What's the weather like where you're at?

wuzzzer

• Moderators

Snow, wow, we have been between 81-89 all week, warmer than normal. We need a little more cool before summer, already planted a few vegetable plants in the garden. 

Charleston is looking good.

• Thanks 1

Well. it has been overcast all day today here, with a few sprinkles and such...yesterday was sunny and clear most of the day...but SATURDAY AFTERNOON, was pretty wild here in Jonesboro, Arkansas beginning around 5 PM!  I was not at home at that time since I had to leave to get a filled prescription about a half-hour earlier, which actually ended up being MUCH MORE dangerous than staying home!

Here is the gist of what happened right after I picked up my prescription:

No chit, there I was: This afternoon, I had just walked outta the Walmart on Highland Avenue in Jonesboro, AR with a prescription re-fill in my hand, when the dang sirens went off all over town, and everybody went running into the store...Since I was already at my car, I looked up into the sky and saw no reason not to get the hell outta that parking lot and go down to the defunct Sears store empty parking lot about a block away so that I had a better view of the sky off in the distance. I needed to see what was coming and find a way to avoid it, SO...So I parked where I had the best view, and lo and behold there was this huge funnel cloud not yet touching the ground but kinda heading towards me...so I thought for a half second..."which way do I have to go to keep from being hit by this monstrosity?"

Well, the way it was travelling as it got closer indicated that it would BARELY miss me, but I could always drive around to the other side of the abandoned Sears store and hunker down, if need be. So, I took a sip of my coffee, pulled out my cell phone and thought to myself:  "How the hell can I take a video with this thing?" So, LUCKILY I figured that out pretty quickly and took a video just long enough to know that I had better get over to the other side of the building pretty damned fast...which I did. Once I figure out how to get that video outta my cell phone, I will add it to this post. But here is the gist of it all:

There was this really big swirling funnel, but it had still not reached the ground, BUT it spawned two smaller funnels relatively close together, one of which DID touch down and created lots of damage about three blocks away from me as the crow flies. I also got to the other side of the building in time to catch the main funnel as it went by ON THE GROUIND in a second video which I will ALSO put heret....along with another video of just SOME of the damage done by it which I saw as I headed home! 

The tornado, as it wound through far eastern side of Jonesboro caused lots of damage, to include hitting the mall, the airport and many other places including some residential areas on this side of town, Once the tornado went thru the area I was at, I decided not to attempt to go home for awhile so that all the needed emergency vehicles would NOT have me in their way...so I pulled into the Texas Roadhouse steak joint (a stone's throw from where I rode out the storm) and just calmed down for awhile before finally heading home to the apartment, which I figured had not been hit, and it wasn't hit! Praise God for that, and Lord, please do what you can for whomever is injured by this weather during an already trying time for us! If you live in Arkansas, it is likely that you will at least see a tornado at one time or another! It is what it is!😔 Happy to be alive right now, but worried about all of those adversely affected!

I have the videos I took of it on my low-tech flip phone, but have not yet figured out how to get them onto my laptop...still working on that...both video files are too large to Bluetooth and will need to be edited while on the phone.

The best way to really understand Saturday's e3xcitement in town here is in the video below, which is from a local TV affiliate here in town:

• Sad 3

• Moderators

You got lucky, at least you were out of the store, inside you would have had no idea if were heading that way or not. 

She told me when you called you could hear sirens on the phone as you were talking. 

It is amazing they say no one was hurt, you can see more pictures in the news story. 

https://heavy.com/news/2020/03/jonesboro-tornado-arkansas-damage-video-photos/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dtel said:

She told me when you called you could hear sirens on the phone as you were talking. 

It is amazing they say no one was hurt, you can see more pictures in the news story.

Those sirens were the emergency response vehicles running to where the damage started and such.

The ONLY reported injuries (no deaths!!) wee 6 minor ones...all day Sunday people were out as volunteers cleaning things up...many were out today, too!

Once that initial rope funnel touched down, in under a minute the entire thing started to join it...within another minute or so it was HUGE!

Without the current "stay at home" COVID-19 rules in effect, it would have been a total disaster in most  places the tornado hit...5PM on Saturdays NORMALLY has massive amounts of traffic on the main roads and all the restaurants are getting filled to capacity.  Luckily the restaurants it destroyed were unoccupied...as was almost all of the mall!  This is the first case I know of where the virus epidemic likely actually SAVED LIVES!.  Almost no traffic, restaurants closed...mall all but empty, college had shut down and no college kids in town to speak of, etc.!  Something kinda interesting is this sign which was damaged as the tornado blew past the Goodwill store about a block or so off of the funnel route. Pic was taken just after dark on Saturday.

Read into it what you want, but it sure got MY attention!   And thee was something else that got my attention, too!  Both of these were on the same street within three blocks of where the tornado originally touched down...Caraway Road!  Second pic was taken Sunday morning!  Both could easily be seen while driving along Caraway Road, too!  Actually...they were just too hard NOT to see!

922501623_Interestingreminderhere(2).thumb.jpg.3ce909091f88513985cd29a9269e8cf4.jpg

God Will (2).jpg

• Like 2

It was 73 degrees outside and 75 inside this morning at 0530. Put the pool vac in, "Charlie" is his name, set him for two hours and then came in for a nice cup of Joe. Our very good weather people are calling for a high of 90 again. At 3:00pm it will be martini time and a nice dip in the water.

When I got up this morning at 0530 the temperature outside was 61 degrees. I thought I was still asleep and dreaming. I opened up the house and let the breeze flow from one end to the other and within a few minutes, the inside  temperature was down to 67. So, this is what winter weather feels like, huh? I might have to put a shirt on today.

DSCN1130 (4).JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

76 is a great temp to have if you're going to be busy working around the house. Yesterday I cut the lawn, weed whacked, edged and used the blower on the walks and driveway. A very nice looking lawn, except for the front. That really needs some attention.I will be ordering new sod sometime this week.

• Like 2