes and frost up til mid May

Then 30 hot dry days with significant rain shortage, grass dormant and brown in many places

3 days went from running heat to running AC, than back to heat for a week.

3rd Week in June, non stop thunderstorms and flood warnings for a week, 80%+ humidity

All of the plants are growing like crazy,  corn and soy up a foot in 2 weeks or less

I keep waiting for baseball sized hail,    must be in the program somewhere

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1