Why music started sucking, it's science......

Fish

7 minutes ago, Yuper said:

Look up ian hunter "you're never alone with a schizophrenic " you'll like it

I'm hip...and then the hoople "Wildlife"lp...I hear you knockin'...point in case, somethings are only in analog.

And then a producer but have a block on name...Sweet Jane...wears sunglasses.

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Anyway yes 8 tracks...feel old school somehow...

Lou Reed

lol, .. o O (I guess it's late enough to side track)… I blew up 2 vega engines, and then totaled it out... and put $125 into a 53 chevy pickup, remounted the craig 8 track, and took a trip in the middle of winter with Lou Reeds Rock n Roll Animal, had to camp out in a road side rest room... when the snow let up, highway troopers said "get-out", lol, hit the road, with the one 8 track I had....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, windashine said:

lol, .. o O (I guess it's late enough to side track)… I blew up 2 vega engines, and then totaled it out... and put $125 into a 53 chevy pickup, remounted the craig 8 track, and took a trip in the middle of winter with Lou Reeds Rock n Roll Animal, had to camp out in a road side rest room... when the snow let up, highway troopers said "get-out", lol, hit the road, with the one 8 track I had....

Nils Lofgren Boston was the block...LOLOL, no, I cannot imagine fully what that must have been like except a whitish trip to last for what ever...lol. Like a good roadtrip tale but truth is so unreal there man...lol...suppose you would need a distraction after that. The Vega engines had a bad rap as you have found out. Cool looking and an older brother raised cane with his...what a trip...anyway ole 53 truck made it I suppose...what a natural hoot...:lol:...guess you can laugh now?

Edit: Nils Lofgren...Baltimore not Boston.

2 hours ago, billybob said:

No, I do tend to recognize sarcasm, as I have at some point, been of like mind. Yet now, we strike out upon old / new debated territories. Technological advances can taint the previous existence of newfound music.

For immediate instance, besides all of the copying of old rock songs by C&W concerns/artists, we have behind us began the inevitable progression, not so much at first but, let us pick a year or decade, I say 1980 when technology was abound to commercialize everything and not just audio.

Video compression realized by an innocent enough present in the early 1985 with the scrambling of analog signals. Later introducing with the advent of concerns like Primestar and then Dish also DirecTV. introducing mpeg 1 and then 2, let one have a clue as to the digital age encroaching upon the spectator / end user of satellite/cable subscribers.

Video at first and then easily audio digital reproduction compromised, I contend within the same allotted bandwidth. For good or bad, commerce at it's greatest epitome of progress. To your ears, is the bottom line: analog/digital, I submit...

I like digital yet, in my contention to with, a compromise for the sake of the almighty dollar.

Actually, I pretty much agree with you...

If you look at Netflix - great technology: but what is on offer is 98% bad. But that doesn't mean there are no good, 'modern'  movies made these days. But you'll have to look elsewhere to find them (or buy the blu-ray). And some millennials do exactly that. Just not all of them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Actually, I pretty much agree with you...

If you look at Netflix - great technology: but what is on offer is 98% bad. But that doesn't mean there are no good, 'modern'  movies made these days. But you'll have to look elsewhere to find them (or buy the blu-ray). And some millennials do exactly that. Just not all of them.

In the olden day, I will call them, anything besides commercial TV was a relief. Even watching a groundhog commercial free, uninterrupted was a novelty from networks. Home satellite with it's inception in 78 was a chance not only for entrepreneurs like myself but thousands of others to give the people, at large what they want. Now, it has mostly, except for the most premium channels, slowly reverted back to the same-oh hum-drum. Even PBS, the most vaulted of freedom, has slowly, and by degree backslid, albeit somewhat

less than some others. Sponsors, of any stripe are by design, interested in the recognition which, cause to enrich themselves, in  one form or another. Netflix, I watched a whole lot of just because of the contentment from interruption. Will say that, maybe a greater degree of satisfaction has been derived from than the percentage you have put to it. However, to each his own and appreciate you opinion here and, input.

Edit: vaunted

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hi Claude,

OK so where does one discover the music? I don't get radio at all where I live so how do I find new good music?

Try Net Radio.  You can find stations listed by genre or by country, and you can save your favourites as bookmarks.  In my town, all the new high-rise construction has ruined FM broadcasts from some favourite stations, and cable companies have deleted FM signals from their program feeds, so Net Radio has become my go-to for music listening.

When I got a new AVR in 2016, it was Wi-Fi and HDMI equipped, plus it could receive Net Radio, so I could once again listen to KNKX, the Seattle-Tacoma jazz and blues station that I like, but whose off-the-air signal is now too weak and noisy to listen to, plus new stations I've never heard of, who play music that's mostly new to me.  As well, I bookmarked Longplayer, the thousand-year-long tune that's been playing since January 1, 1999, and will play until January 1, 2999.  It's played on Tibetan singing bowls, and makes for soothing, relaxing, background music.

Here's the Longplayer link:  https://longplayer.org/listen/live-stream/

If you like a mix of modern rock and pop, New Wave, and some classic rock, check out Rocky Mountain Radio:  Altitude.

