Multimeters and which one you use

mopardave

20 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I use a Fluke 112 and have for years.  Kind of a middle model for them and will also read capacitance.

I bought a Fluke 117 which is supposed to be better and also reads capacitance. Compared to a B&K 885 it is not accurate and by the time you get up to say 20uf has problems. No ESR measuring either so rely on these Flukes for a general idea but not an accurate idea of capacitance. That has been my experience with the two side by side on my workbench regarding capacitance. Otherwise Fluke seems to be dead on.

Klein and Amprobe make multimeters with good reputations but Fluke is the most common from what I see the pro's use around here. I have had cheapo's before and I got what I paid for and the Radio Shack one was half the price of the Fluke 117 so it was not free either. Cheap flimsy garbage compared to the Fluke though and died pretty quickly. I like tools that work right and are durable.

• Like 1

I only use a digital multimeter to check bias on my tube amp. I've had a twenty something dollar Craftsman for probably 8-9 years with no problems.

I bought a Fluke 15b a few months ago. Works great. When I first started using it I would always double check it with the cheap Craftsman. They always check out exactly the same......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SWL said:

I only use a digital multimeter to check bias on my tube amp. I've had a twenty something dollar Craftsman for probably 8-9 years with no problems.

I've had a cheapo at home and at work for years that get constant use.  I only use ac volts, dc volts, Ohms and amp settings though.  Never had an issue other than changing the occasional battery.  They can not check capacitance though.

We have discussion about multimeters often at work.  Some swear by Flukes as they feel they don't have to "0" them as often.  I was always taught to "0" my multimeter regardless.  So if you don't want to have double check I guess spend the money on the Fluke.  I have a CAT brand (who actually makes it is beyond me), but I get the same results as the techs with Flukes do,  just need to "0" it before each use.

I also use a $20.00 Craftsman that I bought for $10 around Christmas that is just as accurate as the CAT.   Bot read Capacitance, my CAT reads Hertz, and temp.  

Instrument techs in our refinery business everywhere I audited (all of Canada) only use Fluke.  Son in law gave me (loan?) a Fluke 87 V.  Seems to work fine for what I need.  Any meter can "wander" so testing against a known value is a good idea if you want accuracy.

I've had a Fluke 77 for over 25 years. It won't do capacitance or freq., but has always worked. They have tons more models these days. Also used an 87 at an early job...

A lot ot the cheap other brands are as accurate but usually won't hold up as well. I used my Fluke for my work and felt it was worth the expense.

Bruce

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

I've had a Fluke 77 for over 25 years. It won't do capacitance or freq., but has always worked. They have tons more models these days. Also used an 87 at an early job...

A lot ot the cheap other brands are as accurate but usually won't hold up as well. I used my Fluke for my work and felt it was worth the expense.

Bruce

I changed my mind on the fluke $45 unit and ordered the Klein Tools meter from Amazon.   Thanks guys

51 minutes ago, windashine said:

I've had a Sperry DM-4100A for about 5 year's... I got it because the Electrican's at work used that kind...

762 Woofer Read Oct 22 2018.JPG

I really wanted a auto ranging meter that may be a bit more accurate than my sears and harbor freight meters.

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

Bruce

Yes better tools last longer and resist accidents better.

I received the Klein multimeter yesterday.  Not sure I like this meter either.  small digits and reads way lower than my other 2 meters(sears, harbor freight) by .300ma.  The other 2 read the same.  set bias at .360ma with Klein meter and check with the HF meter it reads .390ma.   Not sure which to believe.   

24 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I received the Klein multimeter yesterday.  Not sure I like this meter either.  small digits and reads way lower than my other 2 meters(sears, harbor freight) by .300ma.  The other 2 read the same.  set bias at .360ma with Klein meter and check with the HF meter it reads .390ma.   Not sure which to believe.   

Should have bought ONE Fluke instead of 3 off brand ones.

• Haha 1