Line Level Outputs On An Integrated Amp

Peter P.

Does your sub have a gain control on it?  If so, does it have enough volume range to allow you to balance the sub with the regular speakers?  

I don't know whether it's normal in an integrated amp.  How old is it?  The older integrated amps were not set up for subs.  I don't know about the modern ones, but many 2 channel folk add a sub, so they do it somehow.   Is your integrated one made especially for AV?  Most home theaters use either an AVR (audio visual receiver), or a pre-pro (preamp processor) AKA an AVP, with a separate multichannel power amp. 

What brand and model is your integrated amp, and what brand and model is your sub?

My  integrated amp is a Yamaha A-520. They are definitely pre-amp ins/outs because they're labeled as such.

It's just an audio amp, 32 years old as of this month!

The subwoofer is an SVS SB-1000 and it has a gain control, but if the input signal doesn't follow the amp's volume control, the subwoofer's output  is pegged at one level and one level only.

Right now it appears I have to use the speaker level inputs. My plan is to run the amp's "B" channel speaker outputs into the sub. SVS confirmed that will work.

What WON'T work is the high pass crossover, as there's no high pass crossover on the speaker connections. I was hoping to run my Heresy's in all their full-range glory and have the sub fill in the rest. Instead, I'll probably buy an outboard 12dB high pass filter and connect it to the Heresy's speaker terminals. The lowest filter I can get is 80Hz so I'll work with that :-( .

I fetched a copy of the user's manual and it appears there are no pre-outs on that unit.  There are two tape loops available and an "accessory send/receive" with jumpers that allow you to insert a signal processor (or whatever) "prior to the tone controls."  However in the service manual block diagram, it shows the tone controls functioning within the amplifier feedback loop and the "accessory" jumper appears between the input selection and mode switch, followed in order by loudness, balance, and volume.  The only outputs available after the volume control in the flow of things are the speakers and headphone jack.

Why not just run the Heresy's full-range and start with the lowest setting (50 Hz) on the sub using the high-level inputs?  I'd bet you won't be too far off. 

9 hours ago, glens said:

Why not just run the Heresy's full-range and start with the lowest setting (50 Hz) on the sub using the high-level inputs?  I'd bet you won't be too far off. 

Right now, that's my plan- to connect the sub to my Channel B speaker outputs while the Heresy's run full range on Channel A.

I will run the Heresy's full-range, but I was hoping to use the high-pass line level outputs on the sub to alleviate  having the Heresy's trying to reproduce anything below their 3dB limit of 50Hz. I'm going to fabricate some simple, 6dB/octave high pass filters tomorrow for the Heresy's. I wanted to make 2nd Order high pass filters but I can't find inductors of the right size and value, so First Order will have to do.