A website to explore is Radio Garden.  On the site, you see a globe.  You can scroll around and see a list of radio stations for many cities across the globe and choose which one you'd like to listen to.  When you scroll away from a particular station, the signal gets fainter and noisier, like turning a shortwave radio tuning knob.  It's interesting.

Here's the site:  http://radio.garden

• Like 1

Yes the digital world. And if audio video has a lot going for it and, as I cannot stop it, yet there are choices. With the credence of the DAC, one can take some solace in knowing there are still options over and above. Still, I suppose there are some malcontent in the offerings. Otherwise a content person, we or I will, find a way to adapt or...

14 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

The person in the video is biased and prejudiced towards what he calls modern music.

I think you missed his point.

14 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Conversely, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder too

Sure, there are the Shallow Hals out there, but there is a general consensus of what is good, bad, ugly, beautiful, right, wrong, and there is a reason why: Because it's true. 

13 hours ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

For the past 25 years, I have been teaching in secundary school, 

Just like music and song writing ability has declined, there has been a HUGE decline in education, including the secondary level. Where we were first in the world, we are not even in the top ten, now. I am not talking about 2000 years ago, when the world was flat and at the center of the universe. 

To claim the video got it wrong and what others are saying is wrong, then say that there are 'a couple of students interested in..." lends proof that they are not so wrong. 

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Just like music and song writing ability has declined, there has been a HUGE decline in education, including the secondary level.

Oh yes, education was so much better in the 'good old days'. Check this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection

(Sarcasm alert!!!!)

Another brick in the wall

18 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Oh yes, education was so much better in the 'good old days'. Check this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection

(Sarcasm alert!!!!)

Another brick in the wall

We are about to fall out of being in the top 20 in general education. (Fact alert)

There's no glossing over the facts. Some of the worst stereo equipment was produced just after some of the best. That's not just being rosy recollection 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

We are about to fall out of being in the top 20 in general education. (Fact alert)

Better yet get an old McGuffy's Reader and see what students used to have to know. Back in the days when 2+2 still equaled 4 and you did not have to have social engineering constructs to interpret how you should get to 4. Oh and there were only two sexes. I despise current education standards and their deliberate effort to tear us down.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

There's no glossing over the facts. Some of the worst stereo equipment was produced just after some of the best. That's not just being rosy recollection 

I take it you're writing about the situation in the US?

Well, I live in Belgium, you know, its capital is Brussels, which Trump called a 'hell hole'...

I'm hearing the same complaints here, about the downfall of education.

In the videos above, they don't complain about the younger generation, but rather about the 'song factories' in the music industry.

Yes and you are still subjected to the same dumbing down the USA students are by design. The nice thing about statistics is that even as standards of excellence are declining around the world one can still make the claim to be at a certain position relative to others and be right. What is ignored in passing, or due to deliberate deception, is the fact none are as good as they were. One can't possibly be as proficient at hard core disciplines when so much of the four years now involves indoctrination, affirmative action and material not relevant to the major.

8 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Yes and subjected to the same dumbing down the USA students are by design. The nice thing about statistics is that even as standards of excellence are declining around the world one can still make the claim to be at a certain position relative to others and be right. What is ignored in passing, or due to deliberate deception, is the fact none are as good as they were. One can't possibly be as proficient at hard core disciplines when so much of the four years now involves indoctrination, affirmative action and material not relevant to the major.

Don't give up hope. In the past weeks a 17 year old 'talented' and articulate girl, Anuna De Wever, has gone heads to heads with Belgian politicians. She managed to mobilize thousands of highschool students and put the environment on the number one spot for the coming local and European elections in May. The movement even made it to Leonardo Dicaprio 's FB page. You can read about it here.

Some say the educational system may be bad/rotten, but the individual, both teachers and students, still can make a difference. I can only speak for Belgium, of course, but I can vouch for it: the standards of excellence are not declining in the curriculum, at least not on paper. It is just that there are now so many ready available distractions around, all the time calling for attention, social networks and binge watching and computer games, just naming a few of them. For teachers, it is a brutal force to deal with. Add to that, the often difficult home situation of many students.

18 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Don't give up hope. In the past weeks a 17 year old 'talented' and articulate girl, Anuna De Wever, has gone heads to heads with Belgian politicians. She managed to mobilize thousands of highschool students and put the environment on the number one spot for the coming local and European elections in May. The movement even made it to Leonardo Dicaprio 's FB page. You can read about it here.

Some say the educational system may be bad/rotten, but the individual, both teachers and students, still can make a difference. I can only speak for Belgium, of course, but I can vouch for it: the standards of excellence are not declining in the curriculum, at least not on paper. It is just that there are now so many ready available distractions around, all the time calling for attention, social networks and binge watching and computer games, just naming a few of them. For teachers, it is a brutal force to deal with. Add to that, the often difficult home situation of many students.

Nothing new. Ignorant kids have been throwing tantrums for thousands of years. In the US, there are some trying to ban the Pledge Allegiance to the Flag. 

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I was only pointing out that some things do decline such as what has been mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Better yet get an old McGuffy's Reader and see what students used to have to know. Back in the days when 2+2 still equaled 4 and you did not have to have social engineering constructs to interpret how you should get to 4. Oh and there were only two sexes. I despise current education standards and their deliberate effort to tear us down.

Be patient---maybe they will add a few more sexes.

JJK