Why music started sucking, it's science......

Fish

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hi Claude,

OK so where does one discover the music? I don't get radio at all where I live so how do I find new good music?

If you carry around one of those small dinguses with a 5MM speaker in it I believe it is inside there.

JJK

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

My previous post was meant to be sarcastic.

The person in the video is biased and prejudiced towards what he calls modern music. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Conversely, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder too.To my 80 year old mother, all rock music sounds the same, from Pink Floyd over ACDC to Bon Jovi and Metallica. In the video, a similar generalisation towards 'modern music' is proposed.

The guy in the video obviously doesn't like 'modern music' - btw, is that a new genre?

To build his argumentation, he uses un-referenced pseudo-science of Spanish origin (!)...

By doing that, he ignores all the wonderful music, uncompressed music that some young talent produces every day of the week, anno 2019.

He prefers to live in the past and he tries to convince us we should do the same.

Also, he ignores the fact that most of his 'old' music was recorded and played back on terribly sounding gear: bad microphones, bad amps, bad radios (compared to contemporary technology). Most of the people in the 1960s enjoying their music were no audiophiles and few would have access to high end klipsch speakers....

More than 2000 years ago, Plato/Socrates complained about the terrible taste of the younger generation. This guy is no different, and he's wrong...

Think you may have helped to help the fire here. We shall see and for the moment will want to contemplate what is being said here in a philosophic fashion as, certain names were incurred here, to wit, old world thinkers of some note. For now, suffice it to say, you are making vital points in my humble estimation. Thanks for your thoughtful reply meanwhile.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hi Claude,

OK so where does one discover the music? I don't get radio at all where I live so how do I find new good music?

My best friend, retired builder (now builds world class speakers for himself)  who samples everything and buys some great stuff. We have similar tastes, so I get most of it from him. In fact, the more commercially successful the artist, the less he wants to listen. Very diversified musical tastes are at play here.

8 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

My previous post was meant to be sarcastic.

The person in the video is biased and prejudiced towards what he calls modern music. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Conversely, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder too.To my 80 year old mother, all rock music sounds the same, from Pink Floyd over ACDC to Bon Jovi and Metallica. In the video, a similar generalisation towards 'modern music' is proposed.

The guy in the video obviously doesn't like 'modern music' - btw, is that a new genre?

To build his argumentation, he uses un-referenced pseudo-science of Spanish origin (!)...

By doing that, he ignores all the wonderful music, uncompressed music that some young talent produces every day of the week, anno 2019.

He prefers to live in the past and he tries to convince us we should do the same.

Also, he ignores the fact that most of his 'old' music was recorded and played back on terribly sounding gear: bad microphones, bad amps, bad radios (compared to contemporary technology). Most of the people in the 1960s enjoying their music were no audiophiles and few would have access to high end klipsch speakers....

More than 2000 years ago, Plato/Socrates complained about the terrible taste of the younger generation. This guy is no different, and he's wrong...

I'm thinking you heard a different presentation..........if not naturally you can think as you like......I would not waste much time debating if the earth is round...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yuper said:

Yea and the doors just sound just like Elvis Presley on drugs. Sly, steppenwolf  jade warrior  mott canned heat temptations willie dixon amboy dukes taste they all sound alike. Smoke another bowl

Good point, I've never considered Bob Dylan Sounded like Black Sabbath, neither did my 90 year old Dad.......

• Like 1

I think my point was missed. I stated and stand by my position the music industry has returned to its old style 1950s marketing roots. Originally the money was in singles, not albums. Most singles were total studio creations that were the most profitable economic model at the time because band’s writing thier own music and creating albums did not yet exist, they had no say. The producers and marketing guys did. The “house” controlled the narrative and the releases. Music was purchased one single at a time. The vast bulk of those tunes were disposable and long forgotten. We remember and hear only the absolute cream from that gigantic crop. We have returned to that model updated to modern tech. It is a fact. The biggest difference is a new player makes the bulk of the money- the distributor , which is now the downloading companies such as Apple. They have filled the same economic niche and stranglehold the Labels did at one time. As they are public shareholder owned companies they seek the maximum return possible, hense the uniformity of much modern top forty style music.They know well the purchasing habits of the modern market, which are singles, they also know the vast majority of purchasers are not audiophiles but listeners of convienince using new primarily blue tooth devices. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this I’m afraid.

