Thinking about swapping some speakers around in my systems...RF-7 III and Forte I

adam2434

I’ve been thinking about doing some speaker rearranging in my systems.  Please note the systems in my sig.

I’m considering moving the RF-7 III from System 3 (2.0) to System 1 (5.1), and picking up a RC-64 III.

I would then move the Forte I in System 2 or the Polk LS90 in System 1 into System 3.  System 3 would remain 2.0.

System 3 is in a large, open area that consists of a family room, informal dining area, and kitchen – around 18’ x 50’ and open to other rooms.

So, the question is whether the Forte I will struggle vs. the RF-7 III in this space, especially in terms of bass output in 2.0?

I like to push the volume at times with the RF-7 III, and feel like they really maintain their composure while putting out very satisfying bass in 2.0 in this large area.  My gut tells me that the Forte I, with less woofer cone area, may not be able to achieve the same bass impact in this area.

Thoughts?

On 1/31/2019 at 7:44 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Forte 1 has more of a "loose" bass in comparison, whereas the bass on the Forte III is much quicker, tighter and punchier

Interesting, I have never heard Forte III, but I would not describe my Forte I as having "loose" bass.  Again, I have no comparison to the Forte III though.

However, I have never listened to my Forte I in a "normal" room/placement.  They are in the large, unfinished section of our basement, and are on risers to get the tweeters near ear level while standing (which I know reduces bass output).  I have used them in 2.0 and 2.1 (bass managed at 80 Hz) in this system (System 2 in my sig).

If it was not such a pain to move and place the RF-7 III, I would just move them out of System 3 and try the Forte I there.  However, sounds like the Forte I would would give up some bass performance to the RF-7 III in 2.0.

Just now, adam2434 said:

Interesting, I have never heard Forte III, but I would not describe my Forte I as having "loose" bass.  Again, I have no comparison to the Forte III though.

When asked to provide a comparison between the two, I did so.   If you hear both I think you would agree.   The woofers on the Forte IIIs are quite stiff.   Those on Forte 1s move very easily in and out (tested by hand gently when buying to test for air leaks) .   I have no complaints about the bass on Forte 1s. 

Not doubting your observation, just find it interesting that the Forte I and Forte III would have significantly different bass.

I think I just need to bite the bullet and try the Forte I in System 3.  If they sound good and have adequate bass in this large, open family room, I will really consider moving the RF-7 III to the finished basement room 5.1 system (and purchase the RC-64 III).  So, the net would hopefully be an upgrade to the 5.1 system (System 1), without a downgrade to System 3.

You have the luxury of having all the pieces to the puzzle on hand, with the exception of the centre. Sounds like a bit of work but swapping things around will clearly show how the speakers respond in the actual rooms. Specs and such are great but the room factor is larger than many initially consider. I haven’t heard the new Fortes but they really appeal to me. I have heard the 7s and they are magnificent IMO.

6 hours ago, adam2434 said:

However, I have never listened to my Forte I in a "normal" room/placement.  They are in the large, unfinished section of our basement, and are on risers to get the tweeters near ear level while standing (which I know reduces bass output).

... However, sounds like the Forte I would would give up some bass performance to the RF-7 III in 2.0.

Off the floor to get the tweeters at ear level while standing?  Effectively both diminishing bass and augmenting the highs.  If you think they sound okay like that I don't know why you wouldn't like them better when set up better.

I watched/listened-to "youthman"'s youtube video comparing the RF-7 II to the Forte III and it cemented my desire for the Forte III.  The RF-7 definitely had "punchier" bass but it also had too-bright highs with a depression in the midrange, at least the way he recorded them playing.  The RF-7s he was using spec a tad louder for the same input but without knowing whether he (especially accurately!) adjusted levels for the comparison, it's hard to say really whether the RFs had more prominent bass/highs than the Fortes or merely a more-depressed midrange.  Been there done that on picking something that sounded a little more spectacular than something else, only to come to regret it long-term.

Let us know what you think about the comparison in your place.  All four cabinets are only ~70 lb. each.  Shouldn't really be too much trouble to move them around the house if you're physically capable; especially if you've got a capable helper available.

1 hour ago, glens said:

Off the floor to get the tweeters at ear level while standing?  Effectively both diminishing bass and augmenting the highs.  If you think they sound okay like that I don't know why you wouldn't like them better when set up better.

I watched/listened-to "youthman"'s youtube video comparing the RF-7 II to the Forte III and it cemented my desire for the Forte III.  The RF-7 definitely had "punchier" bass but it also had too-bright highs with a depression in the midrange, at least the way he recorded them playing.  The RF-7s he was using spec a tad louder for the same input but without knowing whether he (especially accurately!) adjusted levels for the comparison, it's hard to say really whether the RFs had more prominent bass/highs than the Fortes or merely a more-depressed midrange.  Been there done that on picking something that sounded a little more spectacular than something else, only to come to regret it long-term.

Let us know what you think about the comparison in your place.  All four cabinets are only ~70 lb. each.  Shouldn't really be too much trouble to move them around the house if you're physically capable; especially if you've got a capable helper available.

Yeah, the Forte I are on risers in the unfinished portion of our basement.  I'm standing most of the time in this area, which is mainly the home gym and workshop area.  Also, they are raised to clear some utility and storage stuff in this area.  I use them in a 2.1 configuration now, with dual subs.  I also use this system to evaluate other speakers (bookshelf speakers sitting on top of the Forte 1) in 2.1.  This system is a bit of a "test rig" I've used to play with dozens of speakers over the years.

I previously had RF-7 II where the RF-7 III now reside (first floor open concept area).  The RF-7 II were a bit bright.  The RF-7 III are more balanced, IMO.  I don't feel the RF-7 III have a depressed midrange at all.  I really like the RF-7 III, which is why I'm considering moving them down to the 5.1 system in the finished portion of the basement, where I feel they would get more use.

The RF-7 III are closer to 100 lb. each, but moving them is not a problem.  I'm a pretty big guy with an able-bodied 17 year old son for back-up (😊).  It's the fine-tuning of position that is a pain with the RF-7 III on carpet.  I will remove the spikes for this the next time I move them.

I'm pretty curious about how the Forte I will sound where the RF-7 III reside.  I need to make some time to do this, as trying this will be the only way to know how I feel about the Forte I in this room vs. the RF-7 III.

I realize this thread is probably a bit confusing because it involves swapping speakers in 3 separate systems, but ultimately it's about the comparison of the currently-residing RF-7 III vs. moving the Forte I into this location.

Just had a humorous thought while reading your reply (before your "big guy" statement, but that may be relative, too).  Ear height, when I first think of it, is nearly 6', but a 6" riser might make "ear high" for some, and that wouldn't diminish bass nearly as much :)

Stop by your local hardware store and pick up a package of those plastic sliders for moving furniture.  You'll be able to leave the spikes in place and merely rock the speakers gently to remove the sliders once you've got them located just right.