Woot! Woot! Saved from the curb...

Mallette

Panny SA-XR 70. My dearly departed wife sent it back saying it was dead. It was. I am no tech, but don't send things to the curb. Opened it up and saw a bit of goo on a part. Posted in tech and @Marvel confirmed it had lost its magic smoke, probably in service to the amp. So, ordered on up and it's back in business for six bucks! Going to put the speakers up on the top of the kitchen cabinets tomorrow. My vintage and much enjoyed LX-5 Lynaems from the late, lamented Radio Shack. 

Dave

20190201_213836.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mallette said:

Panny SA-XR 70. My dearly departed wife sent it back saying it was dead. It was. I am no tech, but don't send things to the curb. Opened it up and saw a bit of goo on a part. Posted in tech and @Marvel confirmed it had lost its magic smoke, probably in service to the amp. So, ordered on up and it's back in business for six bucks! Going to put the speakers up on the top of the kitchen cabinets tomorrow. My vintage and much enjoyed LX-5 Lynaems from the late, lamented Radio Shack. 

Dave

20190201_213836.jpg

I have a pair of the pro lx5

IMG_20190202_081854_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I have a pair of the pro lx5

One of the best low cost near field speakers I ever owned. Used them on my PC for years and always said one of the few that didn't make me want to jump up and run to the K'horns when listening to something well recorded.

That 360 dispersion provides a seamless experience totally free from "beaming." Always wondered why they weren't more widely used. Clearly not a matter of cost. 

Dave

• Like 1

Well, all done. Sounds great! So, the house is now complete with FM from front to rear so I can play things on my main system through the Ramsey FM transmitter I built. It sounds better than most all stations. Sad they went under...I suspect the continuing legal assault from the Feds did them in finally. Great stuff! Did a search on Aliexpress and found  quite a few up to 50w! That would almost certainly get you noticed in a metro area, but well out in the woods (like 25 miles from any significant town and a 100 from a significant metro area) you might get away with it. I would go over 1w in a city. I've run my for years now in Houston and now in Texarkana and it covers my yard nicely. A few were switchable from 1w to 7w. Specs said 200 meters at 7w. But the provided BNC mount antenna is very small...I am certain you get a mile or more with a full wave antenna. Sound quality? Didn't see any commentary pro or con. All the 5 star reviews I looked at commented only on range, build quality, and ease of use. Highly recommend these for wife friendly, easy, inexpensive access to your main system. 

Ramsey.png

20190202_112927[1].jpg

• Like 1