RB-5 speakers, low output?

abracadabra

Howdy folks,

I've inherited some stuff from a friend who's not doing so well.  I now have a pile of his stereo gear and was just testing out some Klipsch RB-5 speakers. 

They have a very low output, they sound terrible.  Not sure if they're both just blown or what.  Visibly everything looks fine but I haven't opened them up.

I'm using them with an older NAB receiver and Thorens turntable, both of which work just fine. 

The speaker wires look ok too, in fact I"m using the same wire to power some old Pioneers right now.

I'm really not a stereo expert at all but would love to put theses speakers to use.

What could be the problem?

thanks

Abra

• Like 1

Is the turntable connected to the phono input or an aux/line/tape input?

If there isn't a phono input, the turntable needs to plug into a phono preamp that will then plug into the NAB (NAD?).

Bruce

• Like 1

Phono is plugged in to the phono input on the NAB receiver.

I'm running the same speaker cable and NAB receiver with some old Pioneers, so I know the RB-5's are the problem.

To describe the sound more...imagine if you had a pair of headphones plugged in and cranked the stereo.  You can sorta hear the music but it sounds low (this is without wearing headphones of course).

Both speakers sound like this,  and I've tried using both the A and B speaker outputs, same result.

thanks,

Mk

Hmm I don't see here the jumpers would be, nothing marked HF or LF on the back.

I did notice Ohm setting was adjustable on back, its set to 8 which is what the RB-5's should be at.

Mk

The jumpers would be where the terminal is. It'd be tied red-to-red, black-to-black.  Are you referring to a setting on your amp?  Klipsch don't have adjustable impedance.

224e8866b748d9cdaf87b78edca73731.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah no jumpers here.  Thing is, I'm sure my friend was using these speakers at some point & when I moved the stuff from hid place he had the speaker cable just going in to the top connectors in the back of the speakers.

So I need to jumper these in order for them to work?

I've never had speakers that needed this, but then again I've mostly had old Pioneers & the like.

Abra

1 minute ago, abracadabra said:

Awesome I will try this tomorrow and report back.  I was hoping it was something simple!  I'm really looking forward to using these RB-5's in conjunction with my current old Pioneers...

Abra

You may well be good to go. Just noticed History Kid gave you a decent pic so...

2 hours ago, abracadabra said:

Howdy folks,

I've inherited some stuff from a friend who's not doing so well.  I now have a pile of his stereo gear and was just testing out some Klipsch RB-5 speakers. 

They have a very low output, they sound terrible.  Not sure if they're both just blown or what.  Visibly everything looks fine but I haven't opened them up.

I'm using them with an older NAB receiver and Thorens turntable, both of which work just fine. 

The speaker wires look ok too, in fact I"m using the same wire to power some old Pioneers right now.

I'm really not a stereo expert at all but would love to put theses speakers to use.

What could be the problem?

thanks

Abra

BTW, hope your friend is doing better soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abracadabra said:

Unfortunately my friend is waaay down the road with Parkinson's.   He's very close to the end & I've been helping his daughter deal with his stuff, hence inherting his stereo gear & records.

Abra

Very unfortunate, yet always hope, somehow.

Meanwhile, this is a good place to get help and opinions in case of any future circumstance.

We have a vast base here...Thanks!

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Very unfortunate, yet always hope, somehow.

Meanwhile, this is a good place to get help and opinions in case of any future circumstance.

We have a vast base here...Thanks!

Meanwhile should have stated as your friend may inherently already know, music can help in this situation. Best of good fortune