Dinky DIY subs for computer or small powered monitors

rockhound

I bought a couple sets of Klipsch powered monitors and have been thinking of building a small sub to hide in a corner for m y PC setup. I ran across this thread while cruising the interwebs. Has anyone built one of these or some other "dinky sub" for computer duty??

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/58008-voxel-a-mini-sub

As I thought, it’s languishing unused in my son’s basement.  I plan to go there tomorrow to hook up his Anarchy Exodus TH sub.  You know about those.  I’ll grab the Voxel and bring it back.

Send a PM and we can exchange contact info.

203BFE43-5405-4868-A782-01C7A31D47B5.jpeg

More photos.  As you can see, it's unfinished.  It's composed of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood and Bondo.  It functions, but it’s not ready for paint.  The plan was to cover it in black Duratex.  Do you have the corresponding SpeakOn connector?

IMG_0700 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0701 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0702 (Medium).JPG

If I were building another one of these, I’d build something along the lines of the one linked below.  You’ll see what I had to do for the port to clear the driver.  Feel free to post photos of my workaround.  You can’t hurt my feelings.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/67644-sa70-where-do-i-go-from-here/page2

The other one I built was more like the above link.  A Dayton 70 watt plate amp was built in.  The enclosure volume was increased to allow for the volume taken up by the amp.  On this one, I was focused on “dinky,” probably to a fault.

Have fun and share your results.

• 5 months later...

Update - Ok I finally got around to getting everything together and hooked this lil sucker up. I'm pairing this with a small Lepai amp that the designer of this sub recommended. I first had this paired with a set of R-15PM's and it sounded very, very nice in a near field computer setup. I had the lil amp bridged and it really pounded for what it is. My son is taking those 15PM's to Phoenix so I hooked up my MICCA RB42's. Since the MICCA's are not powered I'm using the lil Lepai amp to run them AND the sub. I could not be happier with this setup, it is really surprising what this lil sub can do, it takes up very lil space the amp is cheap and it REALLY gets down. So if you need a lil cost effective PC sub action build you one of these.

Thanks to Neil AKA @DizRotus for sending this to me for the cost of shipping.

Plans are in the first post and you can buy the amp at PE
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-168ha-21-2x40w-mini-amplifier-1x68w-sub-output--310-308

P.S. the lil MICCA RB's are real overachievers BTW.