• Thanks 1

No, I do tend to recognize sarcasm, as I have at some point, been of like mind. Yet now, we strike out upon old / new debated territories. Technological advances can taint the previous existence of newfound music.

For immediate instance, besides all of the copying of old rock songs by C&W concerns/artists, we have behind us began the inevitable progression, not so much at first but, let us pick a year or decade, I say 1980 when technology was abound to commercialize everything and not just audio.

Video compression realized by an innocent enough present in the early 1985 with the scrambling of analog signals. Later introducing with the advent of concerns like Primestar and then Dish also DirecTV. introducing mpeg 1 and then 2, let one have a clue as to the digital age encroaching upon the spectator / end user of satellite/cable subscribers.

Video at first and then easily audio digital reproduction compromised, I contend within the same allotted bandwidth. For good or bad, commerce at it's greatest epitome of progress. To your ears, is the bottom line: analog/digital, I submit...

I like digital yet, in my contention to with, a compromise for the sake of the almighty dollar.

2 hours ago, Yuper said:

Yea and the doors just sound just like Elvis Presley on drugs. Sly, steppenwolf  jade warrior  mott canned heat temptations willie dixon amboy dukes taste they all sound alike. Smoke another bowl

Just saw mott and Dixon to recognize...all the young ...spoonfuls...Welcome to the forum...:)

I fully agree with the video’s point.  I have been listening to music at my desk for years.  In the early 90s I had a CD player on my pc and learned how to play cds at work, so I borrowed and listened to entire albums of music daily.  The music was inclusive of the 60’s thru the 90’s and mostly of rock, blues and r&b.  

The next decade introduced me to Napster,  iPod, and MP3 players.  I became more selective on the exact musical tracks I liked, and could easily shuffle thru them. So my desk became a jukebox of my singles playlists.  The same thing I did while making a cassette of “traveling music” for roadies 20 years earlier.  

Then came Pandora, Sirius, Spotify, and other web music.  Since we are always plugged in, we can select whatever we want whenever we want.

My brother works for a large firm as their IT manager.  Years ago his employees kept asking him to rip their cds to mp3 so they could have their music portably.  So fo a period of one year he asked their 600 employees to bring in anything they wanted ripped and he’d do it for them.  After that, no more.  So people brought him their cds of Mozart, Bananarama, Travis Tritt, Bon Jovi, Beatles, Madonna, Prince, Pearl Jam, etc...  he ripped all of them and filled 2 terrabits of space.  I have one copy of all of this.  

So for the first years I continued to make “ cool playlists” of my favorite music from this bounty.

In the last year I’ve started listening to the entire albums of each of my favorite bands on this hard drive again.  It is fantastic. 

All those b sides and lost tracks I used to like so much.  I have rediscovered old favorites and found new ones hidden deep within those folders.  Yes it’s still mp3.  No it’s not vinyl.  No it’s not through a $20k system with a “head in a vice” sweet spot.

I am sitting at my desk ENJOYING the art of all of Neil Young, not just Heart Of Gold.  And I am in learning-loving mode again.  

That is what I got out of that video.

Do do you remember the term One Hit Wonder?

1 minute ago, Yuper said:

Look up ian hunter "you're never alone with a schizophrenic " you'll like it

I was a listener to the hooples when 8 tracks were prevalent in the early 70's, but my audio coincided with L60 tires, Hurst hijackers on a chevy Vega lol,  a Friday night cruise strip, and ahhhh….. oh yeah, back to the topic,.... which everyone passed over this evening in the opening video... 3rd and 5th somethings (2chords)

• Thanks 1