Cornwall III or Forte III, help me choose

rich121

First post.

Anyways, I am interested in purchasing a new pair of Klipsch speakers, either Cornwall III or Forte III and would suggestions/advice from those familiar with the speakers and what works best for room size.

My room is 17' wide, 23' long and 8' ceiling.

My current system to be used with these speakers:

Turntable:                 Technics SL1000 MKIII with Fidelity Research FR64S arm, SoundSmith Sussurro MKII cartridge

SACD/CD player:      Sony 5400ES

Amplifiers:                Quicksilver V4" mono tube amps (new 170 watt version, uses KT150 tubes)
Pre-Amp:                   Zesto Leto 1.5 tube pre-amp
Phono stage:           Zesto Andros 1.2 tube phono stage
Subwoofers:            Pair of JL Audio Fathom F113's  (2500 watts each)

Thank you!

Rick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

La Scala II

=== yep, I think they stole the show in the Hope listening room. (KHorns aside) And I think the CW3 were easily the equal to the F3.

The little Heresy3 played Way above its pay grade by its lonesome and with a fast sub will surprise lots of people — 

I've heard BOTH F3's and CW3's in the same setup and day.  ..To my ears, the CW3s are more dynamic, extend deeper and sound  more open even a lower volumes.   Though I could have been happy w/ F3s, it was a very easy decision.  ..I bought the CW3's and have zero regrets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I've heard BOTH F3's and CW3's in the same setup and day

Funny how different ears hear different things.  I preferred the F3's over the CW3's.  The mids were much more open and less shouty.  I guess the moral of the story is to find each and listen for yourself.  The pilgrimage in Hope is a great place for that to happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Funny how different ears hear different things.  I preferred the F3's over the CW3's.  The mids were much more open and less shouty.  I guess the moral of the story is to find each and listen for yourself.  The pilgrimage in Hope is a great place for that to happen.

Or really anywhere where you can hear each side-by-side, with your own music and in fairly quick succession.  Which is exactly what I was able to do.

Here's a video of someone comparing the two.  ..For what it's worth.

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

This is my opinion, not worth much, but here goes.

With two JL Audio subs, I would go with the Forte III. The midrange should be more open and refined with the larger horn.

And nice system, BTW.

Shakey

My thoughts also.

Bill

25 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Or really anywhere where you can hear each side-by-side, with your own music and in fairly quick succession.  Which is exactly what I was able to do.

Here's a video of someone comparing the two.  ..For what it's worth.

Not a real comparison, 2 different speakers with different needs in two different areas of the room. About as useless of a comparison as you could get.

Until you get either in your room setup with your gear its a coin toss.

For me, the listening room in Hope was a great place to compare speakers.  The most interesting and telling thing about the whole experience was the fact that everyone heard the same thing and yet different people had different favorites.  No one on this, or any other forum, can tell the OP what will sound best to his ears.  He'll have to decide for himself.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I agree with the above statement. I heard both in the same room, side by side, same equipment. I preferred the Forte III.  However, I may be biased, as I preferred the sound that was closer to what I have been listening to for the past 14 years. La Scala II was overall the clear winner of the day though. I suggest keeping an open mind on them.  I just don't have the space requirements.  I'm sticking with Chorus II.

• Moderators

We have both, different rooms different electronics.

But even in the same room, I wouldn't give an answer as to which ones to get. To me, they are two different sounds and no way to know how they would sound in your room or which you would like better. Sorry but it's the truth, but I will say you won't go wrong with either. Especially in a room 17 x 23, it's big enough to let them breath a little, either will completely fill your room.

The Cornwall with a more fuller bass and the Forte with less bass but tighter overall. What do you prefer, what kind of music do you like ?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Well thanks, it's really hard to explain differences especially when other things can affect the sound. They both sound good but different.

I wanted to say something about the midrange but to be honest they have not been in the same room since the Forte lll's got here. I would hate to say something misleading especially when someone is looking to buy one or the other so I try to keep it really general.

I think if I had more width available in my room, I may have preferred the Forte IIIs WITH SUBS. Without, Cornwall IIIs all day long. Same room indeed, MY room, preferences and electronics.   The Cornwalls were the low volume kings.  The lowest of volumes in fact.   Can't say the same about the Forte IIIs... I still liked them, don't get me wrong.  Foudn their positioning a PITA and the need to be fired straight ahead in my room and careful positioning from back wall.  Cornwalls?  Guess what?  Stuff them in the corner and enjoy.  

• Moderators

I could see all of that being true, we have the Cornwall lll's in the bedroom so it's almost always used at low volume, since they got moved in there they barely get used to tell truth, sad in know.

The Forte lll's are used for HT mains so to me it's impossible to compare for stereo with Ht electronics, I have heard them for 2 ch but not here. We use a different 2 ch in the same room as the Forte's completely different electronics that is not swappable.