What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

2 minutes ago, Kidd said:

In  Arizona ,  95% of the rain does not make to the ground , evaporates  before  hitting .

We are in monsoon  season , soon the rains will start and cool the deserts , then the deserts will green up for a while 

Where I live , it was   68 degrees  this morning 

In Phoenix , 89 degrees  this morning  reaching a high if 114 degrees today , I'd hate to work outside in that heat 

Watching the rain evaporate halfway down while at the top of South Mountain was always fascinating to me.  I miss living in AZ sometimes.

1 hour ago, polizzio said:

We are safe. Boucoup rain, three full days of it off and on. I recorded 3.2" @ my house (three day collection), which is pretty low considering. I'm sure some areas saw 6+ inches collectively. This morning since sunrise is the first four + hours of zero rain @ my residence. Our local Lake Ponchartrain rose three feet from the storm surge itself. Lots of street flooding in some areas.

I have not heard a single death reported on the local tv news in southern Louisiana attributed to Hurricane Barry, which is great news. Thankfully Barry barely made hurricane status/intensity before making landfall. 

Lake Ponchartrain surge trend/live level reading:  https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lix&gage=mdll1

I'll be driving through Louisiana on I-10 and I-12 around supper time today.  I haven't seen any closures as of yet.  Hopefully more of the bands will be gone by then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll be driving through Louisiana on I-10 and I-12 around supper time today.  I haven't seen any closures as of yet.  Hopefully more of the bands will be gone by then.

I think you'll be fine. I just checked the LA interstate system for closures in south LA.........nada. The center of the Barry remnant is near Little Rock, AR now. 

I-10/12 closures: https://www.511la.org/

1 hour ago, Kidd said:

In  Arizona ,  95% of the rain does not make to the ground , evaporates  before  hitting .

We are in monsoon  season , soon the rains will start and cool the deserts , then the deserts will green up for a while 

In Phoenix , 89 degrees  this morning  reaching a high if 114 degrees today , I'd hate to work outside in that heat 

we got some yesterday

topped out around 102`, then rained.  I think it made it back to 80` before the sun went down ... and it cooled off for the evening.

104 on the southside after lunchtime and though I don't trust the post 80s thermometer we have, two sites at weatherunderground nearby had 102 listed two hours later.

So it's sunny, muggy and hot like summer around here today.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

+1

threatening rain. it is the monsoon....

see it!

feel it?

I remember a whole year without rain here once, with one hell of a heatwave >95 for three months >100 for a week and a half. I think it was `86. I watered the trees and bushes slowly... lawn got burned up. We'd have dark cloudy days with lightning and thunder sometimes but not a speck of rain for over a year that time.

• Like 1

I remember some lean years. Once, the mesquites got leaves and flowers, then dropped everything. Took care of business and went dormant ...in July

I have to wonder what constitutes drought in a desert? That's kinda the definition of desert.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

is there a such thing as weather or is that just something that the media wants us to believe?

The media wouldn’t over-dramatize would it?

Only 86 here today but 98 this weekend  with heat indices over110. Do you southerners have heat index ratings,  or you just deal with the actual temp?

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Do you southerners have heat index ratings,  or you just deal with the actual temp?

Yes they have it but I just go by temp, when they say 95 degrees it's hot it feels no different if they call it 125. 

The bad part is 95 or anything around it is one thing, walk out into the sun where they do not measure and see how it feels.:sad:

Instead of they sissy heat index thing, why not use out in the sun temperatures, it would be much more accurate as to how it feels outside. The "heat index" is not going to burn your hand if you leave it on the hood of your car.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, Kidd said:

Ahh, Sedona, I miss home! Here in Silverton CO, it was 46 this morning, on the way to 70.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Heat index is purely a function of humidity, and it is real.  99f plus 30% humidity is not that bad, 99f plus 70% humidity is miserable.

True but when your humidity is always high except for after a cold front the index makes little difference for our summers. We normally don't get as many high pressure systems over us as much as in Texas, hot and dry. It seems like Texas has high pressure systems alot in the summer and temps can easily get to 100 for weeks at times,  with no rain of clouds.   

But your right humidity can make all the difference, also in really cold weather humidity makes a real difference with how cold it feels. Sometime a cold front will pass through and it feels much better but the temp stayed the same just the humidity dropped. 

• Like 1

Well i just finished push mowing the lawn, weed eating, and blow clean. It was 90F and 82% humidity and it kicked my butt hard. The grass/ground is still wet/soggy from Hurricane Barry rainfall. Threatening to rain again right now, thunder as I type and heavy clouds.

But its done, thankfully.

• Like 1